Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 2:58:24 PM PDT
does anyone have any suggestions on how i can stop my dog from digging. She is a dashhound and is obsessed with digging for rodents my back yard looks like a mine field' HELP

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 2:51:20 AM PDT
Karen Tropf says:
I found that spraying bleach in the area prevented further digging. I've not found a remedy to keep them from beginning to dig...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 11:44:37 AM PDT
thank u i will try that

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:26:30 PM PDT
watch Old Yeller

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:33:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:34:58 AM PDT
put their dog poop in the hole they dig and cover it up. They will never go back to that spot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:53:43 AM PDT
thank u i will try that. can it be another dogs

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:37:06 AM PDT
i tried everything to stop my beagle from digging. the poop worked but she would just dig somewhere else. i tried sprays and the only thing that really helped was installing a invisible fence. she will sometimes still dig a small hole but nothing like before. when i catch her i yell "no dig" and with her nose full of dirt she will run like crazy .good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 12:00:33 PM PDT
thank u i am beside myself

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 3:52:51 PM PDT
KC says:
Your dog is only doing what she was bred for. Punishing her for that is wrong. Better to find her a home where she can be herself and then you need to do a lot of research to find a breed that fits your lifestyle.

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 7:16:05 AM PDT
Ingrid says:
All dogs are likely to dig, but you can work on it. Having rodents makes it hard - when my current dogs were young, they tried to help me with a gopher problem. Yikes! I had holes bigger than the dogs. Dog poop works, but it's sort of a general digging solution - doesn't help much with hunting. Drop white vinegar & powdered laundry soap down the squirrel holes. White vinegar to try to encourage the squirrels to move, powdered detergent because the dog doesn't like it. For recreational digging, you can give your dog plenty of alternate exercise, OR, how about setting up a play area where she CAN dig? To be honest, if we sent all our dogs to live with people who let them do what the breed was originally bred for, one of mine would have to go live with someone who has cattle, and the other would go to the military.EVERYONE'S dog would be killing cats & chickens. Dogs are adaptable, or we would never have domesticated them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2013 11:55:28 AM PDT
Princess says:
Seriously?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2013 5:54:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 12, 2013 5:54:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 7:47:30 AM PDT
S. Conner says:
I've had great success by creating a digging hole that is for my digger (a 26lb rat terrier). I have an area about 3 feet by 3 feet that I dug about 2 feet or so deep and softened up the soil. Then I put some nylabones and toys in the dirt and buried them. That is "his" dig site and he loves it. Of course, I go out there every day and rake the dirt back in so he can "discover" the prizes all over again, but it has been awesome-it's the only place he digs.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (197 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions