Customer Discussions > Action Adventure forum

action adventure pirate series?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2009 11:13:29 PM PDT
Fen says:
are there any recommendations for a historical fantasy action adventure book or series centered on pirates? I do not want high fantasy or science fiction pirates, with technology or vampires.

Plain ordinary pirates are fine by me, for young adults/late teens readers, not so childish, or heavily focused on a romance plot. I prefer male authors and male characters, I'm tired of grrl power and the cliche plots that go along with them.

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 8:48:00 AM PDT
Hi - I wrote one with modern day pirates? No swash buckling - and I'd say more late teen.
The Caliphate

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 9:39:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 1, 2010 11:20:09 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2009 6:28:54 PM PDT
Fen says:
Thanks for the help, but it's not what I'm entirely looking for (modern day portions).

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 5:24:37 PM PDT
"On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers is quite good, but it also doesn't quite meet your criteria, since its pirates are into using voodoo magic. It is also more suited for the older teen and adult crowd, and can be rather dark at spots. It is a work of historical fiction (emphasis on the word "fiction") surrounding the mythology of Captain Black Beard and his death. Also noteworthy is that it was the inspiration for the old 90's adventure game "The Secret of Monkey Island".

The problem is, pirates have long been very romanticized in fiction. It'll be hard to find anything real that will still fit in the "action/adventure" category.

Anyway, you can never go wrong with "Treasure Island", and though it is not about pirates, "Moby Dick" is another great book about travel on the high seas (and honestly gives any pirate stories I have ever heard a serious run for their money).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 2:05:52 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 30, 2010 2:10:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 4:04:07 AM PDT
A Reader says:
SPAM alert - Garrison is doing it to all threads.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 6:30:14 PM PDT
Todd Hunter says:
That's a shame...some of my best friends are space pirates.

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 2:22:18 PM PST
I'll second "On Stranger Tides" by Powers. The next POTC movie shares the title, but I don't know how much plot they kept.

I also recently read a Kindle book that had a group of wayward samurai thrown in with a band of pirates. It's an indie book, but I found it quite funny. It's "Samuria Pirates" by Jim Ollhoff.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 7:24:29 PM PST
try the walking drum
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Adventure forum (17 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Adventure forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions