Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Subtitles? Closed Captions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 160 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2011 8:01:01 PM PDT
Richard Rahl says:
Its like netflix's all over again. There is no streaming movies that have any support as closed captions or subtitles and its frustrating to watch a movie without it if you can't hear at all :( I would love to watch instant movies with subtitles someday instead of waiting for the DVD's to arrive in the mail or going to redbox to rent one. Is anyone else bothered with this lack of support?

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 12:33:36 PM PDT
R. Renfrew says:
yes, my partner is primarily a spanish speaker, and I am a native english speaker, so we can't watch movies together...it's really frustrating!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 3:30:18 PM PDT
Richard Rahl says:
wow that is different problem but at the same time a greater need for subtitles so you both can enjoy the movie lets hope amazon fixes this problem asap!

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 3:57:29 PM PDT
Yes, I need the captions, too. I left Netflix because of it! I hoped Amazon would be different. If hulu.com can provide captions, why is it so difficult for everyone else?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2011 4:07:58 PM PDT
Richard Rahl says:
That is what i was wondering how is it hard to add captions if the DVD's already have it inside it won't it be easier to copy that code and upload it with the movie online?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 12:15:31 PM PDT
I didn't know hulu.com is providing captioning or subtitles. I'll have to check it out now, but I sure with Netflix or Amazon video was providing this feature.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 12:24:15 PM PST
TC says:
Damnit! Amazon has finally found a way to piss me off. I was basically expecting captions and subtitles for deaf/hard of hearing people just because amazon is always pretty good about customer satisfaction and accessibility, but wow. Even amazon doesn't give a damn about the deaf/hard of hearing community. Guess I'll be canceling that Kindle Fire order.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 2:30:36 PM PST
Philip Pace says:
Hulu has been doing it since I got a Roku last year. Netflix does it if you have a newer Roku box... so Amazon has found a way they can be the worst of the top three. Other than that, I like their VoD service best.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 9:47:24 AM PDT
I, too, need closed captions. However, I just bought a new Samsung HT system and I understand I can get Netflix 2 closed caption through Roku 2--although I shouldn't have to bypass my HT to get closed caption. I had to buy the Roku to get Amazon Prime through the new Home Theatre. I'm hoping, hoping, hoping closed captions will be available through Amazon Prime on the Roku.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 9:27:47 AM PDT
old arkiedan says:
My wife has very limited hearing and I've finally adjusted to her need for subtitles. They always annoyed me (I find myself reading them in spite of myself) but she needs them badly. Works great on Directv - none here. Amazon, take care of the hearing impaired folks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 12:23:38 PM PDT
I think the Amazon team is working on this and I really appreciate it! For some of us--life is a lot better with closed captions.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 7:40:19 PM PDT
I watch Netflix Instant through my PS3 and I have options for subtitles directly from Netflix. Perhaps this is only for PS3? It works for most titles, but not all.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 7:57:16 PM PDT
Versco says:
No I've tried it on the PS3, there are no captions! Shame on you Amazon.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 10:49:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 4, 2012 10:50:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 10:50:12 PM PDT
Charlotte, if you have some evidence or indication that Amazon is working on this, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share it with us. I've been writing to them about this for almost two years and have yet to see a real reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 3:58:54 AM PDT
Otto Adamec says:
It continues. May 1st, 2012. No one seems to care.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:15:28 AM PDT
I really would like to see captions for amazon movies. I have not purchased any because of this. So, I just pony up for some Blu-Rays when they are cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 1:13:59 PM PDT
Lacey, come to think of it, the reply I got was actually sort of a generic one. We're working on it, etc. Surely they are!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 1:15:32 PM PDT
Ken, I'm a Netflix subscriber, but Amazon has such a terrific line-up of TV and movies. I don't watch any of them because of the closed caption issue.

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:47:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2012 11:48:24 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 11:51:16 PM PDT
Trinsters says:
I would love it, if Amazon had close caption. My building is old and you can hear all the street noise through the closed windows. So when a truck or siren passes I can't hear a thing on the T.V. I do use Hulu's CC but I didn't know you could get CC on Netflix if you use the Roku 2. I have the older model, I may upgrade just for the CC. I hope Amazon will work on this quickly.

Posted on May 2, 2012 6:53:12 AM PDT
Hulu offers closed captions and sometimes (depending on the show) Netflix does as well. Subtitles are great when you're watching a BBC production, because even though they're speaking the same language you may miss stuff which subtitles will catch. This is especially true for the hard of hearing.

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:15:39 PM PDT
Janet Tuvek says:
I rented a good movie last night and realize there is no way or no offer to get closed captions.. I was very disappointed .. I thought it was the law on all new tvs and any kind of new movie release??? I was puzzled.. If anyone knows how to get it please post so I can enjoy too..

Posted on May 27, 2012 9:29:49 AM PDT
tonibshopper says:
I'm in the same situation, i use netflix with subtitles but Amazon seems to have much better selection so i thought i would give it a try just to learn that there is no cc! Hurry up Amazon, I won't be able to watch movies from you until you get this working! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 6:21:28 AM PDT
Hopefully, Amazon will work this through. I love their selection--but don't order because of the lack of closed captions.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  91
Total posts:  160
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions