Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Chipmunks......The best way to eliminate them??????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2012 2:31:00 PM PST
Robert says:
Eliminating these little pests. I tried everything. There must be a simple product and answer

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 3:59:23 AM PST
D.Boy says:
The simple solution is to get an air rifle and get in some target practice. If that doesn't appeal to you go to the animal shelter and get a couple of mean tomcats that have been neutered. Don't treat them nice and make pets of them and keep them in the house. Leave them outside and only feed them once a day and they'll take care of the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 10:37:35 AM PST
The smallest cage-type live traps are also very effective in trap and transferring the striped devils.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 7:22:34 PM PST
john stein says:
Get a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot, fill it up halfway with water, place it next to a stump or put a brick or somewhere where they can LOOK down into the bucket. Drop some birdseed or other type of food into bucket & you will have several dead chipmunks within a day. My friend uses this method & caught/killed over 60 of them this past summer in Wisconsin. It is not a humane method but it WILL work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:42:52 AM PST
We had so many little critters also. A f riend told us to mix up bird food and crush rat poison mixed with peanut butter. They eat then they disappear for ever

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:09:38 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:45:27 PM PST
john stein says:
You must be really short to get down into their underground nest when they sleep! The bucket method works best!!!

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:36:56 PM PST
D James says:
I recommend an electric rat trap, battery powered, available on amazon or at Home Depot. $35-45. Works on mice as well. Peanuts in shell best bait.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 9:53:43 PM PST
We don't have Chipmunks in Australia, but my grandson, Christopher, would love one, as he loves all the 'Chipmunk' films. Are they as cute as they appear...we have Koala's, which are very, very cute.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 12:44:35 AM PST
what is so bad about chipmunks anyway? what do they do that is so bad that one thinks of killing them?
i am with you, they ae cute jumping all around and i live in ohio, where we have plenty.
my cat has tried each year to catch the ones that live next to our patio...get it??? the cat keeps trying, but has not been successful.
go chipmunks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 6:31:01 AM PST
john stein says:
What is so bad about them? Well, at my home in SE WI, they have dug several holes/tunnels under & around my home. SOme of these were so bad that it caused my concrete slab on my porch to settle & it happened to settle towards my home which caused water to build up around my foundation when it rains heavily. I have had to have my basement walls re-inforced at a cost of about $8k and have also had to have my concrete slab 'mud jacked' to raise it up & have it lean away from the home. Let them stay around & they will end up damaging something!!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 1:36:15 PM PST
I have more than a hundred of them on my property (one acre) on LI NY. They have undermined my pool deck pavers, live under my shed which smells of animal urine, dug underground by my garage and created a pile of dirt in the garage, dug under my blacktopped driveway until it caved in, destroyed our many nice plants by eating the roots and more. Those of you who love them so much are invited to come and take them to your little piece of heaven and let them wreck your yard! I have tried spreading fox urine crystals (about $100 worth) around on a regular basis, but they don't seem affected by it. I'm going to try the water bucket method next, along with pellet gun practice.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 1:58:47 PM PST
E. Orchard says:
The Agri-Rat Zapper. It's quick, humane and not messy. We have chipmunks all over the place, too. They will tear up your lawn, burrow holes everywhere and wreck your garden.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 7:22:06 AM PST
The Agri-Rat Zapper works great so does the bucket. But if they are only raiding your garden, the humane choice is to put out a bird feeder. Give them bird seed and they will leave your tomatoes alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 10:25:20 AM PST
john stein says:
I don't have a problem with them eating or messing with my tomatoes. The problem is all the tunnels & digging around my home & porch which have cost me money to repair. All chipmunks MUST DIE!!!! I no longer have this issue but want to help others who may have had or are having the same problems I did.

Bird feeders are for birds, not squirrels or chipmunks which are nothing but RATS with furry tails!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 3:08:52 PM PST
JHARV says:
The best way is a rat trap and peanut butter. I had them in my garden digging bulbs and it took only 3days.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 3:42:24 PM PST
Thanks! I have ordered a rat zapper to see how that works. Right now, they must be hibernating for the winter... I'll have to get them in the spring. I do have a couple of rat traps, so I'll try that too.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 8:07:35 PM PST
WJW says:
Position a 5 gal. bucket -- 1/3 filled with water -- in a 'run' where you expect these cute little varmints to travel. Put into the water a handful of sunflower or other similar seeds. Come back in three days to clear the 'lil ones. You may want to dig a final resting place for the fat 'lil buggers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 8:12:59 PM PST
john stein says:
See my post from 12/25/2012..............

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 9:18:42 AM PST
Gratefulness says:
Re: Getting Cats for your yard...wouldn't that parallel the problem with them digging in my lawn and garden when they dig and go Poo?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:13:50 AM PST
Rebel says:
Get some cats

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:46:51 AM PST
I'm in Missouri and we have the same problem with the tunnels undermining all our concrete flatwork (driveways, sidewalks, front entry porch). I tend to stay away from poisons because the red tail hawks and owls may pick up a tainted chippy and that would then kill a natural predator. The 5-gallon bucket method works, but takes some diligence to keep it going. The little creepies seem to multiply faster than we can get rid of them.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 1:33:12 PM PST
BarrelLady says:
Attended a seminar at a local Home and Flower Show and they said CASTOR OIL pored in the holes. Good for all chipmunks, voles, moles and other hole making animals!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2013 1:37:09 PM PST
@BarrelLady - What does the castor oil do?

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 10:58:39 AM PST
I have a tremendous problem with squirrels in my garden.They eat my corn stocks and dig everywhere .How do i get rid of them? Drew G.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Patio, Lawn & Garden Tips and Tricks forum (200 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  27
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions