Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Do you love or hate remastered PS3 games?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 141 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 12, 2011 12:43:46 PM PDT
M. burns says:
My only problem with the remastered is the fact that the PS3 lacks backwards compatibility. Makes you wonder if it was intentionally removed so that they could resell you the games.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 1:32:16 PM PDT
I don't think that was the case, since they mentioned the difficulty of them adding it due to making the ps3's price drop be less than what it is. They had to make the slim have less features, like card reader and only 2 usb ports rather than 4 because it was taking space, which may have dropped a few bucks, but not enough to force that. However the backwards compatibility made it expensive, as well as releasing a blu-ray player on it. Regardless, of the ps3 being backwards compatible or not, maybe some people would have bought them. However a ps2 isn't hard to get and they are cheap as well. To this day, the ps2 is the best selling console.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 2:54:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:00:11 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 2:55:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 12, 2011 3:03:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 3:05:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2011 2:25:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 10:16:46 PM PDT
Agree with you there, though why they don't add it to the newer models, I'm not sure. Either way, Sony decided to remove the backwards compatible feature, which was great to play old games. As for HD collections go, I guess if you want the game again its a buyers discretion. I think the blu-ray player was the most expensive piece of the hardware, considering when blu-ray came out, most players were over a grand. Either that or just marketing price to earn a profit in research and development.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 4:52:32 AM PDT
SquareEnix (since Squaresoft is now gone) would be a fool to remaster Final Fantasy 7 for a multitude of reasons:
1. No one would ever be satisfied with the remake - people would bitch that it wasn't done correctly or that they shouldn't have messed with a "classic"
2. They have already remade Final Fantasy 7 through a myriad of backstory (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus)

Something as gigantic as Final Fantasy 7 shouldn't be touched, and SquareEnix knows that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2011 4:55:05 AM PDT
Play Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes if you want a remake of that.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 8:26:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:00:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 9:19:47 AM PDT
Bruce Wayne says:
I agree with the remakes. Like someone said: is a win-win proposition.

The prices are, for the PS3, around 30 bucks, which is great: you buy the game new (because the used old version is around 20-30 bucks), and if there is any online code, is yours to use.

Also, most of the times, the teams behind these remakes are b studios or extra personnel is hired in order to do it. Or it is done without affecting upcoming games nor schedules. Still, everybody wins as more people are hired (even for a short time).

Look at Nintendo Selects: I just couldn´t come into buying a Super Paper Mario at 74 bucks! Now, it has become a Nintendo Select, and I just bought it at 15 (from 20), last week.

My only gripe is that the value of new copies, kept for future selling, goes a bit down.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 5:32:35 PM PDT
Dutchmaster,

Now that you have explained what you are saying in relation to popular games, I do agree with your overall point. I think Activision is the worst publisher for selling rehashes as often as possible to make as much money as possible and they have killed many franchises along the way, including Tony Hawk and Guitar hero. The once popular music genre is essentially dead because of all the guitar hero and, to a lesser extent, rock band games. There have been a couple attempts in the music genre outside of the guitar hero/rock band, however, they weren't successful, in large part, because they came at the tail end of the music genre craze. An example would be DJ hero. There would probably still be a music genre with more creative entries if Activision didn't kill the entire genre. There is a similar trend with Tony Hawk, they were being released all the time(not sure if it was annually, I think it was), there was very little to no innovation, and it was basically the same game with a new paint job. Now Activision is killing Call of Duty with annual releases of that game, although, I am not sure if I mind call of duty dieing. At one time Call of Duty was one of the best FPS out there which new ideas and real innovation and now it is just the most played FPS and as long as call of duty sells well activision will continue to over saturate the market. However, at least the FPS genre is popular enough where there can be other developers working on different games using new ideas and innovation, including DICE and Battlefield 3. I am really looking forward to playing battlefield 3.

I do agree that games can't/shouldn't just be a carbon copy of each other and developers need to take chances and bring something new to the table. However, I think there is enough of that in the video game industry. There can always be room for more innovation and new ideas, however, game developers and publishers(outside of activision) are still trying and coming up with new ideas. Some of the current generation games will be part of "the greatest video games of all time" list with zelda, super mario brothers, pac man, space invaders etc. In the last few years I have played some of the best games I have ever played, including the Mass Effect and Uncharted series and I have been gaming since the original nintendo where you had to blow dust out of the cartridge and machine to get them working sometimes. I do see and understand your general point, however, I don't have the same negative outlook about the future of gaming as you seem to have. I think that some of the best video games are still ahead of us and not just behind us.

On a side note, I would love a ratchet and clank and jak and dextar remastered collections.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 8:59:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:00:28 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 11:31:51 AM PDT
Horowitz says:
I love the HD collections. The Sly Collection looks incredible in HD and holds up very nicely. ICO and Shadow of the Colossus also look amazing with their higher frame-rate and crisper visuals.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 12:14:29 PM PDT
Shawn Clark says:
that depends totally on how it was done, just like there are HORRIBLE blu ray transfers from GREAT old movies, and there are crappy movies that had near perfect transfers, the same applies here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 8:38:23 PM PDT
twztid13 says:
KH 1 & 2 look horrible in 4:3 & deformed in 16:9 on a ps2 w/ component cables on an hdtv. i've tried on several.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 7:27:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 23, 2011 9:13:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 12:00:27 PM PDT
D. Ross says:
You know what I hate about it? the fact that this and the PS Store are the reasons they removed the backwards compatibility from the original PS3's design. and backwards compatibility built into systems will die as a result.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 4:16:18 PM PDT
E. Schneider says:
i really like re-mastered editions the one I really hope they come out with is a Ratchet and clank remastered of a few of the PS2 hits that would be great because i really enjoyed those games a lot. the God of War Collection was also a great remastered set and now the PSP God of Wars well any way I think its a great idea.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 12:26:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:00:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:24:09 AM PDT
I personally like these remastered games for the PS3. They are making games available that I did not get a chance to play in the past like the Silent Hill collection and the God of War collection. The prices are pretty decent too considering you get two or more games for around the price of one new game. There are plenty of new games coming out too. I recently got Killzone 3, Resistance 3, have Ratchet and Clank - All 4 One on order along with Uncharted 3 and a couple others.

It seems to me to be in everyone's advantage to have these companies outputting re-mastered games - particularly those that did not get a chance to play it the first time around.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:01:51 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 9, 2011 6:49:27 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 7:05:59 AM PDT
My son loves that sly cooper is being remastered.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:06:02 AM PDT
moogle11 says:
I think it's win win, buy them if you want them, don't if you already have them ! The developers get to refine their ideas & make some cash to fund whatever there current project is.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 9:01:25 PM PDT
C. Oliver says:
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus remastered in HD has to be one of the finest additions to the PS3 catalog in a long while. The game series was already phenomenal, but seeing the Colossi brought to life to the point where they're almost tangible was truly a sight to behold. The sound and atmosphere is breathtaking as well. There's a reason this game was inducted into the Smithsonian institute.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 9:04:30 PM PDT
I love them when they do it right! Rockstar North always know what they're doing. They need to use their new R.A.G.E. re-master Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories, and Vice City Stories, re-release them for PlayStation 3, add Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Stories to the set when it comes out next year!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Game forum (193 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions