Customer Discussions > Adventure Games forum

Let's Face It, The Adventure Genre is Dead

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 14, 2010 12:46:58 PM PDT
L. Frankish says:
I have been so disappointed in the last year or so with the quality of adventure gaming. I have even had to resort to playing the gaustly "hidden object" games just to get a fix. Although a couple of them are OK (Madame Fate, Ravenhurst) the majority are horrible.
The genre seems to be dying because it is just to hard to make a full adventure game when dumbed down hidden object games are easier to crank out.
I am really looking forward to Rhem 4, but afer that I hold out no hope for anything as fun as the Myst series, or even anything simplly amusing like Scratches or the Darkfall saga.
What do you all think?

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 6:50:57 PM PDT
C. Morelock says:
Have you missed the inception of Telltale Games? We have Tales of Monkey Island, new Sam and Max games, and more and you're saying adventure gaming is dead? Maybe the Myst clone is (face it, most games in that genre never held a candle to Myst), but graphic adventures seem to be slowly regaining popularity.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 12:27:32 AM PDT
Most people in the target market for videogames (teenage boys) want hack and slash games.
Adventure games were always somewhat of a niche market, with long lead times and small sales volume, thus slim profit margins (especially compared to first person shooters). The market they're aimed at has always been more mature people, who're ever more being told that playing games is for kids and they shouldn't do it.
And with many mmos featuring both hack&slash and some form of adventure questing, they're pretty much meant the end of the adventure genre by appealing to a variety of styles of gameplay.

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 10:36:23 AM PDT
Tex says:
And Heavy Rain on the PS3 is supposed to be pretty good too.

Posted on Jun 17, 2010 3:27:46 PM PDT
What about Silent Hill: Shattered Memories?

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 9:12:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2010 9:14:24 AM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
"Darkness Within 2: The Dark Lineage".
I had to import it, but it's creepy, has good puzzles, and is sporting a good full-3D first-person engine complete with physics. Kind of a cross between "The Pandora Directive" and the "Penumbra" games. 268 meg demo available thru Gamershell.

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 3:51:24 PM PDT
whatever says:
Fable is adventure isn't it? That one was good, just way too short.

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 4:52:41 PM PDT
Don't know which system you are talking about, however, the uncharted series on the PS3 is awesome and they are action/adventure games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 7:24:47 PM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
Well I for one have to completely disagree. If anything the last 2 years have seen the adventure genre rise from the grave. As C. Morelock wrote, we had the inception of Telltale games. This is basically a studio wgo specializes in adventure games. They already have a great selection of games. The revised editions of Monkey Island I & II (The greatest adventure series of all time imo), Sam and Max Beyond Time, Sam and Max Save the World, and Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures. Plus they have some amazing games coming out this year including Nelson Tethers Puzzle Agent, Jurassic Park, and Back to the Future.

Before Telltale games was started adventure gaming truly was dead but they have resurrected it from the grave big time. I am still hoping for a remake of Lucasarts The Dig but I really cant complain as again Adventure gaming was dead and now we have a very talented developer focused on making this style gaming available again and I for one could not be more pleased as I was, and still am, a DIE HARD adventure game fan. I have literally played all of them. The Police Quest series, The Space Quest series, The Kings Quest series, The Monkey Island series, The Dig, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, The Indiana Jones series, Beneath a Steel Sky, Quest for Glory, Gabriele Knight, Full Throttle Etc........

Nope, adventure gaming is certainly not dead. In fact, its more alive now that it has been in a very very long time. With the technology available today, its actually pretty easy and cost effective to make an adventure style game. It requires only a fraction of the staff required for the high end games we see today. I have no doubt that Telltale games will continue to do very well for themselves.

As for J.T. Wenting's comments, sorry but adventure gaming has not always been a niche market. In fact during the early Roberta Williams years, Adventure gaming was extremely successful and was nowhere close to being considered a niche market. Games like Maniac Mansion, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Monkey Island, Etc.. all sold huge numbers of copies. In fact they were some of the highest selling games of that time period. Eventually interest in the genre began to wane as ever increasingly complex games came to market. By the time we entered the 1990's, Adventure gaming was literally on its last leg and it wasn't until Telltale games opened its doors that the we saw a resurgence in the genre. Regardless of its outcome, Adventure gaming was BIG business back during those early years and calling it a niche market during that period of time is about as inaccurate a statement as one can possibly make.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 7:29:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2010 7:30:17 PM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
"Fable is adventure isn't it? That one was good, just way too short. "

I think the original poster is talking about the old school point and click adventure games like Kings Quest, Monkey Island Etc.. Yes technically Fable is considered an adventure game as the adventure genre has been expanded over the years to include those kinds of games. With that being said I think he was referring to that particular style of adventure game like Kings Quest and Monkey Island.

Posted on Jun 21, 2010 4:01:00 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2010 4:45:49 AM PDT
ĴĴ says:
L. FRANKISH

Have you tried the Nancy Drew Adventure game series? There are 21 (soon to be 22 games in it) in the series, and most of them are a lot of fun. I don't know if you are male or female, but these games aren't just for teen girls. Adults and guys also enjoy them.

Have you tried the Agatha Christie games? Now about half of the ones out right now are Hidden Object, but the rest are some challenging adventure games.

What about the Sherlock Holmes games? Really hard, once again, but they are some adventure games with a great story.

If you liked Dark Fall or the Scratches you might also like The Lost Crown or Barrow Hill: Curse of the Ancient Circle as these are games created by some of the same people.

Have you tried The Mysterious Journey as an adventure game? Now, this is one game that I have not played, but I've heard that it is good.

While pretty much no game has ever been up to the level of Myst as it was when it was released, there are still a lot of awesome adventure games that are worth giving a shot. But, no, I must disagree that adventure games are dead. They may not be as prominent as they used to be, but they are still alive and kicking.

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 1:18:31 PM PDT
Telltale Games+Jurassic Park+Back to the Future=win!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2010 5:00:38 PM PDT
Hi, I am an older (60) female, and years ago I really enjoyed the Laura Bow mystery games. You have a great command of the genre, care to recommend something? I have read science fiction since I was 12. If you don't have time, I will look into Telltale. Thanks

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 11:45:33 PM PDT
J. says:
As a HUGE fan of Adventure gaming myself, going back to basically the Gabriel Knight I era... I have very high hopes for the new Jane Jensen game, "Gray Matter." Look into it if you haven't already - I'm hoping for a return to the things I loved about Adventure gaming from the very beginning.

As far as the Myst clones go - my absolute favorite Myst-style game (Above Myst itself) was easily Zork Nemesis. So moody and atmospheric, and the puzzles were spot-on too. If you've never played it and have a computer that might be able to run (Or an emulator) a Win. 95 game, definitely see about finding a copy.

Posted on Jul 8, 2010 8:34:10 AM PDT
Try the 3 Runaway games - they are definitely 'old school' adventure, but brand new and the graphics are stunning.
Too Blonde also looks cool - havent tried it myself yet though.
Also, try Google: Adventure Game Studio. Its a set of tools that let you create your own old-school adventure games. There's quite a few pretty neat adventure games there, and they're all free too.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 12:54:11 PM PDT
L. Karafa says:
Arin t Uncharted 1 and 2 and the Assassin Creed games, Red Dead Redemption and all the GTA games all considered Adventure? If so i don't see those games dying anytime soon.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 9:59:41 PM PDT
J. says:
Nope, none of those games are adventure games. 'Adventure' by this definition generally had NO combat whatsoever (there were rare instances of 'combat' but nothing like how you'd think of it today), and was basically a mixture of attractive visuals (By the standards of the period), exploration, and problem/puzzle solving.

Myst, Zork, Phantasmagoria, Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island, King's Quest, Broken Sword, etc. Plus lots of others, some of which have already been mentioned above. The closest we usually get to a true adventure game in the last few generations are PC Budget titles like Scratches. The ones that were produced back when they were "popular" however, had much higher relative production values and were longer/more immersive experiences.

Posted on Jul 12, 2010 8:01:12 AM PDT
Dr Stupid says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 12:12:07 PM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
Neither Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, nor Dragon Age are adventure games. More like action-rpg or action-adventure (where "adventure" has simply been co-opted to describe more the plot/setting than the actual style of gameplay). Many of the concepts of what make an adventure game are borrowed in today's games -- for instance, the puzzles in a Zelda game or something like Darksiders -- definitely some adventure game elements there. Story plays a bigger role in today's games, and that's a staple of the adventure genre. And I think that's great. I like those things in a game. But, borrowing pieces doesn't necessarily make a game an "adventure game" and if you're not familiar with what a pure adventure game is, it's probably very hard to know the difference.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 1:29:44 PM PDT
Joshua Garry says:
Nope. There has also been a resurgence of indie point-and-click adventure games that have come out recently, such as "Ben There, Dan That", "Time Gentleman, Please!", and Machinarium. Adventure is back on the rise.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 3:13:57 PM PDT
Acts7 says:

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 4:28:27 AM PDT
Ok - lets clear the confusion here.
What L. Frankish was referring to is "Point-&-click" games. In the 80's & 90's these games were called "adventure games" or "quest" games.
In 2010 the term "Adventure games" is likely to include Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. and that genre is certainly not dead - But thats not what was being referred to here.

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 9:09:08 AM PDT
GamePlayer30 says:
Great free adventure(p & c) games
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Also, their non-free games are worth every penny.
http://www.himalayastudios.com/index.php

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 6:36:44 AM PDT
Machinarium is the best adventure game I've played in ages. My only complaint is that it's too short, but very well done.

The last truly epic adventure game I played was The Longest Journey. Probably my favorite one ever.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Adventure Games forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions