Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

1-click sucks Accidentally rented video, when I already have it on Prime.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 6:02:54 PM PDT
I don't want 1-click. I have it turned off.

But the button still appears on videos, even when I can watch it on my Prime account.

1-click is dumb, it is bad UI, and I can't find any way to cancel this accidental order.

Anyone else hate 1-click?

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 4:57:33 PM PDT
paulbk42 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 7:35:54 PM PDT
M. Eppes says:
This just happened to me as well. In my account it shows 1 click as being defaulted to off. But I didnt see the one click button as I was watching on my tablet and my thumb accidently hit the button.. If my account is set to OFF as default then it should be so for every page and area in amazon. i just wrote them a letter for an explanation and try to get my money back.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:20:32 PM PDT
Fauxfyr says:
Yes, it is Amazon's fault if the customer has 1-click turned off. Amazon has chosen to keep 1-click on by default for digital downloads, no matter what the customer specified settings. In my opinion, it is because there will be many people who accidentally order something and figure, "It's only $1.99, why make a fuss?". This will generate a lot of revenue for Amazon. It is not necessary to have 1-click for digital downloads from a programming point of view. You can put digital in a shopping cart just like everything else, or at the very least have a message that says "You are about to purchase X, do you want to continue?" like there used to be on Amazon. My daughter managed to purchase a digital item without even having my password, just the cookies enabled on the computer. (no, my password is not saved on her computer).

So yes, Amazon's fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 8:32:23 PM PDT
M. Eppes says:
Yep. They need to change that. I won't be using amazon instant video on my tablet anymore. Amazon should allow you to have to enter a pin for video one click just like on their streaming apps like the Roku. Amazon did give me my money back when I pointed out this "hidden" 1 click policy within instant video and how it overrides their own default programming in general account settings. So, Amazon lost me as a customer for 99% of my video watching. Will have to use google play if I need something Netflix doesn't offer.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 11:03:15 PM PDT
Amazon: please turn off the automatic 1-click settings for video. Or at least have a confirmation button when the button is accidentally pressed. I have 1-click settings turned off on my account so why is it showing up for video streaming? This is sneaky.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:23:12 AM PDT
Josh says:
paulbk42, Thanks for the helpful response. It adds a lot to discussion....

This is obviously a poor UI design. I'm not sure if it is malicious by design or just an oversight, but it needs to be changed. One wrong click can have you purchasing one episode or a $40 season of a show. When watching on a TV and using a wireless mouse, it is very easy to click the wrong button. I have sent emails to Amazon and talked to customer service about turning off one-click for instant videos, but they confirmed that it can't be turned off.
I guess it's my fault for using the Amazon instant video service, so I informed them that I will just stop using the instant streaming until they change the 1-click option. ...problem solved for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 10:42:50 PM PDT
paulbk42 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 4:21:51 AM PDT
dance leroc says:
One-click for MP3s sucks. Please revert to the old basket system or I'll take my business elsewhere!!!

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 8:13:01 PM PDT
Fabster says:
I AGREE --->Amazon: please turn off the automatic 1-click settings for video. Or at least have a confirmation button when the button is accidentally pressed. I have 1-click settings turned off on my account so why is it showing up for video streaming? This is sneaky.

My nephew was watching movie previews on my Kindle and accidentally pressed the 1-click button instead of play. Now I own an expensive movie neither I or the kid wanted to buy...
1-Click for Amazon Prime instant video must GO!!!

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:48:05 PM PDT
Agreed.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:36:26 PM PDT
Sergey says:
Just happened to me. Purchased the whole season for $21 when I can watch it for free with Prime. I have one-click disabled in my settings. I thought I pressed watch it now. I agree that this button should be disabled for free content.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:42:50 PM PDT
Matt says:
Agreed. It's pretty crazy that there doesn't seem to be any official mention of the fact that your personal 1-Click setting doesn't apply to Instant Video. At the very least, this link (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468628) should clarify.

As others have said, it's especially annoying that the 1-Click button is displayed for videos that are already free with Prime.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:49:16 PM PST
Sabrina says:
I've found one possible way to get around the one-click for VOD.

If you are using Firefox to access Amazon VOD content:
1. Install Adblock Plus
2. Do whatever you want with the default blocking rules - I don't care
3. Setup an additional custom filter
4. Set the following 2 rules:
amazon.com##div.avod-button.purchase
amazon.com##div#avod-multiple-purchase
5. These rules will only apply to Amazon.com domains and will hide the "1-Click" episode and season buttons as well as the "Buy Season" and "Buy selected episodes" buttons.

If you end up wanting to buy something, just disable the AdBlocker Plus addon for that page and reload it.

In your Firefox options select to NOT show the "Add-on Bar"

Standard Children Caveat - Don't let your kids see you do this or they will know how to get around it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:44:27 PM PST
Robert Beard says:
I agree. This is the stupidest thing ever. I do not want the ability to be able to purchase something from my computer without typing in a password. There is no way to turn this off.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:34:23 PM PST
This just happened to me too. I have one-click ordering turned off, but my daughter accidentally touched the "order entire season" while we were starting to watch The West Wing Season 5 Episode 1, which is free. The entire season costs $49.99. I immediately sent mail to Amazon and they canceled the purchase. However, I didn't like the tone of the form letter:

--------
I'm sorry to hear about the accidental purchase on your account with "The West Wing: The Complete Fifth Season"

Amazon Instant Videos aren't returnable after purchase.

However, because of the circumstances, I've made an exception and issued a refund in the amount of $49.99. (...)
--------

Here's what I would have preferred to see:

We are sorry that you had a poor experience while watching one of the Amazon Prime free videos. We are working at ensuring that this will not happen again. We are issuing a refund for your accidental purchase. We hope this experience will not discourage you from continuing to enjoy Amazon Prime Video. We are happy to have you as a customer.

It's not that hard, is it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:58:08 PM PST
Gail N. says:
It turns out there are multiple one click settings, one per address in fact. Not to mention digital one click and kindle one click which I think is required. If Amazon is going to be this intrusive into the purchasing methods made by its customers, they should have a master control to turn off all one click purchases. One click is not convenient, it is annoying and intrusive. It shows Amazon thinks its customers are lazy or stupid or both. Really outrageous. Thank you for starting this discussion.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 3:46:58 PM PST
mdr43190 says:
I returned the Kindle Fire HD that I bought to test out and got 7 Nexus 7 tablets instead. I too tried to turn off one click shopping but it didn't work. The charges started coming in and I could not stop it. I guess we should not have expected a top notch device coming from a retailer. High quality devices and interfaces come for high quality equipment manufacturers like Asus

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:45:10 PM PST
B. Stewart says:
Happened to me too. I got an email about purchasing something I did not purchase. Checked my 1-Click settings and it is set to OFF. Tested 1-Click link on another season to verify and yup, it purchased! I thought I was doing them a favor by looking into the issue, but according to this thread they know and don't care. This is probably a violation of their agreements with Visa/etc. since they are storing the 3 digit code with no confirmation or signature/password step and making purchases against our wishes.

Absolutely absurd. Will be removing all payment options from Amazon until they fix it.
Will issue a chargeback if they don't refund me.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 2:43:23 PM PST
KPN Mom says:
I gave my son a Kindle for Christmas with a gift card. We set up his Kindle and they wanted a credit card # so I put it in. Now I can't even figure out how to use the gift card because I CANNOT get the stupid 1-click off even after I DELETED my credit card. What the heck!!! And there's no assistance to figure out how. My son's account setting state that 1-click is turned off but when I go to the books - ITS STILL THERE! OMG Amazon figure it out.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:46:51 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 30, 2012 1:48:56 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 4:55:42 PM PST
B. Stewart says:
Amazon has missed out on 4 purchases in the last two weeks because I couldn't be bothered to add my payment information back in.

They got one purchase today because they were the only ones who had what I wanted. So I went through all the work of adding my address and payment information, placing my order, and then removing my address and payment information to protect myself from the one-click scam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 9:40:26 AM PST
You know, after my accidental 50-buck one click-purchase, I pledged to buy all my electronics from NewEgg at least for a while. But then for various reasons I kept going back to Amazon. I was quite annoyed, but ultimately I am not that keen on going against my own self-interest because of spite. I guess I am not sure that Amazon is able to correlate my online shopping choices with their UI design choices.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 12:16:41 PM PST
J. Frost says:
My wife accidentally ordered a season of a show (Fringe) we already get through Prime and after politely asking customer service if they could rectify the situation since it was a mistake they were more than happy to. They did tell me it is their stated policy to not give refunds though, but they have always been, to me at least, very good at making sure I remain happy.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 2:01:30 PM PST
font lover says:
I asked them for a refund - I got it back that day. the one click works great when you are watching shows on ROKU.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum (902 discussions)

ARRAY(0xa6c5d648)

This discussion

Participants:  68
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  23 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions