Customer Discussions > Adventure Games forum

Let's Face It, The Adventure Genre is Dead

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 67 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 28, 2010 5:05:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2010 1:39:01 AM PDT
Ted Riggs says:
I've never really been into this genre, although I have had some fun with Leisure Suit Larry games. After seeing some mentions for Machinarium here, I decided to try the demo. I was so blown away that I purchased it the very next day. I've also gotten ahold of Samorost 1 & 2, which were created by the same developer, and will be playing those next. I've seen quite a few titles of this genre mentioned here, but are there any recommendations for someone who now thinks Machinarium is one of the greatest games ever made? I love the feel of it and would really like to play another that is similar, if there is a similar game

By the way, I played a Monkey Island demo and was very bored by it, so I'm not interested in any games like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2010 1:00:06 PM PDT
rbtoab says:
Ditto what Ted says. Completely. I think Machinarium has ruined my enjoyment of games now because it sets the bar so high. Now we know what can be. So what else to play...???

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 1:01:56 PM PDT
rbtoab says:
Oh. & tried The Longest Journey. Not even close.

Posted on Aug 6, 2010 5:04:48 PM PDT
Ted Riggs says:
I thought the Submachine series was really good. I played all of the games. It'll only take a day or two to get through all of them and you can download them for free.
I've been playing Syberia and I like it a lot. I'd recommend it. I ordered The Longest Journey, so hopefully I'll like it as much as everyone else did. If not, I can still play Syberia 2. :)

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 5:17:25 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Also, what about DS games like Hotel Dusk and Another Code: Trace Memory. Those are pure adventure games.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 12:45:16 PM PDT
metheperson says:
the force unleashed and uncharted were really good games

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 10:02:09 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
Uncharted could have been a great adventure game, instead it's 1/3 great adventure and 2/3 mediocre 3rd person shooter. I had so much fun with the exploring and platforming but the shooting was such a chore that it stopped being fun every time pirates showed up....and even worse once the lame demon Spaniards showed up. true adventure games are indeed dead.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 8:16:35 PM PDT
@benjamin

Have you played uncharted 2? If not you really should check it out. It is a fantastic game and a lot of the problems from the original were fixed. The gun battles in the sequel are a lot better. There are less waves of enemies and enemies don't have to be shot 10 times to die. I like the first uncharted but do agree the gun battles grew old which is why I am glad they fixed that problem with uncharted 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 5:58:20 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
I haven't played it yet, I was so turned off by the last third (maybe even half) of Drake's Fortune that I haven't really been interested. Honestly, my big problem with the shooting wasn't just the excessive waves of repeat enemies or how long they took to kill, head shots were pretty easy for the most part. My big problem was that there was no radar and Nate turned slower than molasses while aiming, I would always wind up getting shot in the back after fighting pirates for 10 minutes only to start over again...and again...and again. I loved the story of Uncharted so I had to finish the game. It just left a bad taste in my mouth to know that there was such a mediocre game beneath such a gorgeous exterior. Glad to hear that they did something about it for the sequel. I'm sure that I will check out U2 eventually, just not on top of the stack at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 9:56:08 AM PDT
Reuben Roa says:
lol dang this is putting a damper on one of my favorite games. I love uncharted 2 but loved 1 almost equally. I admit scrolling from target to target was a little slow and it was better to go back to cover then come out of it, but I still felt it was one of the best. And if uncharted doesnt qualify as adventure then what the heck does? lol

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 7:42:15 AM PDT
Esgaldil says:
Again, it is not an insult to say that Uncharted is not an Adventure Game in the sense meant by the original poster, just as it is not an insult to say that Metroid is not a Pinball Game. The Adventure Game as defined here is a very specific and narrow category made famous by the text game sometimes called Colossal Cave Adventure.

One game that inhabits a kind of gray area for me would be Ico on the PlayStation 2. It is an unhurried, beautiful puzzle platformer, and could be considered an Adventure Game in spirit, due to its lack of combat, intricate puzzles fully integrated into the architecture and story, and overall pacing and feel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 10:53:46 AM PDT
What about Quest for Glory? Those can be considered Adventure games, but also had an rpg element in them - they had classes you could chose from after all and fighting to do.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 4:15:39 PM PDT
My favorite adventure games (of the old definition) are Riven (the sequel to Myst), Spellbreaker, Zork II, Monkey Island(s), Grim Fandango and "The Space Bar". These games had challenging puzzles (especially Spellbreaker, Zork II and The Space Bar, my goodness). I liked Machinarium too...although it was too short. I think games these days have been dumbed down a bit too much. Games are marketed to people who want eye candy and instant gratification. For the record I was a bit disappointed in Syberia. The Longest Journey was pretty good too.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 12:03:39 PM PDT
I used to play Doom. Has anyone know of a game similer to this game

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 4:55:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2010 4:57:52 PM PDT
There a bit old but if you haven't played them I would check out the Syberia games. They are really beautiful and have good stories and puzzles. NO COMBAT. You can get them from Big Fish for next to nothing. Also check out the Nostradamas: the last prophecy from big fish as well, it is a pretty good adventure style game. I too have recently become addicted to the Hidden Object games though I find shockingly few are any good. A few exceptions not mentioned above are: the midnight mysteries series is pretty good, Skymist is really interesting as it is the only 3D modeled hidden object game I have ever seen, Blood Oath's not bad, A gypsy's tale the tower of secrets is nice and long, the puppet show games are good and have some really cool creepy imagery, the mystery of the crystal portal games are decent, and I think one of my personal favorites is Deadtime Stories. All of these are available on Big Fish.com. I agree with some of the other posters that agdinteractive.com is an awesome place. They have remade some of the older adventure games that you can have for free, like quest for glory 2 one that was never updated to point and click by sierra. Also a cool place to go is adventure game studio they have many games that were done by hobbyist game designers and some of them are really pretty good. If you have some programing/action scripting knowledge you can even use the ags program to make your own game.

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 4:57:45 PM PDT
Ted Riggs says:
I agree with the recommendation(s) for Syberia. I recently finished the first one and thought it was excellent. I purchased 1 and 2 and will be looking forward to playing the second one when I'm ready for another break from my PS3. :P

Posted on Sep 3, 2010 5:50:05 PM PDT
L. Frankish says:
Me again. Thanks for all of your contributions. I just got my hands on a copy of Rhem 4, and I am in hog heaven. Pure adventure gaming (at least as I understand the term) at its best. There is no story to speak of, just puzzles upon puzzles upon puzzles. Although Rhem 4 is an extreme case, I guess what I mean by adventure games are logical puzzles with a decent story, with no battles or strategy. I have tried most of the suggestions given above, since most are several years old at this point. I'm still looking for the next good fix. I will savor RHEM 4 while I can, as I still think there is next to nothing on the horizan.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 7:22:28 AM PDT
Gaming Mom says:
I found a lot of good point and click adventure games on a website called Legacy Games (Jack Keane, the Ankh series, A Vampyre Story, Dracula 2, Syberia, Murder in the Abbey, Memento Mori, Still Life, etc.). Those aren't the "casual" hidden object variety, although the sight does have HOGs, too. Most of those games are made within the last 5 years, but feel like 90s games (with better graphics). Here's a link to their adventure section: http://www.legacygames.com/download_games/subgenre/37/adventure

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 1:27:59 AM PDT
J. says:
G. Gonsalves -

The Adventure genre was definitely not defined by "Point and Click" - I can see what you're getting at, but when the progenitors of the genre were Text-Based, I can't agree with the spirit of it. Anyone who's played these games knows exactly what they think of as an "Adventure" game, but defining it to those who hasn't is like trying to hold onto one of those old water-baloon toys. It just seems to slip away.

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 2:24:51 AM PDT
I miss the Infocom games from the ancient era of text-based adventure games. You could literally do anything you wanted to. Now you are limited to scripted interactions, usually in the form of one positive response and one negative response. Now is as good a time for my biggest video-game pet peeve - developers saying there game is great because of the detailed graphics but leaving out the part that you can finish the game in 10 hours. I would rather play a game with 200 hours of story than 200 individually animated hairs in the fat sweaty guy's mustache when I am buying a health potion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2010 11:23:28 AM PDT
The Monkey Island series is the best of all games of all genres. It gives me hope for video games.

Adventure gaming is not dead.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 7:25:04 PM PDT
Truthbard says:
For those looking for adventure games:

Go to this link (http://www.justadventure.com/Game_Reviews/Main_Index/MainIndex.shtm) and sift through his reviews for games released in the past few years (particularly in his "Independent Developers" section). This guy is firmly lockstep in loving good, solid point'n'click adventure, and he reviews them exhaustively. For anyone who loved the old style adventure games, this is a great site to learn about new ones (and even read reviews for older ones you may have missed).

Myst and Gabriel Knight are in his hall of fame, so that gives you a good idea from where he approaches a game review. :)

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 3:42:20 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Telltale Games is making Back to the Future game right now, with Christopher Lloyd returning as Doc Brown.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69476&offset=20

Posted on Oct 24, 2010 8:41:34 PM PDT
The platform does change. Lately, I've bought many adventure games for my Nintendo DS - they have all been excellent. Japanese adventure games for the DS like Hotel Dusk and Again are as good as anything ever put out. The PC for gaming as a whole is way down from its glory years. I've been averaging only 2 PC adventure games a year for about 5 years now. The publisher of these changes - from Dreamcatcher to City Interactive to Mumbo Jumbo now.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 7:35:30 AM PDT
A. Ocasio says:
I disagree. Go play Darksiders and you'll be pleasantly blown away.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Adventure Games forum (25 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Adventure Games forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions