Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Need option to upgrade to HD version

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 28, 2009 3:37:13 PM PDT
Mike Zupan says:
I'd like to see the option to upgrade your standard definition Amazon Video on Demand purchases to the HD version.

I have several seasons of TV shows that I would gladly pay the difference between the standard def version and the HD version to upgrade. However, I would definitely *not* purchase the HD version of the same show at full price.

Posted on Jun 4, 2009 9:21:15 PM PDT
K. Peterson says:
Agreed! Movies too!

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 9:59:54 AM PDT
R. Pittman says:
I second this... This should have been an option from the get go.

Posted on Jun 14, 2009 10:26:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2009 8:18:33 AM PDT
David L. Lee says:
Sounds good to me. Amazon should let you rent movies and then give you an option asking if you want to buy the movie but only charge you the difference from the rental and full purchase. Good idea Mike Zupan. We should all use the feedback option and send them that message.

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 6:06:11 AM PDT
Gordon says:
This is a great idea. I have bought quite a few shows on amazon then they recently did the HD content and that kind of sucks....the biggestthign that sucks is you cant watch HD movies..just tv shows...in a way you get around buying a blue ray player..but not for movies. Id love to have all my supernatural or sara chonor chronicles in hd. Only the last few episodes are because thats when hd came out. Charge the difference and be done with it....we need to remeber that for the post part people dont take our orders...the computer system dows and it has no heart.

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 3:24:13 AM PDT
Yet another "me too" for an upgrade option. And, as another upgrade option - if I buy a handful of different episodes of season, I would like to be able to later "complete the set" to the full set of shows and get it at the "full season" discounted price, minus what I already paid.

Suppose the individual episodes are each, e.g., $2, but would have been $1.50 if I bought the whole season. I bought episodes 1, 6, and 20 (at $2 each). If I later decide I want the whole season, it should be offered to me at the price of (whatever the season costs) minus the $6 I already spent on 3 episodes. I.e., we shouldn't ever have to pay MORE than the season price to wind up with a full season.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 2:23:19 PM PST
J.M. says:
Wouldn't work since in theory, a rental and a purchase are technically two different licenses, and I know, what difference right? well, the movie studios says there is a difference.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 1:20:53 AM PST
Parka says:
Great idea.

Hope they implement this soon, especially for the movies.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 2:39:41 PM PST
oluwande says:
Kinda related to the OP. But I bought Hurt Locker and District 9 today on VOD...went home to watch it on my connected blu-ray but only the SD version is available....if I wanted to rent the HD version, I could for $4.99, but no link to purchase it. Called customer service and they told me that links to purchase HD movies are not available via PC links....you have to purchase it via your connected device (TV, Blu-Ray, Roku etc.)...new technology with bugs I guess. In any event, still unable to 'purchase' the HD version of those movies (or any as a matter of fact) via the devices or the web.

Has anyone ever purchased an HD version movie via VOD? Just curious.

Posted on Jan 12, 2010 3:41:01 PM PST
Slack says:
It would be nice, I hate getting a TV series and then they release it in HD a month later! If I had known I would have waited...

Posted on Jan 16, 2010 11:55:53 AM PST
Scott Jacobs says:
I've requested this via email. I own quite a few seasons of TV shows, most of which I'd upgrade to HD. But I'm probably a small minority not worth Amazon's time.

Posted on May 24, 2011 5:13:08 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 24, 2011 5:13:38 PM PDT]

Posted on May 24, 2011 10:11:36 PM PDT
T. Symons says:
I just accidentally purchased the non-HD version of Top Gear Season 16. I'm bummed about it, because I won't buy a duplicate version in HD, but I'd love to pay the difference for the HD version.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 10:14:26 AM PDT
Mooty J Baby says:
Contact CS using the yellow button on the right:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_T1_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=3757&qid=1306602821&sr=1-1

Posted on May 31, 2011 11:42:07 AM PDT
B. Bragg says:
As a content provider/producer I would love to make my product available in HD - At this point they just accept a DVD to master from.

The technology is there to upload at full resolution, 1080... Don't understand why they don't implement an "upload" option instead of sending a DVD through snail mail.

Posted on May 31, 2011 11:44:38 AM PDT
B. Bragg says:
As a content provider/producer I would love to make my product available in HD - At this point they just accept a DVD to master from.

The technology is there to upload at full resolution, 1080... Don't understand why they don't implement an "upload" option instead of sending a DVD through snail mail.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 10:04:47 AM PDT
Rose says:
+1

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:35:57 PM PDT
A. Gutierrez says:
I completely agree with the option to be able to upgrade to HD by paying the difference. I'm personally waiting on either Amazon or Apple to make this step, and they'll have a loyal customer in me. For now I have movies from both, but until that change or some other quality wins me over, I'll be holding off purchasing anymore movies or TV shows.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 12:36:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 23, 2012 8:06:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 12:45:45 AM PDT
Rob Lamog says:
+1 Would love to see an upgrade option.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:43:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:43:56 AM PST
Rob says:
If you purchased the SD version and would like to go to HD (prob within month of purchase), call up customer service and they'll refund your money and just make the HD version purchase. I did with walking dead and gentlemen refunded within 5 minutes...

But to add to this, an upgrade option would be money!

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:00:35 PM PST
Huehuehue says:
Damn it... I didn't realize I rented the SD of Harry Potter... I REALIZED 2 MINUTES IN... PLEASE ADD THE HD FEATURE TO UPGRADE OR REFUND PLEASE!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:12:12 PM PST
coleslaw says:
Just accidentally purchased sd versions of a bunch of movies by accident. Was refunded in like 30 seconds, via amazon chat (my preferred method of cs with amazon)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:35:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:36:43 PM PST
Being able to upgrade to HD would be great... However being able to get both the HD and standard version for one price would be great too.

Side Note: I just accidentally purchased an SD version of Finding Nemo. What's frustrating even more is that the HD versions can not be viewed on PCs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:50:28 AM PST
Robert says:
If you buy the Hd version you get the standard version as well.

"You can browse and purchase HD movies and HD TV shows in the Amazon Instant Video store on Amazon.com. We'll provide the standard definition of your TV shows in addition to the HD version, which will be available in Your Video Library."

I have bought HD movies, and this is true. Which is why I don't get why they haven't implemented an upgrade option yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=3750
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  35
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  May 28, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions