Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

PS3 says insufficient bandwidth every few min on 20mbps connection

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 302 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2012 10:04:39 PM PDT
Ron G says:
My connection speed is 20mbps on a wired internet connection. Netflix, Vudo, etc work fine on my ps3 but Amazon Instant video pauses every few min to display a message that there is insufficient bandwidth, do I want to continue. The buffering on this app clearly needs to be improved. Is there anyway to get this app working better?

Posted on May 29, 2012 12:24:51 PM PDT
Derek says:
I would also like to know the answer. I am having the same problem. I am taking a guess their servers can't handle the new load of customers since the ps3/xbox app.

Posted on May 29, 2012 6:37:10 PM PDT
EXV says:
I'm having the same issue on my PS3. When it works, the quality is much worse than a few weeks ago. I too have a 20mbps connection.

Posted on May 29, 2012 8:24:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 8:25:10 PM PDT
Derek says:
Message I got from Amazon Tech:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've had streaming Amazon Instant Videos on your PS3.

There was some PlayStation network maintenance around this period, because of which you were unable to stream the videos. I request you please try streaming the videos again.

You can also try the following troubleshooting steps :

Delete the Amazon Instant video app from your PS3 and reinstall it. To uninstall the Amazon Instant Video app, navigate the XMB to amazon instant video app press triangle
then it will give you option to remove. After removing the app please power cycle your PS3 by unplugging it for 30 seconds. Once you're done with these steps please reinstall the app from XMB.

----------------------------------

Hope that helps. It ran better tonight, but still got hung up from time to time.

Posted on May 30, 2012 12:55:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 12:56:45 AM PDT
Ron G says:
No change. Deleted the app and re-installed again. Amazon support told me to do the same thing. It doesn't work yesterday and didn't mention any maintenance.

Same problem, can't watch movies without the annoying warning. Support needs to realize that this is a real issue and tell the tech team instead of telling the users it's their issue and they need to reboot router, uninstall app and reinstall, etc. These "tricks" don't work. The software needs to be improved. As I mentioned I have a 20mbps connection and all my other streaming apps work fine. Amazon support pages say you only need 1.5mbps so I have enough. There is an issue with the software or the problem is on the server side streaming the videos either way Amazon techs need to look into it if you want this app to be successful.

Hopefully the developers can look into this issue and find the problem.

Posted on May 30, 2012 9:32:30 AM PDT
Derek says:
Agreed Ron. It is def. either on Amazon or Playstations servers. I have a 30mbps connection. I will give it a few more days and see if it gets better.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 6:11:14 PM PDT
RayRay78 says:
SAME Stinkin PROBLEM!!! its driving me nuts, Ive talked to their customer service department and they even tried to tell me the problem has been only minor...really! It takes nearly an hour and a half to watch a 45 min fringe episode with all the "buffering" and not enough bandwith messages. I'm on a 8mbps connection and no other service gives me this problem..

FIX THIS AMAZON!!!!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 3:56:30 PM PDT
Country Boy says:
I am having problems with the service on the PS3 as well. Although I don't think the symptoms are the same. Every time I back out of a video hangs the app up. The loading circle will spin, sometimes up to 10 minutes before going to the previous page. I don't have this problem on the Xbox 360 or the PC. I can watch full videos if I don't tamper with any speed controls. So it's not a total loss, just annoying.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 3:23:23 PM PDT
Another PS3 App user with a failed Amazon app. 16 meg connection and if I am lucky I get 20 seconds of video before it says "we sorry, but your bandwidth is to great for our poorly engineered application."

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:46:43 PM PDT
S. Falk says:
I too have this issue but here's the best part it works on 1 PS3 flawlessly (newer model without PS1 support) but the second PS3 I have (backwards compatible to PS1 model) locks up every 30-90 sec like clock work. I tried my wireless which has 8 MB and even a wired at 26 Mb and no luck. Seems that you really need to get all models tested because this in unbelieably bad. Never seen issues like this with any other serivce I have tried. Like I said 1 is great and one is not.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 5:18:48 PM PDT
R.W. says:
I have the same problem on my ps3. I have no problem streaming hd video from vudu, netflix, or playstation store. This is clearly a problem specific to amazon and needs to be fixed. This is the main reason I don't order movie from amazon even thou it cost $1 less for most movies than vudu. Vudu will get all my business until amazon can prove to me this is fixed.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 4:46:28 PM PDT
StaticFox says:
Same problem here. It's very frustrating. I've complained to Amazon 3 times in the past 4 weeks. Every time they tell me to delete it and reinstall it. Which works better for a short amount of time (seemingly), but then goes back to me having to push X for the "keep trying" every minute (literally, once a minute) to try to keep the (SD!!) video streaming on my 15 mbps connection....It's absurd.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 5:43:39 AM PDT
Derek says:
Almost a month later... and I am STILL having this problem. Unfortunately this program/streamer is useless on PS3. I am able to stream on other software except Amazon Prime. What a joke.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:52:06 AM PDT
Steve B says:
Same problem here with PS3 slim. 20 mbps down through Comcast Cable. No issues with Netflix or other heavy bandwidth tasks. Instant works fine in browser through Windows 7 and Linux.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:32:20 AM PDT
Ron G says:
I was hoping the latest update which was released a few days ago would help. I updated the app, tried a movie and had the issue right away. So I uninstalled and installed fresh. I had one movie play without issue then I tried another and it happened again. I tried a few more videos and they are all failing the same way. So looks like they did not fix the issue. I am also on a PS3 slim relatively new model so the post about it happening only on the old models seems incorrect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 1:08:37 PM PDT
Derek says:
I updated the v1.3. So far I am not having buffering issues. "knock on wood". I will continue to watch and see if the problem comes back again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 7:10:56 AM PDT
Derek says:
Scratch that, one day later and I am getting buffer errors again. WOW.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 8:45:01 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 7:37:24 AM PDT
StaticFox says:
Maybe you're confused with the Wii or maybe even the xbox... Because it's well known for being more reliable than the 360, and much more efficient. It's been a wonderful device for streaming whatever you please, whether it be via a personal media center from your home computer, or an additional app. Netflix, hulu, mlb live and even the psn store have been streaming HD video successfully and efficiently for years.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that even comes close to the streaming variety of the PS3 for media center devices. Amazon is simply struggling to fix a bug present in their current release. Even Amazon's app used to stream,beautifully but something was changed for the worse a patch or two ago. It happens. Now please leave while we use this thread to be constructive for the intent of helping Amazon's techs figure out what the issues are caused by.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 7:10:34 PM PDT
golfshoe11 says:
Same issue here with the PS3 and bandwidth issues on Amazon instant video....the service is useless. I am going to contact customer service and I suggest we all bug the hell out of them until they fix it or we all start asking for refunds on our prime memberships.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:32:57 AM PDT
Never had an issue on all my 3 xbox 360's hardware or streaming. I have the original (on wireless n adapter), Halo 3 edition (wired), and the new smaller 360 pro(wireless), also no issue on any of my laptops or PC's. I also have sony tv with amazon prime on it, its pretty slow and has frozen a few times, my both my bothers PS3 come up with some issues. So its either the amazon application or the PS3 or just Sony. The app works well on my Panasonic TV, no issues at all.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 12:49:05 PM PDT
Ron G says:
I suspect the bandwidth problem resides on their end. If there servers that are supporting the PS3 on their end are not able to handle the demand then perhaps they are not streaming out fast enough making the software on our end think our bandwidth is low. If the stream is coming in slow or choppy then the software wound't know the difference between issues with our connection and issues on Amazon's side. Of course this assumes that they are using different servers to serve ps3 vs PC, 360 etc since they all still seem to be working fine. That could be possible since they may use different technology to connect to PSN. Of course the issue could be in PSN itself but I doubt this since netflix, hulu etc are working fine.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:07:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 7:08:57 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:22:55 PM PDT
StaticFox says:
My dear friend JJ350, I am not trying to dictate this conversation, but merely hoping to keep it helpful (which means troll free). I'm sure your "gaming qualifications" are wonderful, and look great on your fancy forum resume, but I believe you're still confused with the difference between "facts" and your opinion, or even other people's opinions. Much like you said, there are thousands of variables from system to system and household to household, so no matter how many communities you may be apart of, most of them won't be much other than bantering (many will be frustrated xboxers trying to justify their monthly payments).

As almost nobody has trouble streaming netflix on their PS3, and only struggles with Amazon Prime, I fail to see how it's apparently the PS3 or PSN's fault. If you're looking for a chuckle, then type "netflix slow streaming" into google and see what the next few words it suggests are....Allow me to help: "Apple TV, Wii, 2012, Xbox" Hmmm...This seems counter intuitive to everything you've told me. I just don't know what to believe anymore....

anywho...for those of you who love your PS3 and all of it's beautiful HD streaming (despite what all the forums in the entire world say about it's speed) this is the latest I've heard from an Amazon rep:

Hi RJ,

I wanted to let you know that we are still working on the low bandwidth errors you've been receiving on your PS3.

We have been able to contact the PS3 development team and have been working with them to resolve the issue and really hope to have this resolved soon. At this point, there are a few things that are coming up that could potentially cause the issue so we're still trying to pin-point it and get it resolved.

Thanks so much for your continued patience. I'll be in contact again soon!
(July 4th)

This rep. has been kind enough to email me roughly once a week with an "update" (though the past 3 have been very similar in content). From now on, I'll post everything I hear from her in here.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 5:40:16 AM PDT
Derek says:
JJ350, leave. Your argument is pointless. There are a half dozen streaming apps that work perfectly fine via the PSN. This is a software issue.

StaticFox, please post any updates you get. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  177
Total posts:  302
Initial post:  May 28, 2012
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions