Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

iPad App for Amazon VoD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 503 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 12:37:06 PM PDT
Alan says:
Flash is a major CPU hog and buggy, do you really want an iPad that only lasts 3hous on batter? That is why there is no Flash.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 8:38:51 PM PDT
Joshua Weiss says:
Please get on the Apple TV and if they won't allow that, get an iPad app, and if they won't allow that, get an html5 that can be streamed in safari via airplay to an apple TV. Then I'll think about signing up, and not until then.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 9:37:19 PM PDT
SL Cole says:
It isn't Amazon's refusal to create an app for VOD on Apple Products. Apple does not support Flash on their devices. See: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

At some point, Apple may revise this position. Or Adobe may find a way to port Flash to Apple devices. Or third parties may find a way around the impasse. http://bit.ly/qFNvCI

In the meantime, it isn't fair to blame Amazon for preventing something that is blocked by the two entities on other side: Apple & Adobe. It might be more advantageous to complain to them and encourage them to put their differences aside and play nice with one another so their common customers aren't the ones who suffer. :-\

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 11:28:07 AM PDT
Chip says:
Must work for Roku. Roku players and remotes are crap. Continous resets, multiple button pushes and numerous error messages that are not valid make the device a loser. The good. It's the cheapest device for muli-service support.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 12:22:16 PM PDT
Unfortunately, you are wrong. Apple won't allow Flash because by allowing Flash they allow people to bypass the app store and they lose control over all of the potential revenue. Applications can and are developed in Flash all of the time. If Apple allowed Flash, then anybody could make their own web app store and cut Apple out of their share. Apple wants you to believe it's a performance and security issue, but it's really just greed and a big brother complex. I like my iPad and iPhone, they make great stuff, but they don't always tell it like it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 1:28:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2011 2:39:47 PM PDT
Alan says:
Sorry my conspiracy believing friend, as a developer who uses tuning tools on his development systems, I can tell you that using Flash on a system and then studying memory and cpu usage (for your own apps) if you use Flash and have some browser windows open, you will discover HORRIBLE cpu and memory, stack, heap and other system utilization problems, ALL related to Flash.

While I have no doubt that side benefit of maintaining control of development is welcome at Apple, that is NOT the principle reason.

I get so tired of this nonsense of people talking out their *ss just because they have an axe to grind.

Apple's first priority is and always has been quality, under Steve Jobs. He understands that THAT is how you can be sure of making money. Java and Flash-and Adobe products in general-are the worst things to happen to computers. Most viruses today, such as the one that just caused the successful attack vs RSA are all laid to blame at these sources. RSA, the worlds digital security leader, went down thanks to: TA DA: FLASH. Java is the next big offender after Adobe cruft. I'm sure Apple would love to terminate both from their systems, if they could. And I commend them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 2:27:38 PM PDT
BruceK says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 12:39:53 AM PDT
What is really, really annoying is that Amazon won't even let you push a video to your supported device. I own a bunch of Amazon videos, and I cannot download them to my Tivo from my iPad. It just gives me a ration of nonsense about my iPad not being supported. Once I'm in bed with my iPad and my Tivo in my room, I am unwilling to get up, but up my Mac, etc, just to push an owned video to my Tivo.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 5:33:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2011 5:47:17 AM PDT
Alan says:
>Celeste Suliin Burris says:
What is really, really annoying is that Amazon won't even let you push a video to your supported device. I own a bunch of Amazon videos, and I cannot download them to my Tivo from my iPad. <

This is not necessarily Amazon's fault. The movie studios want a license and therefor more money, for every kind of device that a movie is viewable on. Then they have a messed up set of rules as to when certain movies may be seen on what class of device, TV now, Computer later, mobile device at another time and streaming yet later, etc. (I don't say that's the order things are released in, I don't know the order, it's just an example-but I do believe that mobile devices come before TVs in the scheme-if you want to see a real mess, go look at how horribly inconsistent Hulu is. All the fault of the TV/Movie industry, Hulu certainly doesn't want things the way they are).

Greed in Hollywood, knows no limits, it's like getting between swine and their food.

If the TV and Movie studios had their way, you would have to pay them for every time you played a DVD you had already bought, with extra charges for each person watching with you, and there would be a full set of commercials on the DVD, just as there would be were you watching the TV Show or movie on network TV. Apple has this same problem, they get TV shows from some networks the day after broadcast, others a week or two weeks after, depending on both greed of the studio and preexisting contracts already in place with other distributors and the networks/studios. It's a quagmire.

The thing is, none of this stuff is obvious. The TV and Motion picture studios are a fraud that the same thing will happen to them as happened to the music industry when Apple became the biggest seller of music on planet earth (yes, that's actually true). Apple set the rules for selling, and that means the prices and the Music industry HATED it, even though they were making more money then ever and, largely thanks to Apple, they had done away with music piracy, Apple made it easer and cheap enough to get music legitimately than to try to pirate it-and it worked. But all the music industry cared about was that Apple wanted to sell all music at .99˘ per song but the music industry wanted new music to be $1.29. They fought for years to get this and Apple only gave in when they were able to get some other considerations in return for doing so. The movie and TV people are scared to death that Apple, or someone else, will get the same kind of power over them, and, so they strangle the entire digital distribution industry.

It's pathetic.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 8:53:27 AM PDT
Writing an HTML 5 streaming player is not that rough, and performance is good across the board. Amazon has done harder things.

The Netflix and hob apps demonstrate that apple does not reject this category of application, if amazon chooses a native app instead of HTML 5.

As far as why flash sucks so much battery, one presumes that it was not a priority for adobe before, and is now not worth doing because it is not clear that apple would trust them to get it right. This is a constant problem for vendors that do allow flash content - device or os changes can get out of sync.

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 3:43:17 PM PDT
Jake says:
Alan is right that Flash is a CPU hog and that it drains battery faster. I think his three hour battery life estimate is an exaggeration. I've used Flash on phones and other tablets, which ordinarily have less battery life than the iPad, yet I got well over three hours of battery life. Additionally, the latest version of Flash uses significantly less CPU resources and power if the video is optimized for it. Even if Alan's claims were completely true, when he asks "do you really want...", I respond, "yes, I'd like the CHOICE."

I'd prefer that Amazon have an HTML5 app for its Instant Videos, but I'd still like the iPad to have Flash for other video content all over the web and and web sites that use Flash for menus, etc. Now, it can be argued that using Flash for menus is poor web design, but it's pointless. The fact is that Flash exists all over the web and I can't access that content on the iPad. It's a daily source of frustration for me, as many of the sites that I frequent use Flash heavily.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 2:42:10 AM PDT
The second I can stream Amazon's library on my iPad, I will glady transfer money from my bank account into theirs.

Posted on Aug 31, 2011 5:49:54 AM PDT
This issue doesn't have anything to do with Flash/Adobe.
It has EVERYTHING to do with Amazon's soon-to-be-released tablets, and giving potential buyers one more reason to go with Amazon's devices over an iPad.

Jim

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2011 6:26:09 AM PDT
KERichardson says:
Get ready to make that transfer. Simply download either iSwifter or my favorite iPad browser, Photon, and you'll be streaming Amazon videos within minutes. Last night I watched Primeval eps free with my Amazon Prime membership. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2011 2:16:28 PM PDT
Imwaytoobusy says:
CPU HOG ? Seriously? Your phone/tablets have PLENTY of CPU to run flash these days.. The old CPU hog excuse doesn't work anymore.. And the main reason you don't see HTML5 is due to DRM / copy protection.

The reason you don't see Flash on the ipad/iphone has nothing to do with CPU, battery usage, or whatever steve jobs wants to blame it on. It does have everything to do with the fact that Applications developed using FLASH would bypass Apple's app store and Apple wouldn't be able to take their 30% off the top..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2011 6:13:22 AM PDT
tincha says:
I agree with you! I have been using VOD since it was supported on the Tivo and it's frustrating not to be able to see my VOD library on my Tivo. An iPad app would be perfect. I have requested it to Amazon customer service, but I'm not holding my breath since they are currently developing their own tablet to compete with the iPad.

Posted on Sep 4, 2011 10:44:23 PM PDT
Robert B. says:
The video Amazon streams has to be copy protected in order that people can't just use a youtube downloader plug-in on their browser and download the movies. Can that be done with HTML5?

Even if it can, honestly I'm not sure Amazon cares enough about playing ball and working around all Apple's little quirks like that, especially since they have been rumored to be prepping their own tablet. They might just want the VoD to be one of the perks of joining their ecosystem. They know people aren't going to give up their iPad for an Amazon Kindle tablet or whatever but at the price points that are being talked about, its quite conceivable that an iPad owner would own of their tabs too.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 4:39:54 PM PDT
Purcy says:
You all need to switch to the Blackberry Playbook, I have been enjoying all of my amazon Prime instant movies and TV on the playbook, streams flawlessly and the HD videos will knock your socks off. Yep, the Playbooks has flash support.

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 12:16:24 AM PDT
I am not concerned that Amazon VOD is not yet available on iPad yet. I'm sure it's something they are working on either as a webapp or via itunes appstore with a whispersync-like mechanism to bypass the in store payment. There are way too many customers who are using iOS devices and it would be a highly profitable move on the company to include them in their focus for video rentals, purchases and instant streaming.

Major companies like Hulu and Netflix who started out with flash are now on iOS devices. Give Amazon some more time and I'm certain it will be available sometime in the near future.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 2:46:00 PM PDT
i have a android tablet which supports flash and we still dont have a amazon VOD app.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 9:52:51 PM PDT
You'll have to learn some phone and tablet diversity. The newer android tablets and phones have no problem running flash along other tasks. The iPad 2 with its dual core processor definitely has more than enough juice to run flash and then some. It's no longer about tech specs now. It's all politics between Steve Jobs and Adobe.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 9:49:17 AM PDT
Tom Tom says:
I am sorry to find out today, as I look to cancel netflix, that Amazon streaming is not supported on ipad/iphone, wd live, or seemingly tivo.

I'm sure I'm not the only prime member looking to jump the crazy ship that netflix has become. But to compete amzn need to support the devices...

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 10:50:42 AM PDT
Winn C. says:
Amazon, I'll ditch Netflix and get a Prime membership for VoD the same day you make an app for the iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 12:31:11 PM PDT
Jeremy Graef says:
Found these posts because I was thinking about the same thing...

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 1:33:32 PM PDT
I just bought iSWIFTER in the iTunes Store for $4.99. This App Plays the Instant Movies from Amazon Prime. A little jerky but sound is perfect. Jerk seems to smooth out after a while. I still see it as a miracle that I can walk around with a Magazine thin Television in my hand. I will test if this set up will upload thru Airplay to Apple TV and post an update here.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum

This discussion

Participants:  303
Total posts:  503
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions