Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2012 5:20:24 PM PDT
I have a small pond behind my property. Yesturday my kids came screaming in the house snake! Anything out there to catch them without touching them

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:40:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 6:40:27 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
Barbara, the snake is probably harmless. It would be useful to know what poisonous snakes can be found in your area so you can identify and avoid them. In the US, I believe there are just four categories of poisonous snakes: cottonmouths/water mocassins, rattlesnakes, copperheads and coral snakes. You can find information about them here: <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/snakes>

Most of the snakes I have seen in my garden have one or more stripes that extend from the head to the tail, and none of these are poisonous. Please do not harm them or try to catch them! Just let them be. In fact, they can offer your garden some protection by eating small rodents and other pests.

Posted on May 28, 2012 3:09:27 AM PDT
Les Schmader says:
Be careful. Have someone identify what kind of snakes these are. Many snakes like garter, milk, and black snakes are harmless and even beneficial, but some are poisonous like rattlesnakes, copperheads, etc.

Someone in your area will be aware of what types to expect and will probably just go pick them up and move them if you want. If they are more dangerous, then a more qualified and experienced individual will need to collect them for you.

A garden/lawn pond might attract a few of the more pleasant ones, but a field pond could draw in some of the nastier ones.

I'd suggest you get someone with experience on site to advise you. A local game warden or sportsman's club member could identify them. Until then just stay away.

Posted on May 28, 2012 4:55:28 AM PDT
I don't know if this will work but I remember an article written by Dave Barry years ago that talked about a product that actually worked called "Snake Away". I seem to remember him saying the main ingredient was sulfur. Good Luck, poisonous or not, I can't stand the things and have told my husband if I ever see one anywhere we are living, we're moving!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 9:08:51 AM PDT
For the last several years I have used SERPENT GUARD, you can check it out on line at serpentguard.com. From my understanding it is nontoxic. The scent is cinnamon like--not quite as nice. I was prepared to move after seeing a variety of snakes (including a rattle snake) in my courtyard and around the house. This is my fourth year using it and I have seen none on my property since I began. I called and asked a lot of questions before I purchased it, and the woman I spoke with was exceptionally helpful. I use it at double strength, one bottle of the mixture to one gallon of water, using a sprayer all around the house. You don't have to cover every inch. The more you purchase the cheaper it is, and it lasts. I'm using last year's purchase this year. The effects are cumulative too, and rain doesn't seem to diminish it's effect. They have a 100% money back guarantee too. I start in April as use it about every 6-8 weeks until September. Way better than moving for me!

Posted on May 28, 2012 12:33:01 PM PDT
Try moth balls in the area. It worked for us

Posted on May 28, 2012 8:50:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 8:54:23 PM PDT
Heddy711 says:
What is best products to use for repelling Garden and Water snakes? Moth balls didn't work.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 8:28:11 PM PDT
"I have a small pond behind my property. Yesturday my kids came screaming in the house snake! Anything out there to catch them without touching them "

If all you want to do is catch them, why not use an old pillow case? A stick with a Y shaped end can be used to trap them behind the head without touching them, then take the pillow case and cover it up and tie it shut when you get it inside. You can then take it where ever you want.

Posted on Jun 14, 2012 12:10:46 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:36:21 AM PDT
Zephyr7 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:44:54 AM PDT
KraftyKid says:
Good advice. We have lots of them out in the pasture but I have not seen any up here by the house, what a disappointment. I must advise you that they can bite. I didn't see the snake and as as I was mowing I cut off the poor things tail. It didn't hurt, but that little thing did get its revenge. :-)

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 7:52:55 AM PDT
KraftyKid says:
Don't forget the little garden snake also catches mice. We don't have any poison
ous snake in this part of the state. I can only presume from the responses that some of you must.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:46:52 PM PDT
You should just leave the thing be if you get it identified and it's not poisonous. It's probably more scared of the big loud pink things than you or your kids are of it. We've had garter snakes for years at our house, and they flee as soon as they realize that a human (or dog) has seen them. I would imagine just about any non-poisonous snake shorter than your arm will do the same. Just tell your kids to leave it alone and not try to catch it, and they'll be fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:40:36 AM PDT
Jan says:
I could have written your post regarding "can't stand snakes".

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 1:43:31 PM PDT
Sigh. Snakes are as much God's creatures as we are. I don't remember the exact statistics, but I know it is greater than 80%. That being the number of people bitten by snakes are those who insist on interacting with them. That is whether to capture them, or to kill them. Snake deterrents are a joke, and none have been found to be effective in studies. The best thing to do is leave it alone, or if you absolutely must have it removed, have it done by an expert.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 12:16:09 AM PDT
Duffyrhonda says:
Moth balls are poisonous to people and pets as well as small wild life.
Please use caution if you choose to use these-its not a safe idea.
If you do use moth balls-thoroughly read the warnings on the box before you purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 10:16:56 PM PDT
SoCal92672 says:
www.serpentguard.com - you can order snake repellent here and it works. It is pricey, but it works! I live in SoCal by the beach, but this year we've had several different kinds of garter snakes appear. Haven't seen on since using this spray. By the way there are others out there but that stink something awful. Serpent Guard does not have that terrible smell. Try it.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 5:03:41 PM PDT
Rick V. says:
Recent lessons learned after discovering a rattle snake on my entry way I'd like to share....After eliminating this snake (small children live next door) I discovered a 2nd rattler about an hour later within 10 feet of the first. This time the neighbor offered to call 911 and found that in Los Angeles city the Fire Dept can assist (time and assets permitting) and they shared the following intel...Rattle snake bites are rarely fatal these days but tissue and nerve damage will result requiring a speedy visit to the local ER (don't drive yourself). DO NOT cut the bite open to suck out the venom or apply ice or tourniquet or bind the wound. Treat only for Shock and elevate the limb until help arrives. The Doctors need to get the species confirmed for best outcome so be prepared to at least show a photo or carcass to neighbor or paramedic etc before leaving for the clinic. Things to remember, If you see one immediately check for others in the area, then make sure someone keeps an eye on it while calling for assistance or fetching a shovel or hoe. (nothing worse than losing sight of it and having to hunt it down). Not all snake bites result in venom, a dry bite is possible as snakes use venom to hunt and feed as well as defense. Rattle snakes are not aggressive and prefer retreat to attack. They were here first and deserve to live...they really are beautiful animals and consequently you might get lucky with a Goggle search and find a resource to capture and remove for later release those you find if you can trap it (cover with trash can etc.) While a bite may not be fatal, a round of anti venom can start at $30,000. these days so approach with caution. Local health department can refer you to internet resources for your area so educate yourself before a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 8:47:58 AM PDT
M. Williams says:
I kill every snake I see. It takes a very large snake to eat your typical rodent. When is the last time you saw a rodent in your garden anyway? The snakes you see in your garden are eating the small frogs and toads that are eating the bugs and insects that attack the leaves on your plants.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 11:56:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 12:00:42 PM PDT
Barbara, geese are snake hunters. Should you choose to get a pair, you should probably hand raise them because they can be agressive toward strangers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:17:54 PM PDT
I agree. I hate any snake, I will not walk on the lawn, once we've seen one, also tell people who say have them arround their house, ect yard, I will never stop by to visit, only when the climate is colder !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 7:24:57 AM PDT
Joe Rhodes says:
Not a very large one at all. Two to three feet can eat mice easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 1:19:43 PM PDT
J. Shivers says:
Someone else said it but it bears repeating. 100% DO NOT USE MOTHBALLS, they are highly toxic and can even kill cats and dogs.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:11:14 PM PDT
Ms. says:
I always take care to protect snakes in the yard and don't hesitate to snatch them from the path of the lawnmower barehanded. If they are too small to eat rodents (voles have caused vast damage in my gardens), they do consume a variety of insect pests and most US species are absolutely harmless to humans. Though it is possible that a poisonous snake or two might stray into suburban or even urban areas, most of even those bad boys are non-agressive unless stepped on or otherwise molested. I think you probably have a far greater chance of running into a problem human than a problem snake in most areas of the US. In Australia, Africa, India, Central/South America, the odds of encountering a nasty serpent increase considerably, though. And I second the nix on the mothballs; they are poison to most life forms.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 6:34:32 AM PDT
paedae 249 says:
Be careful, even the nice garden snakes can be agressive and bite. I have had one living in a retaining wall for a few years and he is even aggressive with my dogs. I agree that they do not hunt mice well but seem to feed only on toads and frogs. Have been looking for a way to get rid of him, without killing him so going to try the serpent guard and hope that it works.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (196 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  May 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions