Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

iPad App for Amazon VoD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 503 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2011 9:10:50 AM PST
Any chance we are going to see an iPad app for Amazon Video on Demand? That would really seal it for me, as for where I get my TV shows. I really do watch a fair amount of TV lying in bed with my iPad and I am sick of downloading and storing all of those iTunes store videos (and No, I don't want to rent TV shows - my family watches the same shows, but at different times).

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 9:52:17 PM PST
Not for at least awhile. As previous posts have stated, Amazon would need to create an app to support VOD without using Flash, and they haven't. I have a credit towards Amazon on demand, a feature I've never used, and will not use due to lack of support for Apple devices. They are throwing away lots of potential revenue.

Do you read these Amazon? I'd LIKE to give you more money, and you are preventing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2011 6:37:07 PM PST
MrBoxhead42 says:
There is an app called PlayOn, which is universal to iPhone/iPad. PlayOn is a server that you download on your PC and it streams to your idevices. Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon VOD, CBS, Comedy Central, TBS, ESPN, and CNN are just some of the networks that participate. But there is a price, $39.00 first yr , then $19.00 each year after. There is also an option to pay for a lifetime/one time only of $79.00. I caught it on sale for $59.00 for lifetime. It works fairly well. The only problem I have had is sometimes it can't find my pc. Usually my LAN IP changed somehow. But other than that, I enjoy it.

Posted on Feb 16, 2011 9:01:47 PM PST
Please make this happen, Amazon.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 9:47:20 AM PST
As many IPad and IPhone users out there that buy from amazon and the don't make it so all those users can watch it on there devices lol what a joke

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 4:19:05 PM PST
Frank Glaush says:
Need iPad app!

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 1:15:53 AM PST
Susan Dutson says:
With the new Amazon Prime program, an iPad app is needed more than ever. If Netflix can do it, Amazon can do it.

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 7:56:35 AM PST
J.A. Henson says:
Absolutely need an iPhone/iPad app. I'm in the Prime trial period and like it, but I'm not continuing membership for something I am only able to watch at home...

Posted on Feb 23, 2011 8:17:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2011 8:19:50 AM PST
I don't believe VoD is a real priority for Amazon.

They haven't updated their PC app for a long time (years?), they have no native player for the Mac and the Flash equivalents are limited in not being able to playback Dolby Digital audio (which makes this solution a non-starter for TV connected computers or things like Google TV).

In addition, Amazon has stumbled porting their player app to Blu-Ray and TV devices. In particular with Samsung, although this could also be because of Vudu's presence on these same devices (Google for details...). Similarly, I've had problems with the player on my Sony Blu-Ray player, as have others (Google for more...).

Once I pulled the plug on cable TV and I discontinued the TiVo service, I sort of lost my great playback experience for Amazon VoD. The Blu-Ray player app is a disappointment, to say the least.

Once Vudu released a PS3 version, I was blown away by the video/audio quality of the movies (again, I don't work for Vudu or anyone else in this industry), so that's my choice for the occasional rental movies (new releases). And for TV shows, a combination of Hulu+ and Netflix (again, with the best players on the PS3), I am pretty well covered.

Oh, yeah... and Netflix and Hulu+ players are also on the iPad. So far, no iPad app for Vudu (except for catalog search).

However, if Amazon were to build a strong iPad app, they could really become a contender again, since Amazon has a deeper catalog than both Vudu and iTunes (and Netflix and Hulu), but I fear that history has proven that they are either uninterested or incapable of delivering effective playback software for a variety of devices. And, the Android tablets will be nipping at the heals of iPad in the very near future, so that's coming their way next.

Finally, since I am venting... their Amazon Prime offer was a last gasp to stem the tide of defections to other services; I'm sure they are feeling the pinch from Netflix. I mean, 5,000 titles? Really, that's supposed to entice me to sign up for Prime. Did you look at the list of titles in the list of 5,000?

Good Luck, Amazon...

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 5:07:22 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 9:46:34 AM PST
Amazon Instant Video › Prime Eligible

Showing 1 - 24 of 2,185 Results

That isn't even half. Very odd.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 10:37:10 AM PST
iwonder says:
Yeah, without support for iPads, use it. I've got netflix, but was hoping this would work.
:-(

Posted on Mar 1, 2011 7:16:04 AM PST
epb says:
You can pretty much forget an iPad/iPhone app from Amazon. Apple is now requiring all apps offer the option of buying content via the App store (where they'll take a 30% cut) as well as via the seller's web site, on the rationale it's more convenient for the customer (translation: most people will be too lazy to switch out). For subscription content like Hulu and Netflix, this is no issue since it's all included in a one time fee. For purchased content like Amazon Video On Demand or Kindle e-books, it means giving Apple a 30% cut of everything you sell simply because the customer has an iDevice. While people rave about how large the iPad user base is, and clearly Apple thinks this gives them some muscle, the truth is we're a small chunk of the available overall computer user-base; it would be smarter for Amazon to drop support for the iPad Kindle app and skip doing a VOD app.

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 6:08:17 AM PST
K. Kuhar says:
Can't amazon just make their video player HTML5 compatible? Wouldnt that solve the iPad issue?

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 1:48:19 PM PDT
Dan Phillips says:
I desperately want IOS support in terms of an app or HTML5

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 9:08:26 PM PDT
J. P. Smith says:
Lack of a VOD app for iOS devices may have more to do with Apple then with Amazon. Apple has notoriously been keen to reject apps that "duplicate functionality" of stock iOS apps. Amazon VOD would essentially duplicate the functionality of Apples iTunes store.
What is more perplexing is why Amazon has not released a dedicated VOD app for Android. With the Amazon App store now live, it would seem like a no-brainer. Android still doesn't have decent access to affordable video content... not withstanding the Blockbuster Video app. Nothing like iTunes or Netflix releases and running "in the wild."
I certainly don't think that we'll see any dedicated iOS VOD app until something has been released for Android. An app for Android would be relatively simple for Amazon to roll out since watching Amazon VOD with flash in the Android browser works relatively okay... I watched a movie on my Moto Xoom today over 3G. A few hickups at the very beginning until the stream normalized as it recognized the bandwidth constraints, but after the first 30 seconds it streamed just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 11:23:33 PM PDT
B. Marvel says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 18, 2011 4:22:02 PM PDT
Andrew says:
Yes, an iPad app for Amazon Prime might just keep me beyond the "trial period".

Posted on May 28, 2011 5:55:33 PM PDT
thegiftbox4u says:
Fully agreed! Just started my Amazon Prime trial and was absolutely shocked to see they've no method of viewing VOD on any iDevice.

As another commenter mentioned, the way around having to pay Apple's 30% per extortion fee is to make the video portion of the website HTML 5 compliant.

I'd pay for the prime membership in a heartbeat if I could watch all the VOD on my iPad from bed. If it mostly boils down to the shipping upgrades, I'm not sure I order frequently enough to justify the annual fee.

Come on Amazon! Please answer the pleas of all of your customers begging you for the capability of watching your streaming videos from their iPad!

Posted on May 31, 2011 5:21:37 PM PDT
I'd be stupidly happy if the VoD service offered PS3 support myself.

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 8:09:07 PM PDT
M. Dembski says:
Amazon, please come out with an app for viewing video on an iPad!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2011 10:35:55 PM PDT
You may be right about its low priority since I, and others like me, ordered Prime for the 2 day free shipping, not the streaming video. I have some fun with it, but it's just a "feature," not the mission.

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 10:37:35 PM PDT
Why can't Apple just support Flash? Problem solved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 9:33:52 AM PDT
John A says:
I agree - why can't Apple and Adobe figure out a way to get along? This problem has gone on way too long!

For a good Amazon VOD implementation other than Tivo check out the Roku. Forget Google TV and Apple TV - Roku did it first and still does it best.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2011 9:20:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2011 9:21:46 PM PDT
Because flash is a resource hog and kills your battery. It is adobe problem. HTML 5 player would fix everything. Amazon is building its own tablet. They are going to try to beat Apple at its own game. Buy content from it branded store from its branded devices. Not a bad idea. Less confusion for end users. I'll stick with the Apple iPad tho.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  303
Total posts:  503
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions