Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Do you love or hate remastered PS3 games?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 141 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2011 7:37:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:55:59 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 7:41:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2013 1:21:04 PM PST]

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 7:44:12 PM PDT
M. Stacy says:
I neither love nor hate them, but I do like them greatly. I think releasing remastered versions of games is an "everybody wins" situation. The companies make money - win for them. Gamers who want the collections have the option to get them - win for them. Gamers who already have them or for any reason DON'T want them do not have to spend a dime to not buy them - no impact to them at all.

There's a lot of things in this world that I don't like, so I don't buy them. Simple as that. If someone out there does like them, then it's pretty awesome that those things are available for them.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:24:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:56:06 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:33:23 AM PDT
R. Venaska says:
There may be new generations of gamers who get this for the most current system. To obtain a copy for an older system may be expensive and difficult for some games. I think Ico was fairly rare so that may be one. Not so convinced that Splinter Cell would be though. Nintendo has done this with Super Mario Bros NES series rehashing for every new console after that. It must make them $$ or they wouldnt continue to do it. Vote with your wallet and they will listen.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 10:43:02 AM PDT
tjm01572 says:
in addition to what others have said, i support remastered collections.

Keep in mind, most devs remake these older version as a marketing tool for their new games.. ie.. Tomb raider collection in advance of the new Tomb Raider, God of War Collection for GoW 3, Sly Cooper Collection for Sly Cooper 4, SoC and ICO collection for The Last Guardian, Silent Hill collection for Silent Hill: Downpour, MGS Collection for Metal Gear Rising etc..

Its not a waste of creative talent...its a creative way to advertise and get gamers interseted in their new games and i personally love them and dont mind "double dipping",

ps. I would pay $500 for a remastered version of Final Fantasy 7 :)

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 11:21:35 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:56:39 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 12:37:41 PM PDT
tjm01572 says:
maybe squaresoft was just trying to judge the current demand for the game.... fingers crossed :)

I sadly agree that this one will likely never be made, but where did your stats of 60-120 Mil come from? has a video game EVER even come close to that to produce? do you really think remastering (or even recreating from scratch) would really cost over $100 million?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 2:52:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:56:46 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 7:43:46 PM PDT
Juan Yanez says:
well to me ill buy it cuz i never could find silent hill 2 and 3 so its awsome dey have both for 40 and remasterd in hd so i would play dem in a lil better version den da ones i missed out on so this isnt bad for da gamers dat missed out on some of these games cuz dey were rare and hard to find or expensive

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 8:08:06 PM PDT
LOVE it. Depends on the game, of course, but MGS series, GOW origins series, and especially ICO = yum.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 6:07:21 AM PDT
Mace says:
I have no problems with it, and depending on the game get some of them. They are just a slight graphical upgrade nothing that takes much work and to have it on a more reliable disc with trophies gives it more survivability and playability.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 6:12:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2011 6:13:09 AM PDT
Derek says:
I love the remakes, I say bring more on. Minor complaint: I already bought these on PS2, so in my opinion, they should price these for $19.99. I would scoop up every single one for that price, where now I just wait patiently for a sale before I buy. And what do you think of companies not including PS1 versions of games in collections? For example: Silent Hill 2 and 3 but not 1. I personally don't care if Silent Hill 1 is not remade in HD, it would still be nice to have it as part of the total package. Yes, I know you can download it on PSN, but for the "total" gaming experience and satisfaction for the collectors, they should include it on the disc. Metal Gear Solid is also not including MGS1 in their collection as well.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 7:37:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:56:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 7:45:29 AM PDT
tjm01572 says:
I think dereks point was not neccesarily a PS1 remaster needed to be done (although that would be SWEET :), but that they should at least add the PSN version on the disc.

I agree, that at a minimum the games he listed (silent hill and MGS1) should have been added to their respective collections, even if it meant an unremastered version being included as a "bonus"

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 7:48:33 AM PDT
JWK says:
I really REALLY get sick of hearing whining from OCD types - "why do they make these remakes? I feel obligated to buy it!" Your OCD behavior is no ones fault but your own. Being a completionist for your collection is not the fault of any company that's making or remaking a game. So to hear your (Dutchmaster212) criticism of remakes be "I pay for the same thing twice" makes you sound like a complete child. Here's a solution you may want to consider: don't buy the %$^# game twice! Heck, don't buy it the first time so you won't feel the need to buy it again in 10 years when they remake it. Does that make you feel better?

Of course not! You buy games because you like to play games. The company makes games because they like to play & create games and it's their job so they need to make money doing it. Is $40 too much for the Ico Collection? If you answer yes, then don't buy the game! Team Ico makes a game every five years. Are you really gonna whine about them making an HD remaster of the two games they've created over the last decade?! C'mon. Use some common sense. They need both the income and the generated excitement from their fanbase for the third game. Plus (and this should be an obvious one) just because YOU have been gaming your whole life doesn't mean everyone else has. I bought the God of War HD Collection because I didn't own a PS2, but I DO own a PS3. Same things goes fort he upcoming Metal Gear Solid Collection (I can't WAIT for that one). Am I the only one? Certainly not. I LOVE these collections and the reason companies keep making them is THEY SELL (in essence, other people love them too). If you dislike them, don't buy them. If enough people resist and refuse to buy these types of collections it will force video game producing companies to abandon the practice.

It's also friggin' annoying to hear a video game CONSUMER complain about those "greedy corporations"... WHO PRODUCE VIDEO GAMES. You even acknowledge in a later post how expensive it is to make many of these modern games!!! And yet you don't want the companies that make great games to make any money?! So then what happens? They stop making the video games that you purchase, play, and love and then they go out of business, leaving hundreds of people out of work, which in turn weakens the video game industry??? Sounds like a great plan, especially if you love video games. Does that view make ANY kind of sense in retrospect?

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 8:04:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:57:03 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 9:58:29 AM PDT
JWK says:
Okay, so you admit that the best version of these games are the HD remakes... and yet you're still against them. It's not adding up. So are you for or against these remakes?? Replayability is my most important factor in determining the value of a game. A game is truely great and epic if I want to replay it. I'd much rather replay a great game (or in this case, a full collection of great games) for $40 than I would a game that's brand new with unproven quality for $60. It's less of a risk to me as a consumer: I'm out $60 if Rage ends up being terrible (which is a possibility, despite their impressive marketing campaign). But three of the best games in the Metal Gear Solid Collection for $50? Yes please. It's also much less of a risk for the developer. Let's take Rage again as an example. Id has pumped in literally millions of dollars in the last six months hyping the game. Even so, the game could end up being like Brink or Duke Nukem Forever (I've played neither of these games, for the record. I'm simply using them as an example of a hyped game that critics and consumers panned later). If, on the other hand, Id were to release a "Doom HD Collection" next year before they release Doom 4, it cost far less to promote, it has an already installed fan-base, and Id doesn't have to pay off major sites like IGN and Gamespot because the reviewers there have already played the games in the collection.

By no means am I suggesting that every single game in history needs to be rereleased, but it's a great gift to long time fans and it's a huge incentive to video game fans like myself who didn't get the chance to play the games the first time. Same thing goes with Ocarina of Time on 3DS. Lots of people angry about Nintendo doing a simple "remake," but with refined textures, new animations, a refined inventory system, and the full Master's Quest in the package, it's easily the best version of a legendary game.... a legendary game that I only played at friends' homes as a kid, not owning an N64. I've never played any of the sixth generation tomb raider games or splinter cell games, but with these HD collections, I'm thinking, "Hey, why not?" It's me... I'M the reason these things are successful. Me and video game fans like me. Like it or lump it.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 10:06:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2011 10:06:56 AM PDT
tjm01572 says:
agree with JWK 100%, and considering most of these games drop to sub $30 a month or so after release (just picked up the Tomb Raider Collection for $20), i say bring 'em on!!

retrospectively, i am disappointed they didnt do a re-release HD collection of the Socom games for Socom 4's release. Thats one i would pay full retail for on release day...love those first 2 games

a DOOM collection would be cool, i would settle for them being released like Wolfenstein was on PSN as well

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:43:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:57:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 2:05:39 PM PDT
Agree with you on System Shock 2. Damn I'd give anything to own it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 2:54:51 PM PDT
Brian says:
The original Tomb Raider was redone in Tomb Raider: Anniversary, and Half-Life is being redone in HD for the PC (It's called project Black Mesa) and it's completely free online. I also would Love to see Vigilante 8 Remake since I enjoyed that series so much that I bought a second copy of the first one. I really Think Games like BloodRayne, and All Final Fantasies from 7 to 10 should be remade in HD and maybe remake 3 again since it is one of the best in the series. (I'd shell out the big bucks for these titles!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 3:01:08 PM PDT
shiftless says:
I think you misunderstand how "remastering" works. The GOW games, for example, were remastered for HD because all the original design work had already been done. They simply had another group (which was not involved in developing the original games, by the way) redo the textures, etc. But those older PS1-era games are a completely different story. You can't "remaster" something like FF7 or the first MGS because the graphics are so low to begin with. The kind of "remastering" that you are talking about with these older titles would actually require completely reworking the graphics from the ground up. Yes, that would be cool, but that would also be MUCH more labor-intensive than just "remastering" the existing game, not to mention more expensive, and also isn't something that can be done by the groups that typically do these remastering jobs. I think the better option, in my opinion, is making more of those older titles available for download, and there are already plenty of threads about that topic.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 3:57:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2011 7:57:27 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 7:29:58 PM PDT
If you don't like them, pass on buying. I think they're re-releasing them to give people a chance to play them if they missed out the first time, especially since a lot of the games they are doing this with have sequels coming out on PS3. No one's forcing you to buy these games again.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions