Koi went missing in garden pond

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2012 7:56:49 AM PDT
Taurus Jude says:
Well after winter I went to find the dozen Koi I had been nurturing for the last few years had dwindled to one. I've named him Wily because he was the only one with enough wits to survive. On asking around most people seem to think it's Herron but could be raccoons or fox all of which we have locally. First a Herron decoy was suggested but you can't use this until after mating season otherwise you just attract more. I didn't think old Wily could last that long as it was only early May so continued to look for more solutions. Learnt you can order alligator decoys which is meant to deter all critters. Was skeptical but desperate to try anything. Got just the head decoy as my pond was too small for the whole thing. Started adding more Koi slowly, waiting for them to disappear. I thought one went missing but he turned up a few days later obviously been hiding out in plants. To date all is well and have very happy Koi and alligator pets. Try it if you are having trouble keeping animals away from your Koi they are very expensive sushi.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:29:56 PM PDT
Paul123 says:
I had koi in my pond and thought it was nice to see a herron until I realize he was eating my koi. Assuming your pond has some depth try putting hollow bricks in the pond so the koi can swim into the little "caves". It seemed to work for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 12:31:50 PM PDT
M. Lynch says:
My husband and I lived in a house that came with about 7 Koi in the pond. They were big beautiful Koi. We went out of town and came home to a massacre! Ours were eaten by raccoons and they are not clean when they eat fish. There were fish heads scattered around our back yard. I have a feeling that your problem may have been herron because you never had any sign of trouble in the pond until you realized that just Willy made it through the winter. Once a critter finds a fish pond, they usually keep coming back until they've ruined it.
The other thing about the raccons and our pond, they pulled the hose out of the pond that circulated the water, so they DRAINED the 6 ft deep pond by removing the hose and then went to town when the fish had no where to go. Those coons are sneaky little bastards!

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 4:23:02 PM PDT
Jeep Stanley says:
I have both herron and raccoons in our area. This one trick has saved my fish. I bought a large fine mesh net and placed it over the pond. The net is barely visible, since it has such fine mesh. The birds and animals stay away from the net, since they know they can get tangled themselves. So pay ten bucks, put a net , stretch it over the outline of your pond , secure ends with flat stones, so it blends into the area and relax. Your fish will be fine and stress free.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 8:31:48 AM PDT
John H. Winn says:
What pellet type poison works best to kill racoons?

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:58:00 AM PDT
When you feed your fish throw the food away from shore, that way they don't associate a form on the shore with food and come swimming up to a raccoon or heron. At least make them work for a meal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 4:27:54 PM PDT
every year we have herons around. We put a few stakes around our pond. Then attached some sort of lightweight netting over the pond and down over the wooden stakes. I leave it on for about a month untill the hernon is gone. Have'nt had a problem since

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:59:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 7:03:25 PM PDT
( Reply to John H. Winn: What pellet type poison works best to kill racoons? )

You Better go buy yourself some real good insurance, because when you put out poison pellets there's no guarantee that your going to KILL!......It could be someone's pet or someone child! And you need to contact your state's Wildlife and Fishers Game Warden to see what kind of laws your violating for attempting to poison wildlife.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 4:59:58 AM PDT
Beach Bum says:
Duck decoys make good deterrents as well. They are small, fun to look at and animals know that ducks in nature will chase anything away from their nest. I put a pair of mallard decoys in my pond and have had no missing koi since.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:23:39 AM PDT
"What pellet type poison works best to kill racoons?"

Not that I've done this before, but I remember a few years ago we had a problem with a number of coons on the job site. It was a large commercial building and the varmints were feeding off the garbage from the lunches. We removed the garbage, but a few still remained.

This is what one guy did, as the coons had destroyed his tool bags:

Ramik Lure for Racoons was put around a metal pie tin. The pie tin was filled with Mountain Dew and antifreeze. When we came to work the next day it was dead. It was found 10 feet away hanging from a railing in an open stairway with vomit spewed out three feet from it's mouth with the drool still hanging there, as well as feces sprayed out almost as far in the other direction.

Just saying . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 5:29:38 AM PDT
Antifreeze is attractive to most animals, including the neighbors dog or cat. Please don't put antifreeze out in the open where someones pet can get to it. Get your local animal warden or contact wildlife services in your area and get a "have a heart trap", check with local laws about where and if you can catch and release somewhere else.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:01:54 AM PDT
I had koi for several years and they were large. I had noticed that one of my fish had a wound on it's side and thought that neighbor kids had been using the fish for target practice with bow and arrow.
(found a couple of arrows in my back yard).
I went out to check the fish and could only see one. I looked closely and sure enough I had only one fish left out of the original 8.
Then the strange thing happened. We started to get fleas in our living room and could not imagine where they were coming from.
I placed a light over a bowl filled with water and a couple drops of detergent. The next morning I had several hundred fleas in the bowl of water.
I sprayed the carpet and yet I was still getting fleas on my pants legs.
We had heard something in the fireplace but thought it was the birds that build nest in the chimney. I removed the side panel on the wood stove that is inserted in the fireplace.
I was amazed to find a dead coon. It had climbed up a tree and fallen into the chimney and could not get out. I removed the dead animal and found it to be almost completely dried.
That is what was getting my koi...and that is where the massive amount of fleas were coming from. Coons usually have a large amount of parasites on their bodies. When the coon died, the fleas left to search for blood.We have seen several more coons in the neighborhood since then. I have yet to get more koi as replacements. I plan to get some in the future and place
a protective screen over the inground pool.If I see more coons in my yard, I will get a trap set to catch them. I can't put out poison because of the cats and birds that we have.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:03:22 AM PDT
Per the raccoon discussion:

Yeah, the antifreeze post was for the discerning, not really a suggestion. Obviously, you would only do this if animal control or your local government would not remove the pest, and all other options failed first. If you do it, be careful - it does work though. I don't know the situation, I just commented on what was written. It's not something I encourage.

As for the havahart . . . eh . . . If you trap it , remember to kill it, or have it killed, after capture. The real point of the havahart trap is is to protect weak stomachs until you are out of earshot of said stomachs. Relocation is never the answer. All you are doing is giving your problem to someone else. Raccoons are most definitely not endangered. I wouldn't worry about killing it. Really, unless the DNR gives you permission to dump it in a state park (which they most likely will not, due to possible disease transmission - think fish from one lake to the next), all you are doing is taking it to someone's property and making it someone else's problem - a problem they didn't have before someone's compassionate "heart" gave it to them. Think about it, do you really know who owns that field or woods where you may dump it? Probably not, and I bet someone lives within 20 miles of that secret haven for relocated raccoons. That coon will travel and find the same type of resources on another property, probably garbage cans, that it was feeding on before.

They may also come back. Try it sometime. I know people who have "relocated" them out of town, only to have them, or their buddies return. Raccoons may carry rabies (rabies shots aren't terrible, but why risk it?), they destroy structures, eat through plastic garbage cans, and seem to give you the finger while slinking away after destroying your property.

I understand the meaning behind John H. Winn's question very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 1:06:38 PM PDT
MASTERMAT says:
first i put a net out but that did not work then in winter i put out a wooden frame with 1/4 inch heavy wire mesh stapled on to the frame. this kept all the animals away. in the summer i went with bamboo poles and the fine neting. i would have to fix or adjust it every week or so but worth it. u can not see the fine netting and the bamboo poles across the pond look nice. i did it because before the coons would sit on the netting and trap a fish in the corner and kill it. then tear a hole in the netting. the poles did not alow them to do this so they gave up...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 1:12:51 PM PDT
MASTERMAT says:
clap your hands or ring a bell so the fish respond to that sound. fish can learn to kow one person if u get close to the water.also u can talk to them and they will know your voice. the biger the pond the more you should use a bell. have it mounted on a pole and have the striker hanging ready.. in japan and china they do this so a whole pond of fish will come. so they can see how they are doing...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 1:16:41 PM PDT
MASTERMAT says:
put out a catch live trap. then if u must kill them drown them in a large tub of water still in the trap..puting out poison u could kill anything including someones dog or cat or some kid playing...and you would go to jail cause a reasonable person knows a young child will put anything in their mouth..

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 4:13:07 AM PDT
Lynda says:
place bamboo poles around the perimeter of the pond. 2 on each side, about 8" apart. This discourages heron as they cannot manuveur the poles. Adds a nice Zen touch to the pond, also!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 9:00:19 AM PDT
I have a pond with three levels: 1 foot, 2 feet, 40 inches. Herons and egrets, plus racoons were having a good 'ol time in my pond. Herons and egrets are wading birds, they can't dive; neither can racoons. Not liking the looks of a net, not wanting traps and drowning (ugg), not wanting poisoning (ugg), I first put duck decoys in the pond. Then I collected fallen branches and criss-crossed them over the shallow end of the pond. The birds could land, but while they were stepping over the branches, the fish dove to the deep end where the birds couldn't get them. Same thing for the racoons--they'd get into the water, but navagating around the branches gave the fish time to dive. It all looked very natural, and I didn't lose any more fish.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 2:31:00 PM PDT
.00 buck or a slug
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions