Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Which video game do you think will be a good movie.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 267 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 18, 2012 10:31:43 AM PDT
Borderlands. That would a completely badass movie.

Posted on May 18, 2012 12:31:46 PM PDT
B. Kelly says:
Borderlands or Deus Ex

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 8:13:03 PM PDT
J. Rowell says:
Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 1:17:58 AM PDT
David L. Lee says:
Ratchet & Clank and Syphon Filter should've been made into movies. I'd love to see that. To a lesser extent properties like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro have great potential to be successful as well. Why people fight tooth and nail for abusive copyright laws then squander their IP's is beyond me. Also Need For Speed could be a movie. Whatever story they make up should be fine. Though it'll just seem like a fast and furious clone to some. I'd also like to see a semi-serious movie about Jet Moto and or Sled Storm. I think they could be very entertaining but these things won't happen. No one will develop anything for them or invest in them. I'm still waiting on them to bring Darkwing Duck back and turn that property into a movie franchise. What a waste *smh*

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:53:35 AM PDT
Irakli says:
user chcken heavy rain is already a movie in some moments that you have tap some buttons for movie to continue

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 11:59:33 AM PDT
Kingdom Hearts would make a good movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 11:27:59 AM PDT
Obviously you haven't seen the original Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil movies. They were VERY successful despite the less than stellar sequels (here's looking at YOU MK Annihilation!). Resident Evil Degeneration was an awesome bridge movie (and CGI to boot!) and FF VII: Advent Children was awesome as well (despite its predecessor The Spirits Within). Also, DOOM was an excellent movie. People panned it because it was a SQUAD instead of one guy running alone through dark corridors. And the story was sub-par, but hey, it's an ACTION film. It gave audiences what they wanted. Besides, there will NEVER be the "perfect" movie adaptation of a video game, so STOP NIT PICKING EVERYTHING. Just watch the movie for what it is: entertainment. If you want to really stop the BAD adaptations, call Uwe Boll and tell him to stop. That is where most of the REALLY BAD adaptations are coming from.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 11:36:50 AM PDT
One thing I noticed is that people are choosing HUGE rpg games that take 30+ hours to complete and wanting them to be turned into movies. You can't think that it will translate into one movie. The one game I would like to see made live action is Final Fantasy 1. It would be 3-4 movies and be a "fish-out-of-water" story (much like Galaxy Quest, though not as much of a comedy). The story would feature 4 friends pulled into the world, and their respective talents would help move the story along. The only other video game I would like to see made into a movie at this point would be Final Fantasy 4. Four movies would cover it. 1st movie: Cecil feigns his past and becomes a paladin. 2nd Movie: Cecil and co. rescue Rosa and discover the underworld. 3rd Movie: Rydia's return and the Tower of Babil. 4th Movie: Giant of Babil and the Moon. That is how you would do a movie like that. It'll never happen, and I KNOW it'll never happen, so I don't sit around all day wishing they would. If they ever did, I would geek-gasm so hard the moon would shift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 8:54:40 AM PDT
pyroguy says:
definitely gotta go with "Dead Space". but they need to keep the heavy gore in the film to stay true to the game

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 5:28:19 PM PDT
James Fisher says:
why not the old ps2 game second sight

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 5:30:54 PM PDT
James Fisher says:
INFAMOUS 1 & 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:44:26 AM PDT
Scottypiper says:
Here are some updates on some of the most requested video game movies.....

Mass Effect
Mass Effect fans may get there wish. "On May 24, 2010, EA announced that Legendary Pictures, Warner Bros. acquired the rights to a Mass Effect film, with the game's executive producer Casey Hudson, as well as Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuck from BioWare, serving as executive producers. Legendary plans to produce the film with Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni, and Avi Arad, with a screenplay by Mark Protosevich. Protosevich and the producers have stated that the film will follow the plot of the original game." Source- Wiki although a timeline is unknown. Let's hope this makes it and doesn't fizzle out like like Metroid.

Metroid
For metroid "In 2003, two producers optioned the rights to create a movie based on Metroid, but the rights expired. John Woo reacquired the rights a few years later, and Lion Rock Productions was to produce and release the film before 2006, but it either has been canceled or remains in limbo. Sakamoto has expressed no interest in working on a Metroid movie himself, but stated he could support such a project by Ryuji Kitaura, director of the CG scenes in Other M, if the concept and methodologies were good enough."

Uncharted
For Uncharted, it looks like it hit a delay when David O. Russell dropped out from the directing role (May 26th, 2011). Now they picked up Neil Burger to take over and he stated
"We're re-writing the script from scratch, and I'm just jumping into that literally right now, about to close the deal and leap off. Until the screenplay is written you never know who's going to be acting in it or not. But there are a lot of good actors out there who even look like Nathan Drake and who could do it. I love the project, I think it's a great adventure and it's a wild insane ride ... the game is and the movie will be. I mean it has pretty great character at its core, Nathan is a bit of a con man, a hustler ... knows his stuff, ballsy..it's great. Absolutely. And then you know you have to do what a movie does best, as well ... build on what's cool about the game and then make it into a movie. Yeah there will be (balance) in this one, this one is a very great adventure, and it's just a matter of pulling out the the [sic] very cool intense stuff that works for the film story, and making sure the story supports those elements and also makes us really connected to the character." That was in July 2011. Originally they were hoping to shoot the film in the summer of 2011 but it looks like we won't get to see the film until probably summer 2013 or late 2013 but that is just a guess.

Bioshock
Another top asked for movie on this forum is Bioshock. That future doesn't look so bright for Rapture.
Industry rumors after the game's release suggested a film adaptation of the game would be made, utilizing similar green screen filming techniques as in the movie 300 to recreate the environments of Rapture. On May 9, 2008, Take Two announced a deal with Universal Studios to produce a BioShock movie, to be directed by Gore Verbinski and written by John Logan. The film was expected to be released in 2010, but was put on hold due to budget concerns. On August 24, 2009 it was revealed that Verbinski had dropped out of the project due to the studio's decision to film overseas to keep the budget under control. Verbinski reportedly feels this would have hindered his work on Rango. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is in talks to direct with Verbinski as producer.
In January 2010 the project was in pre-production stage, with director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Braden Lynch, a voice artist from BioShock 2 both working on the film. By July the film was facing budget issues but producer Gore Verbinski said they were working it out. He also said the film would be a hard R. Ken Levine, during an interview on August 30, 2010, said: "I will say that it is still an active thing and it's something we are actively talking about and actively working on." Verbinski later cited that by trying to maintain the "R" rating, they were unable to find any studios that would back the effort, putting the film's future in jeopardy.
I was sad when I read this. I hope a studio will see the potential of this and back the project. In any case, Rapture's future isn't looking good. Maybe a new film will emmerge from Bioshock Infinite that will take place in the sky instead of undersea.

Dead Space
Dead space has no plans for a feature film as of this date. The franchise saw two CGI films with Dead Space: Downfall and Dead Space: Aftermath.

Infamous
Infamous is a strong possibility.
On July 25, 2009 it was announced that Sony had chosen screenwriter Sheldon Turner to adapt the Sucker Punch game into a feature film in a seven figure deal. Avi Arad and his brother Ari (who are also making an Uncharted: Drake's Fortune film) will produce, and Sony executives Matt Tolmach and Jonathan Kadin are handling for the studio. Turner told The Hollywood Reporter he was excited that the game had a "big idea and a character arc," which he believed was "the future of gaming." He believed the game was essentially "a love ballad to the underachiever," Cole MacGrath. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Heavy Rain
New Line Cinema and Quantic Dream Pictures obtained rights for a film adaptation a few days after the technology demo from E3 2006 was shown. The rights were later purchased in an auction by Unique Features, a production company formed by two former New Line executives, Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne. Shaye and Lynne had purchased the rights to the film with their own funds despite having "first look" rights in place with Warner Bros., who had bought New Line prior to their departure. The film has been fast-tracked by Warner Bros., and David Milch, writer for NYPD Blue and Deadwood will be adapting the game for the big screen. Shaye stated that Milch's "incredible ability to transform intense and complex storylines into gripping, popular drama makes him the perfect partner" for the film adaption. The movie has been officially titled Rain.

Gears of War
On March 20, 2007, it was announced that New Line Cinema had purchased the rights to make a Gears of War film, with Stuart Beattie writing the script along with Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, who will be producing it. Producer Wyck Godfrey said of the film adaptation, "I'm not a gamer, but what blew me away about Gears was how it captures the mythology of a war mission and how high the stakes are." On August 3, 2007, AICN.com reported that Len Wiseman was to direct the movie adaptation of Gears of War. though on March 30, 2007, Godfrey stated that they have "a director we're about to attach" in order to film the movie during 2009 and release in 2010. Cliff Bleszinski, the lead designer of the Gears of War video games, will be an executive producer.
Wiseman was officially signed on in June 2008, with Chris Morgan performing script rewrites. Morgan hinted on G4's televised coverage of Comic Con 2008 that the film would be a prequel to the first game, "it could explain how Marcus Fenix got his scar." According to Morgan, Wiseman "wants to make it as realistic as possible, and to blur those lines where your mind says, 'Oh, it's a big CGI film.'". On December 8, 2009, Wyck Godfrey sat down with MakingOf to talk about the "Gears of War" movie, and said that "to tell the epic story of an alien planet that's living in a horrific environment just feels like the wrong mood right now".
In April 2010, New Line considerably scaled back the $100 million budget and epic story, stalling progress while they wait for a rewrite. Len Wiseman is no longer involved as he shifts his focus to other projects.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:53:59 AM PDT
Scottypiper says:
Devil May Cry
On February 28, 2011, it was announced that Screen Gems, the company responsible for making Capcom video game series Resident Evil into a film series, had purchased feature film rights to the Devil May Cry series. It has been stated that Kyle Ward will be writing the script for the film. It has been hinted that the film will follow Dante setting out to avenge his mother's death.

Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear was going to be made into a movie and rights were purchased in 2006. However, on January 11, 2010, de Luca confirmed that work on a Metal Gear film adaptation was postponed indefinitely. He said Konami expressed concern that the entire Metal Gear franchise could be seriously affected if a movie version performed poorly.
In March 2012 during The Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Hideo Kojima stated, "Honestly, I'm a movie fan and that's very special to me. I honestly would love to make a movie someday, but that said, I think it has to be a certain special game that has to provide that right setting. But I don't think that game will be Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid was developed specifically to become a game. ...If it were to be made into a movie it would have to be something completely new. I wouldn't use my current scripts. I think I'd have to get somebody to get a new script and somebody else to direct it as a movie."
Additionally, a non-profit fanfilm titled Metal Gear Solid: Philanthropy, was produced. The film is set in 2007 and somewhere before or after the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. The movie was well received by fans and also by Hideo Kojima, who said, after being asked by a fan if he had seen the movie, "Of course I did. It's awesome. I felt like crying for their love towards Metal Gear. It's also a well made movie. I can't wait to see next part."

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:02:16 AM PDT
And you will note (along with the non-existent Halo movie) 90% of the movies listed above are in "development hell," and have little to NO chance of being made. Uncharted is moving forward, and some others, but for the moment there isn't any plans for most of them stated above. I know that a Mortal Kombat reboot is filming or in pre-production (based on the web series that came out last year), but so far nothing has happened. Keep wishing, but as for most of the movies that people have mentioned on here, I don't think you will see an adaptation. As I stated in my post (about 1-2 pages back), I would love to see FFIV turned into a movie. Never will happen, but I can dream. And I don't expect to see it any time soon either.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:29:21 AM PDT
Scottypiper says:
I hope more of these actually make it through the production limbo. It is sad to read about some of these potentially coming to life and then fizzle out. There is always hope. Just look at The Hobbit. Finally coming to theaters this year after what, a 17-year delay (Interest started in 1995 but that is another story)? Anyway, here are some other potentials.

Assassins Creed (I really hope this one makes it)
According to Variety, Sony Pictures are in negotiations with Ubisoft Motion Pictures to make a film version of Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft has confirmed that the film will be in 3D. Variety reports that Michael Fassbender will star in and co-produce the film.

God of War (not looking like a reality)
A film adaptation of the first game was announced in 2005. Creator David Jaffe confirmed that a completed script had been written by David Self and would be sent to an unspecified "huge-name director". Jaffe also confirmed that Universal Studios is behind the making of the God of War movie but was unaware of its current status, and eventually stated that "it's doubtful that the film will even be made." In September 2010, Jaffe stated that the "script went out a year and a half ago to Daniel Craig who plays Bond, but he turned it down." He also advised that another actor had since been signed to the role.

Half-Life (this would be cool if Valve actually made a film but nothing on the horizon)
After separate meetings with Hollywood directors who all pitched unsatisfactory film ideas, Valve's CEO and co-founder Gabe Newell told PC Gamer that if a Half-Life movie were to be created, they would make it themselves. He said further that "Team Fortress 2: Meet the Team" shorts are means of experimenting with the idea of a feature length film.

Warcraft
There are tons of inserts about this potential film but I'll just post the last update: "During Blizzcon 2010's Lore panel, Chris Metzen stated the creative team had recently met with Sam Raimi and, while the World of Warcraft movie was not next on Raimi's production schedule, it was still very much in development."

Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, and Assassin's Creed, according to Ubisoft, are planned to be made in to films. According to IMDB, the Splinter Cell movie is stated to be released in 2013. Ubisoft has stated that "We want to keep ownership, retain control over the film content, and we're open to work with studios on the development of our projects, and eventually collaborate on the pre-casting, pre-budget and script." Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures are the frontrunners to make the film version.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time Sequel
Despite total worldwide gross sales of $335,154,643 and has become the highest-grossing video-game adaptation ever worldwide, overtaking previous record holder Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat, no sequel is in the works.

Killzone, Diablo, Starcraft, Call of Duty (Modern Warfare & Black Ops), Alan Wake, Resistance, Red Dead Redemption - No mention of a any film talks that I could find.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:52:07 AM PDT
Here's a question: Why would you want a Warcraft movie? What would be the plot? Why Killzone? Why Diablo? People have played these games to death, so movie adaptations would be like Doom. Doom is a GREAT movie, but was overshadowed by critics and fans because they wanted something totally different. Starcraft? Again, what would be the plot? Besides the tired old "alien invasion" story. A CoD Black Ops movie MIGHT work, but again, many people have played it to death, so what's the point?

As for movie sequels, many times production companies can't find screenwriters, or decent scripts. If a movie does well, they don't want a Mortal Kombat Annihilation. Hence, the studio probably couldn't get the original screenwriter(s) back from Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Sometimes (Chronicles of Narnia) studios don't want to make sequels (Disney is notorious for this), so producers try to find new studios.

In terms of the Hobbit, Peter Jackson lobbied HARD to get the film options for Lord of the Rings, and in 2002 was stiffed by New Line on some money he was owed. He sued New Line, which led to the Hobbit being in development hell for so long. It wasn't until MGM bought the rights to the Hobbit that PJ was allowed to step back in as a director. I personally can't wait until the movie comes out.

One last thing. Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell would be great movies, in the wake of Bourne Legacy coming in August and Skyfall (bond 23, 50th Anniversary of the series) coming in November, with a strong showing of M:I-Ghost Protocol last December. Those movies have potential markets, because people love games and movies with heavy espionage themes. The hype surrounding 007 Legends is proof of that as well.

Speaking of games/movies, there is a new Tomb Raider movie coming (no Angelina Jolie) and a new Tomb Raider game from Square Enix and Eidos. They both look to be good, so we'll see what happens. Also, Resident Evil: Retribution is on it's way, so we aren't short of video game adaptations. It's just that some video games are almost movies unto themselves. Why spoil it with bad adaptations (here's looking at you Super Mario Brothers and MK: Annihilation!)?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:55:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 11:58:52 AM PDT
1 A.M. says:
Halo, Assassin's Creed, God of War, Gears of War, Modern Warfare 3, Dead Space, and Mortal Kombat 9 (i know they already made more than one mortal kombat movie but i want to see a new one with modern graphics)

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:59:05 AM PDT
Scottypiper says:
Thank you all for letting me post updates on potential games adapting into movies. I realize this is asking what video games everybody wants to see as a film and I would jump at the chance to see any of these if they pan out.

Resident Evil was my top choice since playing the original game back in the mid 90s. I was excited to see it come to reality and I have mixed feelings about the results. For instance, the main character in the film, Alice, was never a character in the RE series. Chris, Jill, Leon, & Clair were the main playable characters. Despite that, I was glad that 3 of the 4 characters have finally made it into the film. During Apocalypse, a newspaper clipping said that Leon Kennedy was shot and killed due to Jill's actions. Wesker has been a good villian in the series but the direction of the films have definitely wandered it's own direction. It was good to see Nemesis and I really enjoyed the first two films but I'm not sure I'm liking where the film series headed. Maybe the next film (Retribution, Sept. 14, 2012) will bring back the elements that everybody wants. The director, Paul W. S. Anderson is bringing characters back from the video games that are fan-driven. These characters include Leon Kennedy (finally), Jill, Barry, Ada, & Carlos. Can't wait to see it.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:14:57 PM PDT
Scottypiper says:
My next top choices would be some star wars movies based off of Knights of the Old Republic. They should do some movies that show the Sith origins. A final fantasy VII (movie or next gen remake). Another one I haven't seen mentioned yet would be Deadly Premonition though they would have to make the syfy element more known before the ending (that game took a drastic syfy twist at the end if you haven't played it). I agree on a movie based off of Beyond Good and Evil although if anything happens, it won't be for years due to two more games planned as part of the trilogy (the next probably due out on the Wii U). Some others I wouldn't mind would be like Lost Odyssey, Perfect Dark, and Castlevania (slight chance), and would love to see one based off of Eternal Darkness.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:23:59 PM PDT
A Knights of the Old Republic movie would be awesome, but again, never will happen. As for FFVII, we have Advent Children. Won't ever see a remake though. Besides, they would need at least 4-5 movies to tell it effectively...

Perfect Dark would be awesome, but unfortunately, because of lukewarm reception of the games, it won't happen either. Sorry to burst your bubble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:05:25 PM PDT
Scottypiper says:
No worries Russell. I know none of those games will ever see the big screen. Those were my top wished games after all the ones that actually have a shot. FFVII is just my wish even if it was all CGI. I'd bet a perfect dark movie would do better in sales than the video games did if they get a hot enough chick to play the part.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 8:11:58 PM PDT
Some video game movies are okay - Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil
Some are bad - Doom, Max Payne
Some are travesties to the film industry and their source material - Mario Bros, Alone in the Dark, Wing Commander

But so far, none have been great. I hope for a great screening someday for anything from the following franchises:
- Metroid
- Halo
- Fallout
- Starcraft
Such wonderful universes full of interesting characters and settings. Rich histories. Fond memories.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 9:56:39 PM PDT
pyroguy says:
i've heard rumors that "Doom" is being given the reboot treatment. but when it'll start production, let alone receive the greenlight, depends on how successful "Doom 4" will be

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 3:38:44 PM PDT
Unit543 says:
deus ex, its really happening too!!

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 4:23:34 AM PDT
Troi Mal'al says:
Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake would both be great ideas for movies. There is quite a demand for a rewrite/retelling of those stories seeing as most fans of all the "Solid" games either don't have access to or can't beat the original two.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  180
Total posts:  267
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions