Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Viewing limit reached

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2012 2:27:31 PM PDT
H. Thomson says:
I have been getting a message saying that my viewing limit has been reached whenever I try to watch one of my prime videos. Thing is, I don't have any other devices logged into my account!

Posted on Sep 11, 2012 8:20:24 PM PDT
sdumouchel says:
I have been having the same problem. Along with this...my videos started freezing 24 seconds in...after spending a little time on google, it seems like the freezing issue is related to a flash update for Chrome...not sure what to do to fix it though; hopefully Amazon will fix it directly.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 8:08:04 PM PST
A. Brannan says:
I am also having this problem (with my Prime Instant Video acount) and would love to find a solution. My computer tells me that my online viewing limit has been reached - i.e.,, I have two or more devices viewing videos. However, I only have one device connected. I restarted my computer, deleted cookies, and don't have any other devices logged into my Amazon Prime account.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:23:51 PM PST
Same issue here. I do have my iPad, but that will only play about 30 seconds then it freezes/continues/freezes. Chrome crashes. Restarting has done nothing either. Was working just fine yesterday. How frustrating.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 10:49:46 PM PST
DynomiteWins says:
Any updates at all to this? Same problem here. It's happened a few times in the last month or so.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:47:36 PM PST
Jim says:
Same problem...getting very frustrated.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:54:24 PM PST
Jennifer Ely says:
same issue here. physically logged out and shut down every device except two kindle fires and can only stream on one

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:58:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:59:59 AM PST
Stefan Cupka says:
Try clearing your Cache, and the "Pulgins, Cookies and other Site Data". It worked for me in Chrome!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:33:21 AM PST
Cloud-spear says:
I am becoming furious with this service for this error. Why does it keep doing this? I have no other videos playing. I can't believe I paid for this!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:25:53 AM PST
Stefan Cupka says:
Hey, have you tried clearing your cookies and plugins? My belief is that Amazon uses cookies placed on each browser to track how many videos you're watching. I think, that when you go directly from one video to the next, without fully playing it through (I never watch the credits), that it thinks that you're still watching the other video. So if you clear your cookies and other browsing data, it resets that cookie. Try it. :-) It can't hurt any worse than destroying your machine. LoL.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 5:54:25 AM PST
Matt Dunn says:
The problem is if I am out and about or not near my main computer I cannot clear the cache to release the hold. When it first happened to me I had to go back into my office to "turn off" the paused movie, clear my cache, and then wait a few minutes before I continued finishing the movie on my laptop... definitely not as user friendly as the main TV providers where you can pause in one room and pick it up in another...

They need to implement something like Adobe does with their creative cloud and warn you, but then let you deactivate the other streams (remotely). I am assuming it is only yelling at me because of my ID and not that my wife is watching something and I am (i.e. I can watch 2 streams with my ID).

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 5:47:53 PM PST
Stefan Cupka says:
@Amazon: Please implement a link in the dialogue box, that allows us to see, and control who is watching videos on our account. Matt Dunn is correct, it is definitely a weak point in the otherwise very helpful and efficient UI.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:00:56 PM PST
QuesoLoco says:
same problem.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:12:26 PM PST
Will Curry says:
I'm also having this problem. I believe I have one paused show on a remote computer, but there's no way for me to kick that client off. Still I should be able to watch a second video.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:58:10 PM PST
Amazon's streaming experience is far below anyone else's offered and when my free month is over so am I with them.......

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:55:30 PM PST
Buyer00 says:
Same problem with me

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:27:39 PM PST
Yes, same problem. Shockwave Flash keeps crashing in Chrome so I try to watch in Firefox and then it says I am still watching on another computer even though I logged out of Amazon on Chrome. I still can't get it to play in Firefox even after clearing my cache, plugins, cookies, etc. This is seriously annoying.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:22:27 PM PST
Doc Landis says:
I agree. It seems they have a problem both with the viewing limit issue, and with the false flash update requirement. It would be great if Amazon would respond to us in these forums.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 7:52:31 PM PST
Kathryn says:
Yes it would be nice if they would respond and do something about this. I was loving Amazon video and hadn't purchased anything from iTunes. I am very upset because I, like everyone else, have paid good money and I cannot watch my videos. I might have to go back to using iTunes.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 3:06:56 AM PST
It's not Amazon's but Chrome's and Firefox's problem. Internet Explorer plays great. No problems at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 5:38:05 AM PST
Matt Dunn says:
Patrick that would be an incorrect statement. It is Amazon's fault for not supporting the major browsers (if what you say is true). IE no longer has 50% of the market share. Plus I would venture to guess that the majority of prime members probably are not on IE...

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 8:30:30 PM PST
Tracey says:
It's not just Firefox and Chrome, it's IE and Safari as well and happens on both my PC and Mac. It's worse on my Mac as I'm also getting an unable to connect to video error. When I can actually get a video to play, the video freezes while the audio continues. There are some serious problems with this video service. Amazon should really be monitoring and responding to these forums, but since they're not, I'd recommend everyone file a support ticket. Go to Help>Contact Us and fill out the support form. Choose "Something Else" for the topic then, on the issue drop down, choose "More Non-Order Issues" which will give you a second drop down. Choose "Instant Video" from that second drop down and then choose "Problems Streaming" from the next drop down. Then choose send and email and explain your problem in the text box provided. When you send this it creates a support ticket and it is Amazon's policy that all support tickets are addressed and remain open until resolved. If enough people are complaining, maybe they'll do something about it.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 5:04:45 AM PST
Stefan Cupka says:
Great suggestion @Tracey! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 5:16:58 AM PST
Matt Dunn says:
I think it would be beneficial to include a link to this topic in the e-mail. I have talked with CSR's and they say it is a limit on the number of streams you can watch at one time (following their scriptbook). Every time you speak with someone at Amazon mention how you want to be able to "kill" the other streams and watch on the current device.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 6:39:55 AM PST
Stefan Cupka says:
OK. I've been communicating with Emily, one of the "higher-ups" in the Amazon CSR chain. Anyways, she's going to contact the Instant video team, and try to get an actual representative on here to help us out. I would still do as @Tracey says, and file the support tickets, that will definitely get some attention.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum

This discussion

Participants:  77
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Sep 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions