Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

SHOULD SEX BE IN VIDEO GAMES?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 714 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 12:59:59 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 1:25:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2007 1:34:13 PM PDT
Wolfnut88 says:
Karen C. Beverage

How far-gone must you be to think that pixelated creations and live humans are one in the same. The freedom provided by the GTA series is what made it so great, who wants to play a game where the invisible boundries of everyday life restrict you to what you are raised to believe is right and wrong, violence is our past and our furture, even the SNES game Actraiser, in which you portray God, had violence, so enough about violence. Sex, the very word seems to make you cringe if it is not spoken by a couple alone in a room, it is even more a part of our past than anything else. Seeing a couple having sex in public should actually make you think about your own relationship because if they can express their love in public and to the public why can't you, is it because of the invisble shackles society has placed on you proclaiming that love in the form of sex is taboo. Also on what unbiased proof do you base the Christian couples have better sex lives, because by the title alone it seems to try and push you into thinking god is the answer for everything. The reason why it was reported that Chriatians have a better sex life is because the ones that trully have better sex lifes where to busy having sex to take a stupid survey or be part of a study group. Also, yes we do portray violence and sex to our children but it is our, no my responsibility that "MY" child knows what is wrong and what is right. It is not video games, TV violence, movie violence, or violent music lyrics that drive someone past the limit; it is another human being, it is you, the one whom disparges the beauty of love and war that makes an already perturbed individual into breaking the societal norm. Sic vis pacem parabellum, google it if you don't know what it means and for god's sake wake up and open your eyes and accept the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 2:48:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2010 8:36:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 3:14:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2010 8:36:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007 6:38:29 PM PDT
I agree that sex in a game shouldn't really be that big a deal but I disagree in that I do not believe most Americans truly equate sex with evil, its just that the few who americans who do equate sex with evil are well organized enough that they can use out pluralist democratic society to spread their ideas.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 8:23:08 AM PDT
Spreading ideas is perfectly fine... using the barrel of a gun (i.e. government force) to enforce your morals is something entirely different.

Take Genarlow Wilson for instance. This young man was finally released from prison where he was serving 10 years of a sentence of "aggravated child molestation" because he engaged in consensual activity with a 15 year old girl when he was 17. He had oral sex performed on him by this girl, thus the felony charge. The kicker is - had he just been a decent "Christian" boy and had intercourse instead of oral sex, he'd have faced less than a year in jail.

Georgia law made anything other than missionary position (even between husband and wife) a felony up until a couple of years ago.

Does that lead to a better society? Does taking some of the best years out of a young man's life, an A student with dreams of going to college and making a contribution to society - away from him make you sleep better at night because he doesn't conform to your idea of what a sexual relationship is about?

The biggest problem I have with our society is the focus on 'punishment' rather than rehabilitation. We do not care if members of our society learn from their mistakes and attempt to better themselves. We prefer to mark them for life with lost job opportunities and permanent records because they make mistakes.

This view pervades video games... the absolute moralist hypocrisy that reminds me of Nazi book burnings. Politicians constantly harp on regulating video games so that true expression can never be achieved in what is an emerging art form.

How can games ever be considered artistic if we are constantly trying to force regulation over what can and can not be expressed due to our own insecurities?

As far as I'm concerned - games should be allowed to express whatever is chosen by the developers, with appropriate ratings and parenting being the stop gap measure to stop children from being "infected" with immorality.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 12:01:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2007 12:07:08 PM PDT
Wolfnut88 says:
Thanks I. B. Cooper, guess i kinda missed the spacebar there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 5:16:00 PM PDT
ColoSkier says:
Please give links: none of those references actually return any results. In fact, the New York post claims that no James Grey has written for them at all between July and September, 2001.

The Reno Gazette Journal doesn't list any article regarding Modern Europe, even in their archives.

Amy Grant has never published a book called "Sex and the Church". There are plenty of other books regarding that subject, none by Appleby Press in 2003, but I'm curious about the reference.

Chicago Sun times: no article with the word sexism in the title or body of the message. Hmmm...I'm seeing a trend.

Finally, no such article, "Don't go to France!" exists on The Travelers Journal website in 2002. Please clarify.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 5:38:06 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 7:25:04 PM PDT
I honestly do not think it is "Christian bashing" as much as it is "Christian fundamentalist" bashing. I'm a Christian. That means I am supposed to work to spread the message of the savior. That does not mean I'm supposed to use deadly (read: government) force to enforce my beliefs on others.

I honestly see nothing wrong with nudity so long as it is not followed by lust. As I pointed out before with Michaelangelo's paintings.

I am also a believer in the United States Constitution - and I believe that anyone should be able to say or do anything they want, so long as it does not interfere with anyone else's right to do the same. "My right to swing my fist ends at your face" in other words.

I believe the ESRB ratings system is arbitrary and influenced by politics more than common sense. I believe the AO rating should be done away with, and the M rating should be moved to encompass all games 18+.

Under the M 18+ tag could be lists of themes which contributed to the rating: nudity, strong language, violence - and the retailer could make an informed decision whether or not to carry the item based on the needs/desires of its customers.

Freedom does have a place in this country. Regulation and knee-jerk reactionism does not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 4:31:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2010 8:36:05 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 12:19:35 PM PDT
S. Rhodes says:
Okay, sorry to just barge in on the conversation. I haven't read many of the posts, so if I say something someone else has, I apologize in advance.

First of all, to say that putting sex in video games would cause more teenagers etc. to have sex is absurd. The media shows several forms of sexuality all the time and somehow the teen pregnancy rate has actually decreased in America. Not increased. Second, you again have to apply the parent factor. If a six year old plays a game that has sex in it... you'd have to wonder how they got a hold of it anyway. Then you'd have to wonder if the parent knows what the child is playing. And if the parent doesn't know... what have they been doing? It's kind of hard (especially for a child) to hide what games he's playing from his parents.

We have adult oriented movies. Adult oriented television shows (granted you'll mostly find them on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc.), Adult oriented music, and even adult oriented cartoons! But when it comes to video games... we immediately say no. Probably because the stereotype is that most games are played by kids. Most games are played by Adults. What's worse? The TV shows and movies are more easily accessible to kids. All a child has to do to see sex is somehow stumble upon Cinemax late at night.

When I say its okay for sex to be in video games, I'm not advocating you make it a mini-game or anything. I'm saying you put it in the cutscenes. A way to advance the story of the game.

Japan has had sex in their video games for well over a decade and they're just fine (they've also had much more gruesome violence for over a decade and they have one of the lowest crime rates in the world).

I think it's perfectly alright. But just like violence, it means a parent has to step up their game and exert their authority over their children. With how easily accessible it is to find sex on television and the internet, I don't think video games are going to be too big of a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 3:03:15 PM PDT
Nicnac says:
don't give up on your thought. European TV is open to sex and nudity in primetime.
A nipple flashes on the screen in the US and Congress calls special sessions. All this while US primetime television is filled to the brim with rape, torture, and murder in CSI, NCIS, 24, Dateline etc. I believe we in the US have it all backwards and upside down. Sex = ugly. Violence = beautiful.
Europe: Sex = beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2007 3:35:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2007 3:36:24 PM PDT
superleet says:
US society has turned sex into a forbidden fruit.
The more mystery, the more motive to try it.
its the same way with drugs and alcohol.
If you criticize sex, you criticize the evolution of mankind.
don't forget, sex is the reason your even here to read this post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 2:59:11 PM PST
Aside from all the moral implications...

It shouldn't be banned. Look how much silly fun it generated as a mechanic in little bits of the original God of War. Hilarious! Sex definitely adds an element of humor and fun when used in a proper context.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 3:11:29 PM PST
S. Coombs says:
Depends on the amount. Like the lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect is disgusting, and totally irrelevant.
Overall I think sex should be kept out of video games. Sure, it's not a bad thing, but there is no reason to flaunt it around and force people who don't want to see it to have to watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2007 6:07:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2007 6:13:14 PM PST
It would be neat if publishers unleashed their expressive freedoms whenever they wanted. Hell, they already do in scope of violence (I've yet to hear of a title rated AO purely because of violent content). Rarely can you even acquire one for nudity. There are 3 ways that I know of to achieve an AO rating...
1.) RAPE- I'm not talking just cuddling until the act is "accidently done on purpose," but hard-core violently forcing one's unclothed body on another person's unclothed body until release. 2.) MURDER- "What? Happens all the time!" No, no. The way that so many games (Hitman, The Suffering...) get away with this is that they'll either say that it was "self-defense," or a "probability of danger." (Notice that whomever you kill always has a weapon, or attacks you first).
3.) REALISTIC " " - Nudity, Sex, or Blood and Gore...When used in a prolonged single moving shot. i.e. Pictures (Duke Nukem, Playboy)- fine. Video (Super Columbine Massacre, GTA: San Andreas)- AO.

Oh, and another reason is that PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii won't publish AO games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:58:47 AM PST
Jon says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 5:13:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2010 8:36:01 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 9:02:58 AM PST
i dont think that a game maker should be limited. so if they want sex in the game, let them. i probbally wouldnt buy the game if it was just a sexual game. but if its part of the story, id have no problem with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 9:54:17 AM PST
In my opinion i will say yes! Specially in games that simulates real life stuffs like The SIMS and Grand Theft Auto games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 4:56:04 PM PST
Ussiowa says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 5:03:45 PM PST
Ussiowa says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 5:11:21 PM PST
Ussiowa says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 8:02:12 PM PST
Penny Tratre says:
Yes. Sex should be in videogames, under the nut shots and everything.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Game forum (193 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  324
Total posts:  714
Initial post:  Oct 1, 2007
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions