Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Amazon VOD on iPhone or iPad?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2010 10:20:13 AM PST
Is Amazon developing an app for the iPhone or iPad to use Amazon VOD? I'm suprised they have not done or announced this already.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 2:26:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2010 2:27:18 AM PST
C. O'Connor says:
I called a while back because I have more videos with Amazon than Itunes (less issues viewing). They said not likely; besides, Apple isn't going to let its competitor show videos on its device. Very Sad.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 8:42:08 PM PST
>> besides, Apple isn't going to let its competitor show videos on its device. Very Sad.

Sure Apple would. Netflix already said they are coming eventually and Hulu said they're interested in adding iPhone / iPad support as part of their premium service when it launches. All Amazon has to do is write an app for it. Problem is that Amazon VOD currently uses flash. They need to move to QT or HTML5.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 9:09:08 AM PDT
K. Pai says:
You are not really right there, neither Hulu or Netflix compete directly with the iTunes store. Netflix is a subscription provider which doesn't have the latest content and Hulu makes money of advertising. Apple, or for that matter, Microsoft , don't allow VOD on their device's because they compete directly with their respective offerings.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 11:06:02 PM PDT
T. Whiting says:
"Apple isn't going to let its competitor show videos on its device. Very Sad."
By law, Apple has no choice but to do so. They can make it hard as hell for them to do so (and would), but by law, Apple can not deny them. This is why there was so much of an issue with google, it's voip product and the iphone/apple.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 10:49:38 AM PDT
EMSERR says:
Actually they don't if they wait long enough. Adobe is building full support for converting flash programs directly into iPhone/iPad Apps in CS5, which will be out later this year. Apple says (at least for the moment) that they will allow it. I suspect Amazon may take advantage of this because they won't have to convert everything over, only make a few tweaks.

Posted on Apr 5, 2010 12:37:25 PM PDT
>> Apple, or for that matter, Microsoft, don't allow VOD on their device's because they compete directly with their respective offerings.

That is completely not true. Amazon just needs to get a application written to do VOD. They've already done a Kindle app (which competes with Apples iBook) for iPhone and iPad, but we really need a Amazon VOD app. Netflix already launched their iPad app as well. Very nice.

Posted on May 21, 2010 7:43:49 PM PDT
epb says:
Yes, Amazon could do this if they wanted, just like Netflix. You wouldn't be able to stream via the web site because of flash, but the video itself is the correct format for viewing on an iPod or iPad. They just need an app to port it. I really hope they do because VOD is much better than iTunes in terms of pricing and usability.

Posted on May 24, 2010 7:01:31 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 24, 2010 9:35:22 PM PDT
C. D. Norris says:
It most likely has to do with the video rights. If you buy a music album from Amzon on demand, you can load it onto itunes, but you can't load the videos the same way. My guess would have to be the movie rights that they buy for the UBox....I have bought some videos from Amazon that say you only have so long to download them to a computer or a device before they are unavaliable on demand. Avatar is this way. IN adition, you only get two downloads. You can"t move those downloads around like you can itunes, thus, they have more control over the movieright.....u can't burn Amazon Ubox videos onto disk....u can burn itunes onto disks serveral times. Also, you can't burn any of the other ones either, such as Netflix and hulu. Everything I buy on demad gets loaded into a portible harddrive....that way can watch it where ever when ever with my Dell mini.

Posted on May 26, 2010 11:37:37 PM PDT
epb says:
Here's the bottom line: I've spent over $1000 with VOD in the past year alone and I haven't spent a DIME with them since getting my iPad. With over a million of these sold already, a lot of users must be in the predicament - Amazon's just throwing away revenue. It's not a rights or competition issue. I've already purchased the rights to the videos I have (about a terabyte); I'm just looking to view them on a new portable device, a usage Amazon already supports with other devices, and the Kindle app shows they know iPads are a significant part of the market. (I've already bought more books via Kindle than iTunes). With millions of iPhones and over a million iPads already sold, I can't be the only customer that's had to drop Amazon VOD due to lack of an app. Are they seriously willing to lose this much revenue?

Posted on May 29, 2010 1:05:48 PM PDT
Cuvtixo says:
I thought Amazon VOD uses Flash technology, doesn't it!?!? And iPad doesn't support Flash. Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight technology.

Posted on May 29, 2010 3:13:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2010 5:09:58 PM PDT
epb says:
Almost everyone uses Flash on their web sites, but the video content itself isn't Flash, that just provides the software for viewing be content. Almost all of the tv networks use Flash sites but came up with non-flash apps for viewing their videos on iPads and iPods. Amazon simply needs an app for accessing their video content, like everyone else.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 1:12:01 AM PST
Susan Dutson says:
I just signed up for Amazon Prime for the streaming videos. Providing an iPad app for Amazon VOD would contribute greatly to my decision to keep it after the one month free trial.

If Amazon is going to compete with Netflix, I think this is the next logical step. The iPad Kindle app is gorgeous, now let's have a VOD app.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2011 1:26:51 PM PST
I 2nd this, already have Prime just for shopping/shipping and I would love to see an Amazon VOD app on the iPad. Don't much care for an iPhone/iPod app, but a native iPad app would be awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 6:58:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 26, 2011 5:15:26 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 7:10:59 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
I have had no luck what so ever using my Android devices with Amazon VOD. Though Froyo on up is THEORETICALLY Flash-capable, I have yet to get VOD working on my several Android devices. I've spent hours tweaking and so far seen not a single video.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 7:37:57 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
And this is EXACTLY why we need to fight for less restrictive IP laws. It IS a rights issue, because currently rights holders like movie studios and record labels believe you should have to pay for each device you wish to play given content on. That is, you DON'T buy content, you LICENSE it. And, indeed, content from Amazon VOD is never really purchased. When you click "BUY" you then click a license agreement, probably without ever reading it, that spells out what rights you have. And this includes downloading to 2 computers and 2 portable devices, and streaming rights, which you can lose if Amazon loses the right to stream it.

If you don't like it, support the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the Creative Commons.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 7:47:11 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
Flash does suck. That's what Apple's been saying all along. Google supports flash on Android, but even they believe HTML5 is a better answer. It's stretching the point suggesting that Android sucks, though. Android does many things very well, as does iOS.

Posted on May 8, 2011 11:12:05 PM PDT
Just curious, but what are we all going to do with all our VOD when our ISPs, such as Comcast, decided to limit how much bandwidth or GB's they will allow us to use, no matter how much we pay? See discussion Internet Providers Streaming & Downloading Limitations for more info.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 9:52:41 AM PDT
mattgriffin says:
For anyone still following this conversation, I've had some success with Skyfire, which is an ios browser that transcodes flash video on the fly and delivers it to your iOS device as h.264. The quality is lowered, but it does work if you are looking for a way to view Amazon VOD on an iPhone.

Posted on Sep 26, 2011 7:36:36 PM PDT
Tierra says:
Amazon ... get off your arse. Strike while the iron is hot. Netflix is wavering.

Get your customers what they want. VoD ... on Wii, iPad, iPhone, etc ... NOW!!!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:52:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2011 1:52:57 PM PDT
Yes iPhone and PS3, get with the times! LOL, I am old and I tell you this.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:38:11 PM PDT
David Hansen says:
I would almost bet Amazon makes an HTML 5 like interface, similar to that of the cloud reader, for their Amazon VOD content. That can be accessed from any device.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 2:46:25 AM PDT
Orcasaurus says:
Need to use my iPad to watch movies on amazon. Quite a blunder to find moan has blocked all iPad users from amazon movies. Why did I upgrade my free student account six months early?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum (1003 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  48
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2010
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions