Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

is GTA 4 suitable for 15yr old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 251 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2008 11:28:19 AM PDT
Chopperacn says:
I know its rated M, but there are many M rated games,which a 15 yr old can play , I was kinda wondering if GTA 4 also falls in that category?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 11:44:28 AM PDT
M. Alvarez says:
As a parent who has this game I'd say absolutely not. My kids aren't old enough to play video games, but if I had a 15 y/o I would never let them play this game.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 11:55:34 AM PDT
Delta117 says:
NOOOO!!! I have found many disturbing aspects to this game that are definitely not appropriate for a 15 year old. There are explicit sex scenes as well as rampant violence against police and innocent bystanders throughout the game (some parts of the game actually require you to kill police and innocent bystanders to progress). All of this is in addition to copious amounts of profanity and lewd references sprinkled throughout the dialogue. I am suprised this game did not get the dreaded AO rating.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 12:02:08 PM PDT
J. Chellis says:
I would say no. Let them get it once they're 18, but before then, definitely not. Here's what it says on the back of the box as far as the ESRB Rating goes:

Rated M (Mature), 17+
Blood
Intense Violence
Partial Nudity
Strong Language
Strong Sexual Content
Use of Drugs and Alcohol

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 12:15:25 PM PDT
Gregg S. says:
Absolutely not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 12:19:32 PM PDT
I let my son play most anything..but if I was to allow him to play gta4 social services should be called on me...its really BAD!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 12:28:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2008 12:31:45 PM PDT
Raul Duke says:
i first played GTA III at 13. the sexual content is amped up a bit in this one, but still nothing compared to what hollywood puts out(even in some PG-13 movies), and of couse, with better graphics, the violence has more realism, other than that, its the same GTA it has been since '98 or so. shooting random people, stealing cars. if your kid is generally well balanced i dont see why he cant play it. i was younger when i started on the series and i feel like a generally well adjusted person. i havent killed any random pedestrians yet at leased haha.

Gregg S, you're response is as helpful as "because i said so"

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 12:53:51 PM PDT
ash says:
I have played it before 13, and I guess probably would be suitable besides the sexual content. I would say wait till 16 or 17 and then it would be a good time to buy it. That is when I would probably start getting games like that around 16.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 3:18:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2008 3:19:48 PM PDT
M. Montoya says:
I think it is just as violent as any other game. It depends solely on your child. If your child is a mature 15 year old and is able to tell the difference between reality and video games. Then yes by all means yea why shouldn't he/she be able to play it. I see kids these days maturing alot faster then when I was there age. As far as delta saying they are exposed to explicit sex scenes.. Do you not think they are seeing it when they are with their friends. Violence is shown every day on TV. It doesn't matter if you don't buy this game for your kid they will still be exposed to explicit sex scenes and violence elsewhere. You are just making them do it behind your back

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 3:28:30 PM PDT
Mr 4732 says:
GTA is suitable for adults. Buy something else

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 3:32:09 PM PDT
Mr 4732 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 4:36:13 PM PDT
im 15 and I have played it. Still that didn't made me a serial killer, it shure wouldn't make your son one either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 4:57:32 PM PDT
Listen to ME says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 9:55:13 PM PDT
Yuzna says:
If you have a responisble kid I don't see a problem with it, though I still think that there are other games out there for kids at 15. I think the US babies kids to much in the wrong way...kids in Europe are exposed to stuff parents in the US wouldn't even dream off exposing their kids to in the US, yet kids are more f-ed up here, go figure. People blame society and video game...I say to heck with that and be a parent god damnit. If you think your kid can't handle it, then don't let him play it. The whole protection scheme isn't working, the only thing that works is dialogue. If there is an open communication, nothing the kid sees or hear will mess him up (unless we are talking about war trauma, but that's very unlikely in the US). Well, that's just my two cents.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 10:38:31 PM PDT
S. Hahn says:
I think you must take their maturity level into account, but overall, no... This game amps up the violence and sexual content quite a bit (though it isnt dramatically more vulgar). Its not like spacey violence of gears of war or halo, which I think a 15 year old could play despite the M rating, this is real world violence...

Overall, I have to say NO, but take into account the maturity level of the 15 year old in question and then make a wise choice.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 2:55:19 AM PDT
GTA most definately doesn't fall into "That Category." Halo 3 does. Call of Duty 4 does. Rainbow Six Vegas does. But GTA IV? It definately deserves the M it got. I enjoy it beyond all belief, it's a mind blowing game. But it assumes that you have 0 innocence left, where as Halo 3 and the like still leave many mature topics to the imagination. I'd say no to 15 year olds in general, but a rare few, if you know they can handle it, maybe... just maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 6:40:48 AM PDT
T. Zinkle says:
I heard that GTA IV is pretty bad in terms of profanity and violence. I'm not sure because I've never played it, but from the looks of it, I would definitely say no. If you want to play a really good game that doesn't involve killing innocent people, you should play Resistance for PS3. In that game, you kill aliens instead of innocent people.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 6:52:38 AM PDT
S. Hansen says:
I would say NO!!! Find another game.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008 4:48:53 AM PDT
Brok Bunnell says:
All I have to say is that it's a freaking video game! I am 20 years old, and started playing GTA When I was 15, because that is when my dad let me, because he loves the game too. Now I have a 15 year old brother and a 16 year old brother, and I let them play it. Why? Because what would 2-3 years of age matter! I am pretty sure that they will be the same at 18 as they are at 15. The thought of you even considering your 15 year old playing it, is actually a good thing in my book. Play the game for yourself and see if it is suitable, but c'mon we are not talking about a 10 year old here. He's like a what, a Sophomore in High school? Let the kid play the game if you want.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008 6:03:06 AM PDT
No says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 6:49:28 PM PDT
Jason Lee says:
I think people need to give 15 year olds more credit. There's nothing in GTA 4 that a 15 year old doesn't know already, and there's nothing in GTA 4 that you can't find in an episode of SOUTH PARK -- or more commonly, spoken about from other 15 year olds.

If anything, I think 15 year olds will be turned off from the realistic, gritty story line, particularly the immigrant/cultural angle -- since it's less... cartoony than the previous GTAs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2008 7:08:07 PM PDT
JR says:
I'd say it's fine if your kid can seperate fiction from reality. Children are exposed to all kinds of garbage through their friends so unless you are a "holy roller" that completely wants to prevent kids from any real world exposure, I'd say go for it.

In defense of the game, it is very well made and lots of fun. Videogames don't load guns and kill people.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 12:32:52 AM PDT
dc says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 12:38:11 AM PDT
T. Marble says:
Well, I'd recommend going to IGN.com and look up the video called "ladies of liberty city" which is a video that
shows SOME of the incredibly detailed and graphic sex acts you'll find commonplace within the game.
Things such as oral sex, sex with hookers, simulated lesbian sex, violence against women, violence against other races, extreme vulgarities, and more.

Basically this is one of those games that is a test of humanity... just because someone CAN make a game like this, doesn't mean they should, nor should people buy it... however humanity it seems failed that test.

Now, I'm by no means a prude, or a religious wacko or anything, and I enjoyed a few rounds of Mortal Kombat in my youth, but this game goes far beyond the norm and acceptable limits of what should be considered "interactive entertainment."

What next? a game where you play as Heinrich Himmler and annihilate jews? What's happened to society's moral compass?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 4:36:03 AM PDT
Anort says:
I think that if you have honestly think that your kid at this age does not know about this yet you are only fooling yourself. The internet has far more profane images and acts on it and all you have to do is google it. A game is just for fun and entertainment and if you kid does not understand this then no he should not play a game like this or even any game.
But the point is you kid knows about all this. Media, internet and the outside world shows all this at all times.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  161
Total posts:  251
Initial post:  May 28, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions