Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

AOD Prime App for Nexus 7 & 10

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 218 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 21, 2012 10:20:49 AM PST
Catalin says:
Dear Amazon,
I've been a Prime customer for a while but without support for Nexus 7 & 10 I'm gonna look somewhere else. I love the Prime service BUT I'm not going to buy a Kindle tablet just for watching movies on AOD. I hope you get with the program and release an app for the Android tablets.

Sincerely,
A loyal Prime member

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 8:19:08 PM PST
JJ says:
Second that. Switched to netflix, google play store. Will not renew prime membership unless wife insists we shop from amazon instead of local stores.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:40:23 AM PST
W. White says:
I would also like a native Jelly Bean app, or at least a "yes" or "no" so I know what a renewal of my prime subscription is worth.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:11:42 PM PST
D. Baker says:
Amazon, get with the program here... This is getting sad, we need android access to prime. Or our business will go elsewhere!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:12:43 PM PST
I started a trial for prime membership but realized I cannot borrow a book or stream a movie on my nexus. Would love it if you fixed it.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:06:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:13:06 PM PST
Matthew West says:
I'm pretty sure this is exactly what Amazon has intended, and not just a lack of implementation. They have an app for Apple products, but not other Android devices; it's clear they're not going to make the app available to devices that are in direct competition with their Android-based Kindle.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:03:27 AM PST
Thomas L says:
I cancelled my prime membership the day I bought it because of this. I have to Kindle e-ink readers and an android tablet. Sorry not going to buy a Fire for $130 to gain that benifit... might as well get Netflix. It is ironic that there attempt to drive people to Amazon tablets Amazon has probably deterred just as many potential Prime users.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 6:27:30 AM PST
You can use Amazon Prime on a Nexus buy using xScope or Firefox with Adobe Flash sideloaded. It unclear how long this will work (on future versions of android or the browsers), as Adobe has dropped support of Android. The money for the hardware is similar, the Nexus has a slightly faster processer and Fire HD better video, its largely a choice of what ecosystem you want to be in.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:54:37 PM PST
JimTomPul says:
I really doubt it is on Amazon's end. They lose money on every Kindle they sell, why would they want to restrict where you can access their store(s) and content?
Google, on the other hand, wants to keep you from looking at any content but their own. They produce the operating system, so they make the rules. The problem is, that is a lawsuit in the waiting!
One more thing, Adobe is the one not supporting Android with their flash. They have a history of "taking their ball and going home" when they don't like something.
So I am not so sure it is Amazon, but I do ask Amazon to try to fix this thing. Or at least tell us why you can't (or won't).

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:49:24 PM PST
John Seidner says:
Count me in for wishing for a nexus 7 app. Going to stay with Netflix for now

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 7:49:43 AM PST
Shelley P says:
Google is not stopping Amazon from creating an Android App for VOD. This is Amazon's choice.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 2:11:38 PM PST
Adam says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:20:55 AM PST
Anansi's Boy says:
If that were true, then there wouldn't be an iOS version. Apple has never allowed Flash, and while I believe Adobe made a proof-of-concept version of iOS Flash, I don't think it ever made it out into the wild.

Bottom line, there *is* an Android Amazon VOD, it runs on the Kindle Fire. An earlier version that someone pulled from a Kindle Fire actually worked on many other Android devices, but a later update seems to have broken that functionality by linking to some new Kindle specific libraries. My guess, those linkages are only there to chain the app to Kindles, not for any special functionality that can't be done in the app itself.

Posted on Mar 16, 2013 3:22:05 PM PDT
Let me add another voice to the chorus. Amazon Prime is not worth the price if I can't use my Nexus 7 to watch video. Amazon needs to take ownership of this issue. It's Amazon I'm paying my Money to.

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 11:49:55 PM PDT
BornAProphet says:
Love this post! It wont run on anything with Google. Pay decent money, videos was a good selling point and can only watch on my pc. Wont play on my Impulse, Nexus or TV. Charge a small amount for the app or something. Really needs to be released though.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 10:55:26 AM PDT
Jon A. says:
I had a prime membership and I canceled it because AOV didn't work I the country I was at the time. Since AOV does not work on my nexus 7, I'll stick to netflix (realy do miss AOV though)

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:48:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2013 8:50:08 PM PDT
I would like to voice support for AOD on Nexus 7. I was already on the cusp when it came to renewing my Prime membership when Amazon started charging sales tax in AZ. The lack of support for my Nexus 7 will be the deciding factor here. Unless a AOD app is released before my renewal date, I won't be renewing my membership.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2013 6:59:13 AM PDT
D. Hickle says:
Just found this thread and want to voice my frustration at this situation also...Please fix Amazon!

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 7:12:05 AM PDT
Agreed I just updated to a new tablet that does what I need and now my prime movies are not accessible guess I will be cancelling it also

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 8:39:52 PM PDT
ZAD says:
I binged the topic to give all a fair share of the pie(Bing and my PC - MS; Nexus - Google and Prime/shopping -Amazon). All the above people and I are trying to be reasonable and rational customers. Where is a response from Amazon?

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 10:52:04 AM PDT
J. Huber says:
Just signed up for Amazon prime not realizing the lack of an app for my "Much better than kindle fire HD!" Google Nexus 7. I will now be canceling my subscription immediately. This is just sad that they haven't provided an app for the other 95% of the android devices.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 12:29:17 PM PDT
Anansi's Boy says:
There is a workaround. While ICS doesn't support Flash, the Jelly Bean version will install and works with FireFox for Android. I've used FF to watch Amazon VOD, and for now, it's working fine. I'd still like to see an app, but this is at least an option...

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-watch-flash-videos-firefox-android

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2013 12:39:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 20, 2013 12:39:50 PM PDT
Bob Jones says:
To Anansi's Boy: Is viewing Amazon VOD currently working for you via FF? I haven't been able to stream Amazon videos for about a week now. I've tried different flash apks, but nothing seems to work.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 5:52:36 PM PDT
lbuher says:
Just signed up for prime membership yesterday & have spent a good part of my day discovering that i can't borrow ebooks or stream video on my Android tablet or phone, which really stinks!!! The streaming works on my son's ipod & my husband's ipad, but not where i really wanted it to. Seriously considering cancelling.......feel misled & frustrated.....

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 6:47:49 PM PDT
B. Henderson says:
Bob - we are experiencing this as well. Up til a week ago, we viewed it on Boat browser without issue, but now Boat, FF, other browers...nothing works even though Flash ads show up. Maybe amazon has found a way to prevent this work around. Let us know if you figure something out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum

This discussion

Participants:  159
Total posts:  218
Initial post:  Nov 21, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 61 customers

Search Customer Discussions