Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Which video game do you think will be a good movie.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 267 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011 7:51:41 PM PST
Jesus says:
I agree with that!!! Uncharted will fix very well... could be made for kids, teens, matures, like all types of rates!!! even could exist part I, II & III, like the game... what do you all think?

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 2:22:03 AM PST
Deuce says:
Assassin Creed ... as a trilogy. Watch Assassin Creed Lineage .... This actor would be great as the Giovanni and take it from there ....

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:52:19 AM PST
D. Patel says:
No doubt it would be Uncharted !!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 2:30:45 AM PST
Rainbow 6 would be a great movie.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 8:24:48 AM PST
Mass Effect, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, Half Life, Halo, Call of Duty, Fallout, Dragon Age: Origin, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Legend of Zelda, Gears of War, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed...there are dozens of games that would make decent movies

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 12:29:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2011 3:13:02 AM PDT
Ghost says:
You're partly right, Truth...although there are many, many games that would make decent movies, once in the hands of Hollywood, they are destroyed. Has there EVER been a good movie made from a video game?? The problem is, games are for gamers. Like country music is for country fans and rap music is for rap fans. You're not going to suddenly convert a new audience without tweaking or destroying the original concepts. So when Hollywood gets ahold of a video game based movie script, they dilute it and dumb it down to appeal to the widest audience range possible. Its sad that there really aren't any new movie ideas anymore. But theres an entire untapped wealth of stories, characters, worlds and concepts in the video game medium. In fact, thats where all the creative genius and talent lies nowadays... in video games, not movies or TV ( except for LOST and Big Bang Theory ).

Just imagine ( since todays video games are essentially movies in themselves ) that the game designers and developers had full control and funding to make their OWN movies based on THEIR games. Not caring about dumbing down the movie and getting a big name Hollywood hunk to appeal to fat housewives, or a talentless hottie to appeal to the 25-45 male demographic ( the ones with the money ) and not staying true to the character or concept. I started a discussion quite awhile back over who should play Kratos in a God of War movie, and a few morons thought VIN DIESEL would make a great Kratos!!! Are you freakin' kidding me????? What? Just cause he's bald and Kratos is bald???? Vin Diesel couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag and they think he has the emotional depth and size to play a character such as Kratos?? See, this is how Hollywood thinks, and they are almost always WRONG. This happens TIME AND TIME again. Getting the "It" girl or guy of the moment to star even though they are light years away from the game character ( Anyone remember the train wreck of Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft?? ). Hollywood just recently started getting comicbook based films halfway right, even though some of those casting and storyline choices are still questionable...but getting better. Then on top of that, they take an "M" rated game full of all the bloody and violent glory and yummy nudity and sex we expect as gamers and dumb it down to a PG-13 rated movie or cartoon...once again, to appeal to a wider audience.

This is why I believe Hollywood will never make a decent video game based movie. They have to justify the cost by making the film appeal to everyone, thusly destroying the core mechanics that made it a great game in the first place. What a wonderful and amazing world we'd live in if the game makers made the movies. Imagine if Infinity Ward made their own Call of Duty, or if Ubisoft had total control over an Assassin's Creed, or if Bioware got to make their own Dragon Age film...the list goes on.

Well, if you don't believe me, let me leave you with one final nightmare scenario...

Halo...coming in 2013... starring Justin Beiber as Master Chief, featuring music by Usher, Lady Gaga, and the Black Eyed Peas. Rated PG. Don't worry, they'll buff up Justin with the Spartan armour just as they buffed up Micheal Keaton in Batman with the batsuit... but hey, at least now 12 year old girls will know what a "Halo" is.

This is how Hollywood thinks.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 5:43:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2011 5:47:23 PM PST
Ghost says:
I have to admit, I did enjoy "Prince of Persia". I believe its as close as we've come to a halfway decent video game movie so far. Its just too bad it was made by Disney...really coulda used some darker violence, blood, and what man on the planet didn't want to see that tasty lead actress naked?? If it had been done by Lionsgate or someone like that....wow.

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 7:19:07 PM PST
Ted Riggs says:
My dream is to see a Legend of Zelda movie someday.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 4:55:53 AM PDT
J. C says:
Killzone
Uncharted
Red dead redemption
Resistance 3 (it seems to have a great storyline)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 2:12:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2011 2:13:29 PM PDT
An Assassin's Creed movie would ROCK!!!

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 6:57:45 AM PDT
I would like to see Dead Space, Bioshock and Assassins Creed.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 7:01:54 AM PDT
I'm thinking Nintendo....................Mabye an epic Zelda film

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 7:02:41 AM PDT
As much as I love Killzone, given the historic lack-of-success of games turned movies, Like Streetfighter and Doom. I would hate to see Killzone killed in the process of making a movie. Maybe if Zack Snyder or Will Favreu (sp?) made it, but we'd prolly end up with some straight-to-dvd movie that we'd be better off without.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2011 7:15:07 PM PDT
Fox Mulder says:
Theyre already planning it. Sam Raimi will be involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 6:40:31 AM PDT
P. Bateman says:
Uncharted is already entering production. Nathan Drake will be played by Mark Wahlberg.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 7:38:14 AM PDT
Tenface says:
Yeah I'd have to agree that an Assassin Creed movie would be cool. Dead space seems like a natural choice since it was made to mimic scfi horror flix. I'd have said Final Fantasy but we all saw how that worked out.

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 9:42:12 AM PDT
Smoking Ace says:
I'd always wished that they would make some live action epic saga out of Final Fantasy VII or VIII for that matter. I think Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life would make a great series as well. But as long as Uwe Boll is in the film world, I don't think there is such a thing as video games becoming "good" movies. IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 9:54:54 AM PDT
honestly I doubt LotR will ever be outdone as a movie and or book... off topic I think King's Dark Tower series would be an amazing movie if done by LotR director/company.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 9:58:02 AM PDT
yeah its very rare that they dont screw up making great games into movies. Resident Evil had soooo much potential but now that they have went onto their "own program" and or imagination of the game/movie it may still be possible... I like the 1st movie of RE, although it really isnt that close to the game. It does have similarities but I had to have an open mind when watching it and NOT assume they wanted it to be exactly like the game, which they shouldve actually done.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:04:19 AM PDT
I use to think Sam Raimi was a great director but after he, in my opinion, ruined Spiderman (he did for me, again my opinion) and also Avitar the Airbender (cartoon from Nick). He was amazing in his earlier stuff but just is falling short now... maybe its the script that ruins most of these movies for me. IDK

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:14:30 AM PDT
P. Bateman says:
What'd he do to Avatar? I wasn't aware he was involved with the show or that awful crap Shyamalama tried to pass off as a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 10:55:05 AM PDT
yeah i was wrong. wasnt him. I musta been thinking darkman 2 & 3... I blame lack of sleep. haha

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 6:08:40 PM PDT
the thing about making a good,original video game-movie is you cant base it off of the exact events that you played in said game. This is why bioshock,fallout,and uncharted could be good movies. bioshock has a large timeframe both before and after the fall of rapture. I'd see a trilogy out of that,but at least one film.They'd defineltly have to get the mood and eeriness of rapture.fallout is MASSIVE!!!and the game hasnt covered the actually destruction of the earth and creation of the wasteland.And as for uncharted,they'd have to make up a whole new adventure.Do you see what i'm getting at?although jedi knight,i get your point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2011 4:59:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2011 5:05:06 AM PDT
Ghost says:
I understand what you're saying Jill, but following or NOT following the game can be a double egde sword. By following the game too closely, you're just rehashing what people have already played, but consider the audience that HASN'T played the game...its new to them, right? And by NOT following the game and making up something completely new, you run the risk of destroying the creator's original vision, thus leading to every video game movie train wreck we've ever had.

I'm an advocate of recreating the video game as close as possible for two reasons. One is that if they make a movie based on a much loved game, there's already a proven winning formula that should translate into a winning formula for a film. I truly believe game fans will go see a movie of their favorite game even though they know the story and have played it maybe numerous times. Its always exciting to see books or comics or games come to life with real actors onscreen. The second reason is that you don't run the risk of destroying the game franchise if the director goes off on some weird, sucky tangent and invents their own mythology. By staying true to the game designer's formula, that keeps everyone happy. People won't be soured to any future releases if the movie didn't blow.

If you still might think its a bad idea to copy the original because the fans will not want to watch a game on the movie screen they already played, let me posit this to you.

For generations, people read and loved the Lord of the Rings. Most people knew the story front and back. Peter Jackson comes along and pretty much follows the story as closely as he can, to fit it into roughly 9 hours. If he had stayed faithful to the book page for page, it would have run about 20 hours. Peter Jackson stuck to the proven formula and didn't need to have Frodo and Samwise go off on some "new " adventure that he thought up in his mind. So if it works very well for directors to follow our beloved books closely, why is it wrong to follow our great video games closely? If someone did a God of War trilogy, I'd definitely want it to follow along with the stories of the three games because they were so incredible. Games with INCREDIBLE plots, charaters, and scenery don't need to be "reinvented" for the movie screen because we already love what works. Now a game like Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter...obviously you can't have a whole movie of a little plumber jumping over things, or you can't have sets of two charcaters just punching each other for two hours...we already have MMA and thats boring enough as it is...so when they tried to attach a plot to those, remember, they failed miserably. Some games just SHOULD NOT be made into films because the stories and characters are relatively weak to begin with and cannot support a full length feature film. More and more, our games are becoming movies that we play, and now more the EVER are there a plethora of games that would make great movies...IF THEY DON'T MESS WITH THE FORMULA.

Posted on Mar 18, 2011 9:54:46 AM PDT
I think it should be done like the way the Matrix and Enter the Matrix was done. The game play consisted of the side stories that some of the on-screen characters were participating in while not on screen. Like in the game you are Naiobi driving that car hauling ass down the road then all of a sudden you come up on the 18 wheeler that Morpheus falls off of, which in the movie is the part where Naiobi comes out of nowhere and catches Morpheus on the hood.

I think that would work with Dead Space 2 because they already are doing it with the Severed DLC where its the story of another character trying to save his wife (or girlfriend) on the Sprawl and going through some of the same areas as Clarke but sometimes in reverse. There could be another "hero" character surviving on the Sprawl and somewhere along the way has an interaction or is affected by something that was an event done by Clarke in the game. I think that kinda of media tie-in between movie and game is awesome instead of someone re-interpreting a game into their vision of a movie.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  180
Total posts:  267
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions