Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Amazon prime tv shows

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 551 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 21, 2012 6:41:59 PM PST
James Davis says:
So I have amazon prime and I went to watch a television show. And they still charge 1.99 per episode. I was under the impression that once you pay for amazon prime that you could stream the videos free similar to netflix. I'm considering cancelling my membership. If you're still gonna charge 2 bucks per episode then what is my yearly payment going towards??

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 7:07:36 PM PST
song1 says:
James, the content on Prime is limited. The easiest way to search is "Movies, Music & Games" and then that drop down menu shows "Amazon Prime Video". Make sure the "Amazon Prime" is clicked on left. I have the site bookmarked. Sometimes I can't find anything to watch, other times I can.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2012 8:25:12 PM PST
Debbie says:
I also thougt the shows would be free, $2 per episode is pretty hefty. I do not believe I will keep this when my free trial is over!!!!!!!

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 8:56:38 PM PDT
Erik Groom says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:34:24 AM PDT
Not all movies/TV available on Amazon Instant Video are free to Prime customers. Make sure you are looking at Amazon Prime Instant Videos so you only see the free content.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 10:26:55 AM PDT
***** says:
Pretty much what everyone else is saying. The Prime subscription only applies to movies/tv shows that falls under Prime. That's why when they are advertising, they mention something like hundreds of movies and tv shows which is true.
Not EVERY movie and tv show so now it comes down to weather the content you like is worth getting Prime.
So if anyone is on the fence about coughing up the annual $79 fee, just browse around for the content Prime has to offer and judge accordingly. It doesn't apply to ALL video content.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 5:14:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 5:26:43 PM PDT
Max Daddee says:
Amazon only advertises the Prime membership as being able to watch a limited number of free movies and TV shows. I find alot of movies to watch for free and I've been a Prime member for two years. For TV shows, there's all the Lost seasons, Ally McBeal, 24, the old Twilight Zone (all seasons), The Wonder Years... The Prime Instant Video movies are mainly older ones - and in my opinion, the better movies. Poltergeist, American President, Jaws... Of course it depends what you like, but I browsed around to see what was out there before I signed up. This has me paying $79 a year for free two-day shipping plus a good number of free Instant Video's - that's less than $7 a month. For me, it works out to be a great deal. You might not be looking in the right place for the Prime Instant Videos that are free. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_mov_aiv_3?ie=UTF8&node=2676882011

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 12:50:01 PM PDT
Ditto^

I registered my PS3 with my account, hoping that I could watch American Dad for free, but it's $2 per episode.

The only reason why I'm thinking about keeping my subscription is because I shop online often, so getting my items within 2 days is convenient.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:21:57 AM PDT
I am less than enthralled with the prime lineup. Same with the book offers for Kindle Fire..you would be given to believe there are a lot of free ones..not so..and the deals are on older books. I am sorry I went prime and unless the benefits get better I won't be doing a renewal..not that they'll miss me!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 8:45:18 PM PDT
Stacy Taylor says:
I have difficulty sorting the free prime TV shows. Once I find a series I like, I want to bring it to the front of my queue but can't find information on how to do this.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 10:58:01 AM PDT
I too was under the impression that this was an "Instant Streaming Service" akin to NETFLIX. I SPECIFICALLY signed on to watch the Season 4 of "Breaking Bad", only to find out that to "watch it in it's entirety" would cost over 20 bucks. THE SAME DAY, NETFLIX RELEASED Season 4 of Breaking Bad.

Then I noticed that 90% of the titles are old, unheard of, or fall under the category of "Vietnamese Underwater Basket Weaving", which is useless to me.....

Sure, free shipping is great, and so is the "two day free shipping", but I don't purchase 79 bucks worth of "shipping during any given year", so it's pretty much moot here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 11:00:23 AM PDT
You're very correct on that: "It doesn't apply to ALL video content"..........

Well, it "applies to the video content that I prefer to view"........I suppose it's a 'personal choice'............. ;))

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:33:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 4:14:36 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 11:25:26 AM PDT
I've not seen this many old movies in a long time, even the onscreen box covers look old an faded.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:29:44 PM PDT
Yosemite Sam says:
I've noticed that shows once included in the Prime list now are no longer free. For example, Caprica and Battlestar Galactica.

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 5:18:40 PM PDT
L. Davis says:
I have the same complaints. One thing I am really annoyed about is that Amazon will advertise in what APPEARS to be a whole season for free but you only get the first episode. That is just false advertising. For instance "Fringe, The Complete First Season" and then when you click on it, you realize it is only the first episode that is free. Lost is no longer free. Amazon does this on purpose to get viewers hooked and then they have to buy the whole episode. I think it is more worthwhile to get a Netflix membership if you are into the movies and tv shows more than the shipping. The free 2 day shipping is only a good deal if you are a student or buy loads of stuff online. Otherwise, the regular shipping is free if you order a certain amount of $. I had Amazon Prime for half the price because I was a student but will not be renewing the membership. Amazon does alot of false advertising.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 12:21:30 PM PDT
epb says:
L Davis, you appear to be having trouble understanding the interface. The first 3 seasons of Fringe and all seasons of Lost are still available for free streaming via Amazon Prime - I checked this mere seconds ago.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:13:58 AM PDT
N. Anderson says:
I'm glad I read this before signing up. I thought you could watch anything streaming that Amazon offered for free as well. I will definitely be looking elsewhere.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:39:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2012 7:39:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:40:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 15, 2012 7:40:55 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:57:02 PM PDT
I originally subscribed to Amazon Prime because I thought it would fill the gaps nicely between Hulu Plus & Netflix, but this has not proved to be the case.

I understand the value of paying a $79 fee for commercial free viewing and I also don't take issue (too much) with paying additional dollars for HBO or other cable network programming. But to pay $2 for current episodes of NETWORK television is ridiculous; I have to buy an episode of CBS' Elementary but I can watch Jersey Shore for free? C'mon!! Especially when I can watch most of these episodes online, on the network website, for free.

So, while I'd like the convenience of watching on the big screen via our PS3, I won't be buying any of the additional programs and I won't be renewing my subscription with Amazon Prime video short of their making major adjustments in their business model. bummer.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 11:09:40 AM PDT
B. Briggs says:
I was online on a Tuesday night and things i knew were free when i tagged them in my list no longer appeared free. After midnight I saw the free icon reappear gradually but all were back the following evening. I am happy with my membership so far. I am on the fourth season of fringe without buying an episode. I just wonder how long i have to wait after season 5 is over before it is free. I'm in the same waiting game with the new Dr. Who. But $80 a year vs $100 a month I would rather have "nothing to watch" on Amazon than on Cable.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 5:53:11 AM PDT
momx2 says:
Last night only about half of the Lost episodes, season 2 and after, (randomly) were checked as free, while the other half were marked as $2.00 each. This morning, they are all checked as free with prime again. Is there a glitch in amazon prime that causes this?
Very puzzling.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:48:39 PM PDT
I agree with the comment on Lost, I had the same issues as well. Very frustrating, it drove me to sign up for Hulu Plus immediately.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:16:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:16:36 AM PST
Shaide says:
The thing is, most of the movies and series that are available free on prime, are also available for netflix streaming(Plus a ton more) for only slightly more than the cost of prime. Getting it strictly for the shows or movies is a waste(I do think Amazon should focus on getting more movies and shows that aren't available on Netflix to increase their subscription rates though.) Personally, I subscribe for the 2 day shipping personally. The prime videos is just an added bonus.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Participants:  298
Total posts:  551
Initial post:  Feb 21, 2012
Latest post:  10 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions