Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Instant video player sucks compared to netflix

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 12:45:15 PM PDT
GT Man says:
I'm a long time Netflix user and I am writing to express my disappointment with amazon video. First it is much slower to load vs Netflix. I have a fast 20Mbps downstream. Second the interface is terrible. I cannot preview the fast forward (along the timeline) like I can with Netflix and I cannot skip to the next episode of a series without minimizing the screen then finding it on bottom. Finally, with Netflix, as soon as I logged in it remembered where I was an I can continue watching....no so with amazon.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:38:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 11:39:00 AM PST
MONKEY says:
yep agreed, it's absolutely horrid and never manages to keep decent connection regardless of my blazing fast internet :/

Only reason I use it at all is because I have free credits from buying a game or something like that.

doesn't even hold a candle to itunes rentals and purchases.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 2:29:11 PM PST
Eryanthus says:
I also don't like the lack of subtitles, but to their credit Amazon has many videos Netflix does not.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 3:01:09 AM PST
Tee Box says:
To those of you posting under this thread, you might also read the discussion labeled "constant buffering" in the discussion threads. More info on the problems that you are experiencing there.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:37 PM PST
Chris says:
I just ordered a season pass to a show and have been trying to watch an episode all evening. Shockwave keeps crashing and then when I close the browser and restart or just switch to another browser, Amazon keeps telling me that I need to stop watching on one of my devices in order to watch the video on the ONLY DEVICE I have running (and in a single browser no less). Thanks Amazon for locking down the video to make sure I couldn't steal extra simultaneous views before making sure watching video at all works in the first place. BAD EXPERIENCE.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:52:39 PM PST
UB Einstein says:
just got a 1 month subscription to Prime when we got our kindle and the instant video play back is horrible, stops, pauses, reboots, needless to say when free is over i wont pay for this

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 10:11:25 AM PST
M715 says:
I'd have to agree I also bought a season pass but have more or less given up trying to watch it because of all the problems; shockwave crash, slow to load, won't load, poor interface...

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 11:48:35 AM PST
elaina mc says:
Amazon website Prime streaming pages keep locking and has to be killed...

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 1:03:08 PM PDT
Lack of remembering where i am in a series is so frustrating! Worthless.

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:10:58 PM PDT
emers121 says:
Trying to watch for the third time in a week. The first 10-3- minutes is okay. Then, crash, boot, stop, go, rewind, no sound!! ARGH. So frustrating!!!

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 3:48:23 AM PDT
M715 says:
Still having problems here, I will NOT be buying another season subscription until they have these problems resolved. Either the player crashs (in any browser) or the player not being able to buffer the show (everything else plays fine, netflix, hulu, etc.)...

Posted on Apr 15, 2013 7:49:08 AM PDT
use XBMC to stream Amazon videos. Plays perfectly since it doesn't use flash garbage!

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 3:39:36 PM PDT
I agree -- the video player is horrible. Worst of any online video players I've ever used. The "pop-out" button does not work 95% of the time (the popped-up window never connects!), so I either have to watch through the default tiny gun slit or go full screen.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 6:06:15 PM PDT
JKDVT says:
Having the same problem on my MacBook pro with Safari and FF. My husband & dd have the old player and it works fine on their MBPs.

Feh. AMAZON, ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION????? Silverlight stinks. Give us something better for our money.

Posted on Aug 7, 2013 7:36:49 AM PDT
This has been going on for years. YEARS! And it never gets better. Flash or silverlight, doesn't matter, it all sucks. Contacting them does nothing, it's always the fault of something else, always.
If this ever separates from free shipping no one would ever pay for it. Netflix has nothing to worry about.

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 5:26:26 PM PDT
Chris T. says:
I use the one on my PS3, while the video is playing it works fine, however not have post-play like netfilx is quite irritating, also the interface is not as fluid as netflix, but since I have Amazon Prime anyway (for free shipping), it isn't too big a deal. I would not pay for it otherwise.

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 5:51:29 PM PDT
I can't get anything to play right now on prime instant videos, is anyone else having this problem?

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 7:54:09 PM PDT
JKDVT says:
Getting rid of silverlight worked a treat for me.

Posted on Sep 8, 2013 3:13:14 PM PDT
Jim in PA says:
Pop out payer does not work in Chrome or ever...help?

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 5:47:52 PM PDT
I would rank Amazon's video player one star higher than the quality of the initial roll-out of healthcare.gov. Amazing this issue isn't higher on their product road map because it is embarrassingly bad. Should have snoozed on the purchase of the Washington Post and fixed this first Mr. Bezos.

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 3:05:41 AM PST
Aleksey says:
The Silverlight player was decent compared to this Flash-based abomination they rolled out. It doesn't even keep an even framerate, it uses an inprecise timer of some kind. It switches between low-res and hi-res modes with every scene whenever there's a slight connection hiccup. It randomly STOPS PLAYING videos on a rock-solid Internet connection.

Don't get me started on encoding quality as well. I tried watching "Roadhouse", it SKIPS FRAMES. The first few seasons of Star Trek:TNG are letterboxed in 16:9 despite being 4:3. Later seasons aren't. There are artifacts in some encodings. Watching "Skyfall" is impossible because they didn't normalize the audio - the dialogue is whisper-quiet and explosions are BOMBASTIC.

Amazon clearly treats their video service as a bonus addition to Amazon Prime, nothing more. "Here's some crap our interns threw together, be thankful you got it, peasants."

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 8:06:03 AM PST
V. Beaubien says:
One of the reasons for my buying a Prime membership was to get streaming video, but I'm very disappointed in the download speed (not that there's very much free content there that actually interests me in the first place). I'll stick with Netflix and probably not waste any more time here. If the Kindle library doesn't hold my interest then I won't renew Prime at all.

As for the video quality, for the one I did manage to watch that was acceptable, popped out and sized appropriately for my monitor.

Posted on Mar 21, 2015 2:49:55 PM PDT
Gary Rubin says:
I also bought prime, and although I like how I one-click order something and it shows up at my door very shortly after, I found that many of the "prime" qualified items are higher priced than items that are NOT prime, and some of the non-prime items have free shipping. Still though, the prime items show up fast to my door.

Then there is Amazon Video and my wife and I were disappointed straight away. We are frequent NetFlix viewers, and the Amazon client is nowhere CLOSE to the NetFlix client. We use both our PS3 and our Samsung smart TV. Navigation is a complete joke, and I would think that Amazon would be embarrassed putting out a viewer this clunky and limited. It reminds me of old video player clients where the public had not had the chance yet to feedback the authors on what they want, like versions 1.0. Either Amazon just never listened or they put database software authors who always go to the movies, in a room and told them to write a quick video viewing client.

In short? NetFlix gets it right, and Amazon gets it very wrong. And the "free" content you get with your Prime package is ridiculously limited. We are disgusted with the selection actually, although caught a bit of family laughter when my wife decided to waste an hour of her time looking at what we could watch for free. Some of these C- (or worse) movies had a brand name star or two that I'm sure they wish they were not credited in.

We will not be renewing, unless somehow over the next several months of 2015 I find that getting what I one-click in a day or two is worth it.

Thanks just my 2-cents worth. Hope I didn't step on or bruise any feelings.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions