Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2013 5:16:52 AM PST
How do you get rid of fleas outside....

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:15:25 PM PST
M. Martinez says:
I'd love an answer to this myself ! We live in the country, I have a dog, & cat & the dog picks up fleas constantly. She's totally fenced in (does not run free),, I have Clark Pest Control come & spray the entire backyard monthly ( for over 3 years we've done this) and I still have fleas. I never see any in the backyard, but the dog gets them, so she must be picking them up in the backyard. I also wash the dog weekly, plus her bedding. At times, I've washed the dog every single day to rid fleas. I wash her with Dawn Dishwashing detergent & it kills all the fleas on her as I see them dead on her. My dog groomer ( yes, I even take her to the groomer) uses the Dawn Dishwashing detergent. They say it works wonderful to kill fleas, & it does..... But within a few days, she's got about 20 fleas on her again.
I NEED HELP

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:10:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 8:14:13 AM PST
Keldog says:
I have found that something called Brewers Yeast is THE BEST,
Found at the health food store, I put it ON TOP OF THE FOOD, not IN it. Your pet has to eat through the yeast to get to its food.
Once the yeast gets into the blood system, the fleas jump off quickly, because they don't like the taste of the pet's blood.
VOILA!
No more fleas!
Whoo Hoo!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 5:10:57 PM PST
bed bugs and fleas -Spray bed cloths and covers with rubbing alcohol,
Also Diamatatious earth by Safer--get it from Home depot just sweep it
into floor cracks and carpet.
For on pets AvantageII took care of them on my cat in 12 hours
Darrell

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 5:19:28 PM PST
M. Martinez says:
I went out & bought the Brewers Yeast after reading your post. My dog has been on it now for 3 days. I'm really hoping this works. Thanks so much for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 5:22:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 5:22:32 PM PST
M. Martinez says:
I did know about the Diamatatious earth. Never heard about the rubbing alcohol.... But I may just try that.
Yes, I use Advantage & switch to Frontline off & on.... The dog still has fleas when using these products. I don't understand why.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 7:13:34 PM PST
Fleas are such pests..I have been researching and found that the Diatomaceous Earth is really good. It's all natural..You can put it on your pets and on your carpet. They also have a Food-grade..through Amazon..A better grade. I am going to buy the 20 lb bag for the carpet and the yard..& put the Food-grade(better on the cats). My sisters' several pets were infested..She bought the Diatomaceous Earth..They no longer have fleas. It is a powder..there still are precautions with anyone that has allergies. Atleast it itsnt an insecticide.
Good Luck,
Gina
Hudson, Fl.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 7:32:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2013 7:33:47 PM PST
M. Martinez says:
Thanks for your input. You are right, fleas are such pests. They are so very difficult to get rid of. I know I have spent thousands of dollars over the years on fleas. At $100.00 a month for a pest control service to spray our yard, ( & we've had this service for over 3 years ) & we still have fleas. They say racoons are bringing them in at night. I've never seen a racoon in our yard, but not to say they could come in at night. We do live in the country. I will try the DE also. I am so tired of this battle. I just want my dog to be flea free !!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 4:57:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2013 5:01:20 PM PST
Gratefulness says:
I live in North Central Florida and the fleas here seem to be immune to everything. My dog is allergic to fleas and breaks out in huge rashes that eventually turn into open sores because she bites herself because of the itch. There are two new products available from Veterinarians only or with a prescription from a Vet and then you can purchase online. The first is for fleas only and it is called Comfortis and is a pill that I crush up and put in her food. It stopped all fleas on her within 2 hours and lasts for a month. It runs me about $15 a month and is well worth it in my situation! The other product is similar but also protects against heart worms as well as fleas and it is called Trifectis. It is the same pill that can be crushed up or given whole monthly and runs about $17 a month. I highly suggest either...they work fantastic!! You can google either and read about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 5:39:10 AM PST
M. Martinez says:
Thank you soooo much. This sounds like it could be a winner. I'm looking into it. I really appreciate your input.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 6:43:52 AM PST
Gratefulness says:
You are very welcome, a friend of mine told me about it shortly after it came out and it's been a blessing for my dog and me. I will tell you that the first time I gave it to her in whole form without crushing it up, she couldn't keep it down and it all came back up. My Vet gave me another one and that is why I crush it up in the package before I open it and then just sprinkle it on her food. The results are so fast it's amazing and it does last a full month. I started with the Comfortis and then changed to the Trifectis because it protects against heart worms too which can be contacted through mosquito bites and very dangerous to pets and it also protects against other parasites. Good Luck I haven't heard of any cases when it didn't work as I suggest it to my friends.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 4:10:18 PM PST
crowebabe says:
My cats had fleas so bad while I lived in PA that I had over a hundred bites on each leg, knee down only. I bought a dip from MY VET, used it per HIS & the label's directions. I "dipped" them after work. Went to work the next day & when I came home...no cats. ALL pet owners know our pets know our schedules so they (most of them) can greet us at the door. Mine didn't that day so I knew something was wrong. I found the 2 in the basement, convulsing. I immediately called my Vet, he told me to get them in a warm bath ASAP. I did. They were sisters, Snoopy, (black & white, black moustache) & Blu ( all black but amazingly bright, u guessed it, blu..e eyes =) ). Snoopy stopped convulsing but Blu continued for another 3 yes, THREE DAYS. The tip of her tongue turned black from panting so long, the Vet thought he might have to amputate it. I was told Snoopy would live but not Blu. They BOTH lived. Now here's the kicker, why?
My Vet sent the Flea Dip away to a LAB to be checked for any "unknowns". There were non. During this I put some flea collars on them (this was right b4 the at home drops, I'm dating myself I know) My cats had a reaction to the collars. Foaming at the mouth, vomiting, no appetite, fur loss around the collars.... Bottom line my Vet came up w/ was..
Snoopy & Blu were ALLERGIC to ALL flea products. The only recourse I had was to call an exterminator & get on a plan for monthly "gassings" for the house only. But it did work. After a month or two we were flealess.
Snoopy & Blu both lived to be 16yrs old & to enjoy our move to our permanent home here in CO where we have NO fleas, heartworms, mosquitoes etc.
So, please w/ ALL the products out there, just be careful. Keep an eye on ur pet after 1st using ANYTHING even if its Holistic (ie: garlic powder will help rid cats of fleas but is deadly to dogs). Just like humans animals can have allergies as different as their personalities.
Thanx for reading my 2 cents.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 12:39:42 PM PST
Grandpa says:
Fertilize the yard heavily. It makes the ground hot and the ticks and fleas will not live there. Works great. Neighbors won't like you unless you tell them so they can also fertilize. You will have a better looking yard too!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2013 2:21:48 PM PST
Gratefulness says:
That didn't rid my yard of fleas because they thrive in barkdust. The only place that I have found that fleas do not live is in the dry high desert country. They can't survive there and it is so bliss :) Other than there all you can do is to try to keep them from surviving and thriving on your pet.

Posted on Feb 25, 2013 3:01:56 PM PST
Bongo says:
They could also be in your carpet if you have it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 6:43:46 AM PST
How much Brewers Yeast do you add to the food/

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 4:14:36 PM PST
nancy owen says:
there is a product called triazicide (not sure of spelling) I get it at lowes for around $8.00 this covers 16,000 sq ft. hook bottle up to hose and spray it on then water it in. have to keep pets off till dry. i have used this for 5 years and last year i did not and we had fleas. it must work. it also kills 134 different bugs including grubs which moles love so i think it is a good product.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 7:20:27 AM PST
Hi. The best thing to do - Go to a pool-place get Dicalite, which is for swimmingpool filters. It comes in 10 pounds bags and is about $10 til $12 - springle it in your yard by hand, make sure to use a mask. It does not hurt your dog or cat, but the fleas will disapear very quickly. I used it about 3 month ago and not one flea is left. Good luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 6:37:04 PM PST
Toney. says:
Yes your right, that comfortis works really well.. That's what I use for my two pets. Dogs that is :-). They work the best..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 5:08:52 PM PDT
Allen says:
From the Safer website,
"Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes. Avoid breathing dust. Use adequate ventilation. Wear suitable dust mask when using this product during prolonged exposure."
I don't think I would put it on the carpet where pets, kids, or adults could come into contact with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 6:56:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 6:59:32 AM PDT
Gratefulness says:
Since I have been using Comfortis for my dog, I don't think I even have fleas anymore, meaning in the carpet or indoors. If they are outside in my lawn it doesn't matter because it doesn't effect her and she doesn't bring them inside.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 12:35:53 PM PDT
jbegg70566 says:
Gasoline. Boimbard the yard with it. It will kill your grass but also the fleas

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 3:22:30 AM PDT
I had a house infested with fleas and bought a couple boxes of 3 Mule Team Borax (old fashioned laundry detergent) from the grocery store. Sprinkle it through your house and leave at least overnight if not longer then vacuum it up and it will kill off the fleas. Something to do with taking the moisture away from the fleas and dehydrating them until they die. Didn't bother the pets at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 4:06:25 AM PDT
CariJordan says:
I've got 3 big dogs, each has a different skin problem, however, (knock on wood), I don't have a flea problem. Here's what I do: I wash the dogs with sulfadene dog shampoo, I buy it at the pet store or at Walmart, treat them once a month with Frontline, or equilavent, then if they start scratching, then I spray them with a spraybottle of 1/2 water & 1/2 skin so soft by Avon.
Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 4:16:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 4:19:02 AM PDT
This really does work. We live on 40 acres and have about 7 acres fenced in for the dogs to run and where our house is. I have big dogs who also come in the house. Comfort is is wonderful and you don't have to use it every month. If your dogs don't leave your yard,as mine don't, you can go quite awhile before using it again.
Squirrels bring a lot of fleas into a yard.
I don't like the products you put on their backs that's why I started using the pills. They are safe and work!
I also live in central Florida, Sumter county.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (199 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2013
Latest post:  May 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions