Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Starting Sunday Amazon starts charging a sales tax for texas...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2012 4:31:30 PM PDT
I hate the government. They spend us into a deficit then tax us because of their erroneous spending! Bye Amazon, hello newegg!

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news%2Fstate&id=8720474

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 7:44:01 PM PDT
Yeah I figure it's a matter of time before other state governments start sending amazon tax bills. It sucks amazon's just giving in but it wouldn't be worth it for them to fight it...even if it's wrong. And here in NJ, newegg also collects tax so I'd have no alternative.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 6:43:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 6:43:54 PM PDT
Starting Sunday I will start to buy from Best Buy (mostly)...actually I already do

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 5:49:59 AM PDT
Marc Norton says:
Another reason not to live in Texas, I guess.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 10:45:02 AM PDT
Howsare says:
Pennsylvania was supposed to start charging in feb. but it got pushed back to september. My prime is due for renewal in october but I dont see much reason to renew it anymore. Dont get me wrong the quick shipping is still a perk but I just wont buy as much from here once the tax starts getting slapped on everything unless they have a really really good deal that I cant find anywhere else.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 12:26:41 PM PDT
WildOat says:
Thank You Poor. For stepping up and paying the 1%'s burden of Tax. Now, pass that Sterling Salt Shaker.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 12:10:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 12:11:04 PM PDT
As someone from WA state (where Amazon is based) I have to pay sales tax too everytime I order from here. Ours is 9.5% sales tax and that is definitely enough to get me to buy most games from newegg or even ebay. I'll usually only buy a game if its a really good deal on Amazon, and I imagine that will soon be the case for a lot of people from Texas.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 11:22:44 AM PDT
Agree with you, but keep in mind this is the government/oligarchy's fault, not Amazon. Buy one of Claire Wolf's books (such as: "101 Things to Do 'Til the Revolution: Ideas and Resources for Self-Liberation, Monkey Wrenching and Preparedness" ), it will make you feel better.

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 4:11:29 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
Join the club and stop whining,I been paying it for years.. Be thankful you been tax free this long.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:56:19 PM PDT
The tax isn't that big of deal. C'mon now. How is that any different than going to your local store & buying a game? You have to pay sales tax there. And I'm pretty sure it's just not amazon. People in America just love to complain about unnecessary bullshhh.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 9:34:51 AM PDT
Echo says:
Uh, the fact is (was) that it IS different than going to a brick and mortar. Please educate yourself on the law for online sales tax: s b a.gov/content/collecting-sales-tax-over-internet might help you. The fact of the matter is, with online retailers *that don't have a physical presence* in a state, they are not required to collect taxes. That is left up to the consumer to pay up Uncle Sam and it should have been left that way.

We're complaining because brick&mortars like Wally (Walmart for the uninitiated) and Worst Buy sent their lobbyists to D.C. complaining about how "unfair" it was that they chose to have a physical presence *and* online presence and couldn't compete w/ Amazon's pricing structure. Because most of Washington is in someone's pocket, these fools who can't seem to balance a budget or curtail unnecessary spending now are wasting time rewriting the online sales tax laws to force companies like Amazon to do their dirty work for them.

Of course, it's perfectly fine if you like this sort of gov't meddling

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:22:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 11:22:28 AM PDT
The only fair tax is a flat tax. Everybody pays the same percentage on income. No write-offs, no loop holes..., and never allow it to go above a certain percentage by amending the Constitution.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 11:28:10 AM PDT
Echo says:
If only we could get THAT on a ballot! I'm all for it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 12:58:24 PM PST
sekazi says:
Everyone who wants it gets voted out by the Americans so they can get their free money from the government. Fair Tax plan is and will always be the best solution. It taxes those who evade them (Drug dealers, illegal workers, etc.) and those who spend more will be taxed more (The Rich). I would have no problem at all with a 15% federal tax (Which is much higher than what most say we would need) and my local 7% tax. Games may cost $73.19 new but I will be taking home my money and choose what I want to spend it on.

I tell everyone I talk to about this to look at their paycheck and take that federal withholding and imagine if you took that home each week. It would help the poor tremendously because they take home more money for food and services which are generally tax free already and would remain tax free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2013 2:12:25 PM PST
Marc Norton says:
I'm actually in favor of a national sales tax rather than an income tax. I first heard about it from Frank Zappa. It would sure lower the budget (and thuggery) of the IRS.

Posted on Nov 25, 2013 1:22:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2013 1:22:42 PM PST
A flat tax is not the same as sales tax.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Game forum (193 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions