Customer Discussions > Action forum

Christian action adventure novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 289 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2007 3:13:12 PM PDT
Florentius says:
I'm looking for good AA novels that are written either from a pro-Christian point of view or with strong Christian undertones. So much the better if they're also suitable for kids--I've got a bunch here that we're homeschooling.

I've found several such as "The Red Keep", "The Blood Red Crescent," and "Big John's Secret". These are good for kids as well as adults, but I often feel like the history behind them is a bit white-washed. They're also books that were written some 40-60 years ago now.

More recent ones include "Angels in Iron" by Prata and "Belisarius" by Belzoni* but I'm always looking for other stuff as well, either new or old.

Can anyone suggest a few?

*Disclaimer--I work for the company that publishes these two, but I don't hesitate to endorse them because they're both really good reads!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 4:46:32 PM PDT
Gary Gerold says:
Try 'The Team versus the empire of arrogance', though not really for children, this is the first novel in a four book series that chronicles the adventures of three very different people who are thrown togethter by fate. And together they are trying to stop the ultimate anarchist before he could signal the begining of the end. These books are loaded with christian values and lessons that can be used in every day life.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007 10:41:30 PM PDT
AR Horvath's "Fidelis" meets both of your criteria- written from a pro-Christian POV and with strong Christian undertones. As for being suitable for kids... that's hard to say. From my reading of it I would think 13 and up. I'm not familiar with the books you mentioned as having history white-washed but Fidelis is set in the 'not too distant future' and the history is absolutely not white-washed. The Christian themes in Fidelis are clear, I think, but not so pervasive that an un-suspecting non-Christian would be put off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2007 3:26:14 PM PDT
Florentius says:
Good suggestion. Having checked out the book's page on Amazon, it looks really interesting. The description blurb isn't too indicative of what the story is about, though. Can you explain a bit without spoilers?

My likes tend to be historical AA, rather than speculative fiction, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2007 8:48:56 PM PDT
I think you'd have to call it speculative fiction, but history is very important in the book. What is it about? Without giving anything away? That's going to be difficult. I'll try briefly. Again, recall that it is set in the not too distant future. The main character, Fides, is separated from his family just as a limited nuclear war breaks out. The social structure had been deteriorating for a long time but now it collapses to near anarchy. Numerous philosophical ideologies resurface to take control of the pieces, but Fides just wants to go home and find out about his family. He deals with doubt, cynicism, shame, and his own lingering sense of cowardice. He is guided by Fermion, who calls himself a 'Nephilim.' The Nephilim appear to agents from other universes that God has created. There are other mysterious people roaming around too and we are told that these are not Nephilim. There are lots of battles, though Fides is not involved in all of them. You can tell that a lot of groundwork is being laid for future books. That said, I found it to be enjoyable in it's own right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 5:47:58 PM PDT
There's a good sci-fi one out that many 6-12 graders enjoy. More geared for boys but girls may enjoy it as well if they like sci-fi. Spirit Warrior by Peter H. Zindler. (http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Warrior-Peter-H-Zindler/dp/0595363326/ref=sr_1_36/002-3237150-0239253?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1181263465&sr=1-36)

I have an author just now going through ARC reviews and looking for a publisher - this one promises to be a big hit!! I can get you an ARC copy if you're interested...

Maria Edwards
www.AmericanAuthorsAssociation.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 6:27:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2007 6:28:35 AM PDT
Homer Hickam says:
You might want to try Homer Hickam's Josh Thurlow series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2007 6:31:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2007 6:35:09 AM PDT
I have available on all websites a novel which is about a Christian woman who actually existed. It is the story she used to tell about her own experience in a blizzard and one that fascinates both children and adults. It also introduces the reader to a different time in history, the late 1800's in the United States.
"A Storm to Remember; Mimosa's Story". Hope this helps.
Ed

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 1:35:05 PM PDT
Mark Mewell says:
You should try Eagle in the Sand - about the early days of the struggle to establish the new religion after the crucifixion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2007 8:38:33 AM PDT
Jay L. Young says:
Since you asked, I'll recommend ... my books! I write Christian Action / Adventure, although the language and intense action may be too advanced for elementary-aged children. The series I'm writing now is about superheroes across the ages in a Biblical / Christian setting. Check out "Heroes of Old" and "Spirit of Heroes". <Shamelss plug over>

God bless,
Jay

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2007 12:49:08 PM PDT
Hi, Ms. Schiavo. Check out this website http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13
and read THE NIGHT OF THE PLESIOSAUR. It is the first in a series of Matt Chase Adventures about a Christian middle school mathematics teacher and his sidekick, a Soldier in the Army. a fun read

Roger

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2007 1:09:15 PM PDT
hello again. Here is a look at the prologue to THE NIGHT OF THE PLESIOSAUR (a Christian Action/Adventure novel suitable for teenagers and above) Roger

PROLOGUE

ple-si-o-sau-rus also ple-si-o-saur...A large marine reptile of the extinct suborder Plesiosauria, common in Europe and North America during the Mezoic era. (From the American Heritage Dictionary)

Not very long ago...

From the front of her snout to the tip of her mottled rusty brown tail the mother was over thirty feet in length. Her baby, a mere eighteen feet long, swam close by her right side as they moved in undulating motion through the cold waters of a deep lake toward a school of unsuspecting and slower moving rainbow trout. With their long mouths open and their diamond shaped flippers acting as stabilizers, the mother and son swept into the formation of unfortunate fish, chomping away at their flesh, swallowing some of them whole before the group scattered in all directions. The mother instinctively followed the largest group of fleeing trout, gorging herself on seven or eight more and then swung up and around to search for junior. It did not take long for her to spot him, swimming through the murky water after a single trout heading panic stricken for the safety of the rocks near the shore. The baby managed to take a bite out of the fish's tail just as it slid into a crevice of limestone but bumped into the rock unable to stop its forward momentum in time. Quickly coming to her adolescent's side, the huge mother nudged him with her nose and they burst away from the shore in a cloud of bubbles and headed for the surface.
Both of the beasts hissed into the cool night air as their horse-like heads broke out of the lake followed by long, sleek necks. A half moon shone down through scattered fluffy gray cumulus clouds onto the pair as they gathered in fresh air and gazed at the surrounding pine and other fauna of the great Canadian north woods. Light from the Milky Way and the Aurora Borealis flickered along with moonlight onto their wet heads and necks as they slowly drifted toward the center of the lake and two rippling wakes flowed behind as they swam lazily along, digesting their fish dinner. Their nocturnal swim continued for a few more minutes until the mother suddenly dipped her head into the water and disappeared under the surface, followed a split second later by her massive son.
They descended to a depth of nearly a hundred feet before leveling off and set their course for the east side of the ancient lake which was currently inhabited by fifteen of their kind. Presently the creatures entered an underwater tunnel, which led a hundred meters through the limestone into a large open-air cavern. Other monsters like themselves lounged among the rocks as they entered the cave and gave short snorts of recognition as the mother and son joined them in their dark place of refuge lit only by a series of fissures in the mountain above them. Stalactites hanging from the ceiling reflected some of the moonlight that managed to find its way down into their home giving the place a magical look of eerie color. Mother and son pulled up alongside the largest male and snuggled their strong necks against him, hissing in apparent affection for their family member.
Half an hour later the band of fifteen were asleep in their quiet chamber, the only sounds being the slight current of water entering and leaving the cavern and the occasional hiss and snort from nostrils or the release of gas from their hind ends. All was peaceful and well for this community of plesiosaurs, as it had been for the thousands of years since Noah's Flood. But their softball-sized minds had no way of knowing that their world was about to change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2007 8:10:02 PM PDT
Maggie Cruz says:
Check out the website mcalev.com. Thirty Seven Days- The Awakening by M C Alev, has it all; adventure/action, humor,and family oriented. It's a great Christian read for the entire family.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2007 12:16:04 PM PDT
Florentius says:
I checked out Spirit Warrior. Not exactly what I'm looking for. Less comic, more literature.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2007 10:36:09 AM PDT
N. Dean says:
Have you tried any Frank Peretti? This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness are more christian super natural but very good action I thought and origional story back when published, he also has many more since then that are good reads.

NDean

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2007 5:41:14 AM PDT
At the risk of being accused of self-promotion (I would have replied solely to you if that were possible to avoid such recriminations), take a look at my recently publsihed novel, The Messenger, in which a freshman U.S. Senator vaults to worldwide fame following his first speech from the Senate floor. Although he claims to have delivered his speech in English, amazed listeners claim it could be understood by all who heard it, no matter what their language. Some think him a prophet, others call him a fraud, and most write off the incident to mass hysteria. Until it recurs. While the novel is paced as a thriller (and has its share of action scenes), it explores important questions such as the meaning of free will, the role of religion in politics and the nature of good and evil. I don't attempt to provide definitive answers to these questions (I'm not that smart), but I believe it important to think about them. Note, however, that a couple of scenes may not be appropriate for pre-teens.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2007 8:33:22 PM PDT
Ben Maxwell says:
I've written a novel with a Christian protagonist, and Christians in the novel are shown favorably overall. But I can't say that the novel, United America: 2014 has a specifically pro-Christian pov or has "strong" Christian overtones. It's certainly not a children's novel.

I think your best bet there would be the likes of Charles Dickens or Madyline L'Engel, or perhaps pick up an adapted version of Ben Hur.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2007 12:42:13 PM PDT
Arkrider says:
If the children are 11 years or older, please have a look at my novel, Alpha Rising. There's much scriptural allegory with a lost-in-space Indiana Jones-like astronaut trying to rescue his abducted crewmates from evil captors. His first worship experience in a tunnel of light leads to a mission that fulfills prophecy in a story that spans from Genesis to the opening of the 6th and 7th seals in Revelation. The "feel good" ending has people wanting to stand up and cheer! Alpha Rising is listed here at Amazon, or you can find more info at my website: http://www.alpharising.net

Good luck on finding just the right story!
G.L. Douglas

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2007 3:26:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2007 3:29:04 PM PDT
Tina says:
Hi,

I would like to recommend Toil Under the Sun, the recent novel by R. Phillip Ritter. Please read my review. I would add that I think the novel is appropriate for middle school and higher.

Tina

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2007 12:15:44 PM PDT
Give "Fuzzy the Treasure Hound" a try by Michael Hagemeister. It is a great book for kids, lots of adventure, and humor, but it also has Christian values with strong undertones.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2007 9:09:05 PM PDT
Hi AP,

I am a writer who is a Christian (not a Christian writer; there's a difference). My novel, "Foreign and Domestic: Campaign II--Battle for the Middle States" is a futuristic war-thriller about a superpower UN who invades America, dividing the nation into those who welcome them and those who fight them. I'm an ex-A-10 fighter pilot and this book is my attempt to resurrect the epic Tom Clancy sagas I once devoured so many years ago (e.g. "Red Storm Rising").

While FND is written to be an entertaining action/adventure (as evidenced by its movie-poster cover), I also used it to explore many of the themes affecting families these days. Spider, the main character, is torn between duty to country and keeping the family he left behind together all the while his feminist wife vies for control and his teenage son rebels by joining the UN Peace Cadets. These sub-plots take the reader on a their own dramatic roller-coaster until the end, where their story-lines finally connect in a redemptive, though bitter-sweet climax.

Sex: No. Swearing: Yes. Sermonizing: No. Violence: Yes. Appropriate age: 11th-12th grade.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 1:05:57 PM PDT
Check out my book "Destroyer", it's prolly got some of the heaviest AA you'll see (without leaning heavy on the sci-fi supernatural)...read the review and see whatcha think!

Johnny Favorite

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 3:05:35 PM PDT
Gerald Welch says:
The Last Witness series isn't washed down and it's a strong Christian series, but I don't recommend them for kids under twelve.

Book One: Resurrected Destiny
Book Zero (the prelude): The Arterran Chronicles

Both are available here on Amazon, author Gerald Welch. The official website is TheLastWitness.com

*Disclaimer-I'm the author. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 3:20:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2007 3:21:05 PM PDT
Gerald Welch says:
To the author of America: 2014: Doesn't your novel also feature a gay character?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 3:50:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2007 3:54:24 PM PDT
Hello, AP--

Would like to throw in my novel as -- Pirate Spirit: The Adventures of Anne Bonney by Jeffery Williams. It is a kind of prodigal story, with some pirate gristle and grit to it, but also significant Christian imagery. The main character grapples with biblical issues even as she is tempted by lure of a rebellious life, but eventually humbles herself before God It was a book club selection for Catholicmom.com, (http://www.catholicmom.com/br_williams.htm)though it has no deminational focus. Plenty of action, adventure and piratical exploits -- not a book for young teenagers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Action forum (156 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Action forum
Participants:  194
Total posts:  289
Initial post:  May 19, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 36 customers

Search Customer Discussions