Industrial-Sized Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Action Game forum

Favorite Console.....Of All Time.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 174 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 3, 2011 12:10:13 AM PST
I'm going to go with NES and Xbox 360. Both of these were hugely successful and each redefined the industry in its own way. NES made video gaming mainstream, period. I'd been playing the Commodore 64 and Atari 2600 but it was the NES that made video gaming something that all my friends enjoyed and made hanging out at a buddy's house to spend the night a normal activity. In Xbox 360's case it was with the ridiculous successes of Xbox Live and the Kinect. Xbox Live's multiplayer gameplay was previously only seen on PCs and has become the norm, and its media streaming made the console the one-device-to-do-everything-in-the-livingroom solution. The Kinect, meanwhile, is currently the fastest selling consumer electronics device ever, and that's saying a lot considering it cost Microsoft pennies to manufacture (and then some).

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 8:13:56 AM PST
phoenix says:
Well as far as best system(s) ever : nes-for bringing gaming back from the brink,snes-great rpg system+nintendo exclusives,ps one,ps2-great rpg system-sadly by ps3 jrpg's are an endangered genre as pc like rpg's are now dominant: oblivion,skyrim,dragon age 1 and 2.

Other systems were good with many great games but the systems listed above had not just great games but were havens for rpg fans everywhere sadly all most gamers want now is cod : whatever-f.p.s's have slaughtered other games like platformers,jrpg's and even strategy rpg's with portables becoming the new rpg haven because unless people grow bored of cod and demand greater depth from their games like uncharted 1-3 have in spades gaming will become a place where people only frag each other in online arena's as who even bothers with single player anymore?!!

Don't get me wrong i enjoy f.p.s games but also love more story in my games than go here,kill everyone,to be continued in next game.
You can find me playing :gears,halo,killzone,cod,bf,resistance but i would rather have deeper story/character development like the ps3 series uncharted has in ALL my f.p.s as well,what about you....?

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 7:39:59 PM PST
M. Cooper says:
Nintendo 64, for sure. Staying up all night playing Goldeneye with friends....staying up all night playing Super Smash Bros. with friends, etc. After that, PS3, mainly for its versatility. It's a great bluray player, online multiplayer is free to access, it streams netflix and hulu, and not only has it had many solid games of its own, but it can play original playstation games as well. Plus the first generation of PS3s played PS2 games. All of this in one box. My first gen PS3 is like my all-in-one entertainment hub.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 5:20:13 AM PST
smish says:
NES - Super mario, contra

PC - NFS 3 , Half life , Brian Lara Cricket

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 12:53:02 PM PST
I grew up with a gamecube, but i'm sure n64 was amazing when it came out.
ps2 is the overall best.

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 4:55:38 PM PST
CMX says:
Neo Geo AES or CD then the Dreamcast

Posted on Dec 4, 2011 7:33:39 PM PST
DJ75 says:
SNES, it took 2d side-scroller games to their peak, and had the best balance of exclusive and 3rd party titles of any console since.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 9:10:46 AM PST
The real man says:
old school systems, xbox 360, gba, psp, and ps3.Don't forget ps2!

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 12:06:21 PM PST
badguy says:
3 way tie beteween the GENESIS, PSX, and PS2 current gen is just disappointing

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 2:01:08 PM PST
Anarchy 99 says:
ConvenientTruth ....Ghost of Kwanzaa Past says:
N64 and PS1 -Exactly what i was just about 2 post, my 2 favorites of all time.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:09:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2011 1:10:35 PM PST
Nintendo DS just looks at all those f'n games.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 7:23:45 AM PST
Rah says:

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:54:53 PM PST
Lat says:
The Playstation (PS1) was the best console ever made because it had the most epic games ever. Don't get me wrong the N64 certainly had its own masterpieces such as Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda OoT, and the lesser known "cult heroes" Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Space Station Silicon Valley,etc.

But the PSX had it's own "epic" games such as Twisted Metal, Resident Evil, Tekken, Silent Hill, Syphon Filter, The Epic Masterpiece FFVII, Crash Bandicoot, and Metal Gear Solid which was such an amazing and groundbreaking game that it changed the way I looked at games forever, and I have been a huge fanboy of the series ever since.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 1:48:04 AM PST
Shusaku says:
My favorite system, without question, is N64. I still play the system and buy games for it from time to time. You just can't argue with the awesomeness that is Conker's Bad Fur Day, but also Goldeneye 007, Bomberman, and Gauntlet Legends.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 6:12:24 AM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
PS1 & SNES! Super Mario World and Twisted Metal were awesome! Plus Those two are ones that bring back some of the best childhood memories i have!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 8:10:37 PM PST
JB72 says:
I started out with a NES, then a SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3. I have to say PS3 is my favorite just because the first time I put in MGS4, I went crazy over it. Next favorite is the NES because you just can't forget all those epic Mario games and Duck Hunter!!

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 8:27:20 PM PST
Austin says:
I recently got into gaming so out of the five systems I've owned (Nintendo DS lite, Sony PS2 slim, Sony PSP 3000, Nintendo Wii, Sony PS3 slim), my absolute favorite is the PS3. Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, and Warhawk have been the funnest exclusives I've owned on my PS3. Sony forever!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 9:25:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2012 9:31:36 AM PST
Atari , turbo graphix 16 and the sega genesis as well as the sega cd were consoles i grew up on and the saturn so i started as a genesis fan and phantasy star is what did it.. these are all i will always cherish. the commodore 64 and intellivision didnt do it for me and coleco vision didnt either.. so it started at atari for me as far as gaming love although activisions ghostbusters for the c-64 was fun, and frogger..

but nintendo was the staple, with the gameboy and the gyro-bot and then the gameboy etc, these are what i got for presents etc..
but at the same time i was more of a sega guy with the game gear and consoles.. so sega was my fav, but nintendo was always right next to it.
just that nintendo had many games which i also wanted.. as far as turbo graphix well bonk is all i really played.

and i cant help but think about certain elements which were there and now
funny how far along electronic arts came along and how they started..

fav all time is the genesis, right now it is the ps3 and p.c. for gaming

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 12:08:18 AM PST
As everyone who has posted previously has shown, each console we've owned has meant something to us, and it's the games, not the console, that we remember.

NES, being so young, was amazing to me. We only ever had the dual Mario/Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley, but I did get to play Zelda at a friends plenty...and that hooked me....oh...I almost forgot...the rented copy of Punch OUT!....I played that game so many damn times...still playable to this day...

SNES - finally was able to accrue a decent library of games, but a few stand tall above the crowd, mainly A Link to the Past and Illusion of Gaia, and Star Fox as (at the time) those 3d graphics blew my mind...

N64- Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros., 007, Majoras Mask...gaming took a next step...and for the first time I was current, able to afford my own games and such.

ps1- got one when the mini joint came out and tried to play catchup with PS games...a few were good...overall nothing sticks out....but it did convince me to go with the PS2 over the Gamecube...which is odd considering I only ever owned Nintendo consoles previously.

Ps2- This devilish console introduced me to the horribly addictive world of Online gaming that I previously had never experienced thanks to SOCOM: US Navy this day...nothing touches the competitiveness and sheer addictiveness of this game online. The single player, who cares, it was all about online. I quit jobs over this game and its sequel. And I was good at it too...which made it all the worse. How can you quit something you are elite at? This game dominated too much of my life...which is ultimately why I stopped gaming (minus the occassional game at a friends house or something) for the most part.

It all stops there. I just got back into gaming after getting my 360 in the mail here in Afghanistan...and Im taking baby steps...Madden 12, NBA 2K12 and the Gears of War trilogy for now...with no online access...but I've already caught the bug again. Kingdom of Alamur on pre-order...Vanquish, Lost Planet, Halo 3 ODST, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Bulletstorm, Dark Souls, and some others on the way...

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 12:43:11 AM PST
C. R. Flores says:
Sega Genesis and PS2.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 1:39:47 PM PST
Robert Kiehn says:
Mine as well!

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 1:47:41 PM PST
Robert Kiehn says:
The best system of all time is of course the NES followed by SNES and then Playstation. The NES had several of the best games ever made such as Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 2 and Super Mario 3 as well as Zelda, Metroid, Double Dragon, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, and many others that were great and set many trends in the gaming world. SNES has Super Mario World, Donkey Kong, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Final Fight, Super Metroid, etc. The Playstation had Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3, Silent Hill, Dino Crises, Metal Gear Solid, Marvel vs Capcom and many other solid games. The PC is also another great system as is the PS2 and Xbox 360 with The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series on them. The Nintendo 64 was also an awesome system but lacked many great titles that the Playstation had going for it.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 1:57:47 PM PST
Robert Kiehn says:
Best PC and Console games are: Deus Ex, Daggerfall, Oblivion, Skyrim,
Fallout 1, 2 and 3, Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3, Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3 as well
as Code Veronica and part 4, Any Super Mario, Zelda or Metroid game,
Any Castlevania game except part 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake,
Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Battlefield 1942, Age of Empires 1, 2 and 3,
Half Life, Grand Theft Auto , 2 and III including Vice City and San Andreas
as well as part IV, Goldeneye, Most Star Wars Games, Simcity and Metal Gear
Solid 1, 2 3 and 4. There are many more that are also notable such as Left 4
Dead, No One Lives Forever, Starcraft, X-Com, Warcraft, Command and Conquer,
Myst, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Unreal, Alan Wake, SWAT, F.E.A.R. etc.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 12:54:25 AM PST
I can't decide between the N64, Gamecube and Ps2.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 1:06:31 AM PST
Toss up between Colecovision and Vetrex.

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action Game forum (193 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action Game forum
Participants:  145
Total posts:  174
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions