Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

is GTA 4 suitable for 15yr old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 251 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 16, 2012 9:33:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 9:39:19 PM PST
Marco S. says:
I hate this question so much. Every kid is different. I know i played this at around 15 and it was not a big deal. It's a game, like any other. You're probably okay with the blood, extreme violence, and cop killing. You probably only have a problem with the sexual content right? That's another idiotic thing all together, but let's skip that. Again, every kid is different. I knew, at 15, what i was about to play, what i would be seeing and what i would be doing. Besides, if your kid goes to school in America or probably anywhere in the world i can guaranty he's heard and seen things you'd want to hide from him. You just gotta know if he can take the sex and violence maturely, or if it will negatively effect him.

Edit: Also, this thread is from 2008... haha oh well i'm sure people still wonder this question about this game and many others like it.

Edit 2: God. I know i have terrible grammar and spelling, but some of the kids in here... it just makes me sad. Thanks America, thanks for teaching us what we need to know. 12 years of school and you come out almost knowing nothing.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:36:17 AM PST
Kevin Giraud says:
I played whatever games i wanted as a kid. Not that my parents approved or knew i was playing anything inappropriate. But really, i imagine hes going to play it either way if he really wants to that being said. All the games out there i think i would get him into something that uses his developing mind a bit more like RPG's or even strategy games....theres so many games to choose from....that don't have unnecessary violence and profanity. Which are the aspects that he will most likely pick up and use in real life.....not shooting pedestrians or raping and murdering street walking women. So my advise is i would talk with him and explain it probably isnt the best game anyway and that you think he would get so much more out of a game that requires a bit more intellect....since hes smarter then the average teen...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 11:19:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 11:28:09 PM PST
Tusk says:
If you are a Republican (ie. American right-wing tinhatter home schooling your kid and otherwise leaving him locked in a closet), then NO!..Otherwise, of course its suitable!!! All "games" are suitable for anyone past puberty who has had a good upbringing.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 1:12:55 PM PST
J. Orvin says:
Yes. I played GTA games when I was younger than 15 and I didn't go around and try to mimic everything I did in the video game. If you think your son can tell the difference between what's reality and what's not then I don't see a reason why he shouldn't be able to play it. I'm happily married now and serving my country in the USAF. I don't think I turned out a horrible person.
Another point I'd like to add is if you don't let your son watch R-rated movies then you might not be comfortable letting him play GTA 4. I think it's the parents choice to know if there child is mentally stable enough to play a M-rated game or watch R-rated movies. There's no reason to be a hypocrite from one entertainment medium to the next.

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 7:19:19 PM PST
Avengedfrk says:
i know a 7 y/o kid who plays this game however i do not recommend a kid should ever play this game

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 3:46:24 AM PST
unless your child is mentally unstable then ive never understood all the concern for video game content. People play games to have fun in a fantasy world. I understood this as a kid. The fact of the matter, which you already know deep down,(we were all kids once) kids are going to be exposed to the worst of things unless you lock them away in a room away from society. Im rambling, but the point is teaching values, ideals, morals is up to you and a video game wont leave half the impression that you have the capability too. Not tyin to be an ahole about it, just a perspective of a guy who still remembers those glory days.

P.S. im 27, grew up playing video games, have not yet boosted car, hooked up with prostitute, and shot up the police.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 11:09:37 AM PST
It will vary depending on how mature you feel the 15 yr old is, some 15 yr olds may be able to handle it, while other may not. The ESRB is just a guideline not a law.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 12:40:16 PM PST
Derald King says:
No lol it really isn't there's drugs, shootouts, prostitutes, cussing, well i could go on & on but short answer no! lol

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 1:18:38 PM PST
This may be an adult game but it doesn't necessarily mean its not suitable for anyone under the M 17+ rating it show, the reason they classify 17 as an appropriate age to play these kinds of games is because of how mature the mind is, they have done numerous studies where they would take a 9 yr old and a 17 yr old and put them in the same room hooked up to the same machine and had them play the same game which was like GTA or similar. the results showing the 9 yr old thinking about the game and what it would be like in real life, and the 17 yr old not even being phased by the game at all.

So honestly if you are a 15 yr old and are just getting an opinion if its ok to play it and not feel bad or if you have a 15 yr old and are just trying to watch for their safety, You be the judge of that.

If you think that they or you is mature enough to play this without being affected in real life of what this game has in store, that is completely up to you.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 3:05:52 PM PST
Pavl says:
I don't have kids and I'm just 22 but even I think that GTA 4 is too much, there are plenty of M titles which I think are fine for kids due to the changing world and media and what people are introduced to, but GTA 4 is over gore gruesome and sexual stuff, much of which I don't think is suitable for someone still in high school.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 8:58:38 PM PST
Cooper Roe says:
I was 15 when the game came out and I got it (after a long debate with my dad), and it hasn't made me a violent person. Honestly, I heard more cursing in middle school in a single day then I heard in this game. I think that any 15 year old kid already has a good idea about the themes in this game through school and through the media anyway. But I can see where a parent is coming from if they don't want to let their kid have it as well.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 9:52:51 PM PST
A. Garcha says:
If your 15 year old son could be affected by a video game, you're already screwed.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:04:21 AM PST
It needs to be based on one's maturity level. A 15 year old can be more mature than an 18 year old, for example. If you're mature, can handle adult themes, and realize that seeing violence won't make you a murderer (and you're a good student), I'd say play it.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 1:17:32 PM PST
Abdalla says:
been playing m rated games since i was 10
and now i am 17
i still do it

it isnt wrong -.-

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:34:46 PM PST
I'm 13 and I have played all of the GTA games except some of the older ones that had the different layout than the newer ones. I believe that anybody can play GTA if they know the difference from reality to fiction doesn't matter what age they are in my opinion

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:00:17 PM PST
If the kid is smart....yeah. If he/she can distinguish fiction from reality, that is.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 4:40:40 PM PST
saints row 2 and three are better get him those

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 10:15:44 AM PDT
yummers says:
if your child reads the newspaper where everyday it lists how many civilians were killed buy US drone strikes or watches any of the shows on the three networks then he or she will be fine.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 7:08:13 PM PDT
T. Dang says:
If your kid is responsible enough to know the difference between fiction and real life, go for it. I don't know your kid but he might not get the "life of crime is not good" message since most people missed it.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 8:08:46 PM PDT
spearhard says:
You are living in a fantasy land if you think that your son is not exposed to the "bad" things in GTA IV already from TV, movies, and conversations with friends. There are few teenagers without some version of GTA, and I guarantee you that even if you "forbid" him from playing it, he'll just play it at a friends house. Once he turns 17, he can legally buy it without your consent, and the two years between 15 and 17 are not full of monumental developments. Its just a game, let him have fun.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 3:12:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012 3:18:49 AM PDT
Skunk says:
I received Grand Theft Auto: Vice City as a birthday gift when I was 16. I'd already played games like Mortal Kombat and Beavis & Butthead in Elementary School, and played Conker's Bad Fur Day when that came out, too. I'd watched plenty of mature films, read mature literature, and with unrestrained internet access (If your kid can figure out how to defeat your security, there's a chance he's intelligent enough to deal with anything you're protecting him from viewing. Then again, perhaps not.)It's a lot of fun driving around the city enjoying the sights, doing stunts, searching for hidden objects and other miscellaneous goals, flying a helicopter, or just engaging in hilariously over-the-top wanton destruction.

The story was pretty much Scarface, and there's a considerable amount of humor in the mix. It's not brutally dark, hateful, violent, and serious, and there's more to it than simply being a killing simulator. Of course, it does a great job of being a killing simulator (Admit it; we all have those days where we wish we COULD, and virtual random acts of violence can be perversely enjoyable), but it doesn't force you to go around slitting babies throats and tossing dogs from the roof of a kennel into the blades of a helicopter, there a bit more class to it than that. I haven't personally played GTA4, but I have played GTA 1, 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars.

Ultimately, it depends on your kid. If they're a violent little bastard who can't be trusted not to imitate what he sees on TV, stays out past midnight constantly and seems to have little respect for you, it might not be such a good idea. It's really a matter of maturity, but at age 15, it's unlikely any of it will be things he hasn't seen before. He has friends, he has the internet, and hopefully he's at that point where you needn't explain that sex and violence can have serious repercussions. Trying to stop him from this sort of media will probably do more harm than good, but if your child has a nasty temper and doesn't respect you, he probably doesn't need to be playing GTA.

It's ultimately a matter of judgment. This is something only you can really answer.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 8:07:22 PM PDT
Thrilhouse says:
All of you responding to the OP; are you aware that post was made in 2008? That "15 year old" is now 19. The point is moot.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 10:14:10 AM PDT
Anime Lover says:
FRANK NO

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 10:46:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 15, 2012 12:16:29 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 3:53:06 PM PDT
Joseph says:
Yes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Game forum (193 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  161
Total posts:  251
Initial post:  May 28, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions