Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

constant buffering

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 365 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2012 4:47:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 5:12:53 PM PDT
E. White says:
I have only watched two instant videos. Both had good video quality (not great, but good) but terrible streaming with almost constant stopping to buffer. This has been on two separate days. On the same days if I switch to netflix streaming it was fine.

I don't know that I will use this service again.

Speedchecking my connection gives me 30 mbits/sec. plenty fast according to amazon.

But it looks like no one else has this problem?

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:11:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2012 5:12:34 PM PDT
Tigs says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 5:12:37 PM PDT
E. White says:
I'm sorry. Typo. It was 30

Posted on Mar 31, 2012 5:36:18 PM PDT
E. White says:
testing again, it's averaging 24-25 mbps, with a quality ping score of B+ which says it should be good for 'any internet application." I have HD tv, have streamed HD from Netflix with no problems, and so far on a film of 90 minutes it's added over a half hour to the time. I have yet to finish it, with more than 20 minutes left, as when I can't stand watching with it stopping to buffer every two minutes I stop it and get on the computer.

Netflix works fine.

But apparently I'm the only one with these problems.

I have one other purchased video. I'll try watching sometime in the afternoon, during a probably slower time for the Amazon server that's pushing the download.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 5:53:10 PM PDT
Had the same problem until yesterday. Time Warmer suggested that I turn off my telephone at 90 GHz2 which is at the same HZ2 that is streaming used by Amazon. Had to take out the battery too. Now no problems!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 4:44:14 AM PDT
Tigs says:
Good suggestion. WIreless interference could be the problem if not using a wired connection.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:59:34 AM PDT
E. White says:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I do appreciate them.

Interference doesn't explain why Netflix, also coming through the same wireless router, would be fine. The wireless device is sitting right next to the blu-ray box too. I also put the computer to sleep so it wouldn't drag on the bandwidth. Still netflix things are almost always fine even with me using the computer at the same time.

But, I will try again today, during the day, in off peak time to see if it's better.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 6:02:37 AM PDT
Tigs says:
K.White

To be honest with you, sometimes it is a software issue. Not all the streaming services use the same software and some are better than others. I actually found that I had a more of a problem with Netflix then I do Amazon Streaming. I hope Amazon doesn't mind me saying this but I recently started using Vudu for streaming and it is very good. Best so far and they offer a connection test. They are fairly new so they don't have the selection that Amazon has. Obviously if you are a Prime member you will want to view TV and movies through Amazon. I have a PS3 that I use to rent movies on Vudu.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2012 6:09:45 AM PDT
E. White says:
thanks for your thoughtful reply. I've been catching up on emails this morning, but may head right over to do my 'off peak' trial.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 5:16:33 PM PDT
E. White says:
Update - no problems at all today, at any point of the day.

Something must have been off last night - or whatever my local server was was overloaded.
Last night a 90 minute film took over 2 hours to finish with the continual need to buffer.

I'll just hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the ideas.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:01:02 AM PDT
K. Johnson says:
This absolutely stinks. I have 24mbps download, and no problem watching HD on Netflix. Amazon has to have the worst video quality I have ever seen. Buffers constantly, then froze, and wouldn't restart. When I closed the browser and tried to watch again, it says I don't have any video available, even though the order is in my digital orders.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:10:34 PM PDT
Writer says:
Same problems as above. I have TWCable 30 Mbps, wired connection, and no problems with Netflix HD. No problems with Netflix at all. But Amazon streaming is bad and doesn't work at all some days. I guess we'll use VUDU, as recommended above. Have tried it before with no problems. I really like Amazon, but if it doesn't work, there's no option. I hope they upgrade or fix the problem!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 2:52:25 PM PDT
K. Johnson says:
Yup...same thing...TWCable. Tested it with other services and no problem. I might have to go with VUDU also. I doubt they will fix the problem....been going on a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 3:14:48 PM PDT
Tigs says:
Vudu is indeed awesome, but there pricing is a little more per rental. I know on PS3 they offer 3 qualities (480P, 720P, and 1080P) I usually rent the 720P and it looks fine. You can preview the different qualities. I would probably be using Amazon streaming if they let PS3 have access to it but they don't. Amazon doesn't let you see movies and content in HD when using just your PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 4:29:02 PM PDT
E. White says:
It's funny how it's just some days - but too many and when it's bad it's terrible. I also hope they fix it.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 5:56:19 PM PDT
David N says:
I stream instant videos fine on my PC and I have a 5 Mbps DSL... I just installed the amazon app on my PS3 and it's constantly buffering even for standard definition shows :(

I have netflix and it takes less than 3 Mbps of bandwidth and runs very smooth. I'm guessing this service is new for the PS3?

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 6:55:26 PM PDT
Tigs says:
Just started today

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 7:00:01 PM PDT
K. Johnson says:
I assume that they are using their own CDN (content delivery network). With all the hype of their web services, it sure doesn't inspire confidence. I am a web developer, and I can tell you that after my experience in just renting video from them, I will never refer a client to any of the Amazon web services.

Posted on May 3, 2012 12:43:02 PM PDT
Amazon Instant Video on the PS3 is virtually worthless. It will literary take you 3 hours to get through a 1 hour show if you make the mistake of ever trying to rewind anything. It starts buffering, sometimes for 10 minutes at a time. Then it gives you the option of selecting a non-HD feed, but that doesn't solve the problem. If you never rewind or fast forward there is a possibility you can watch something uninterrupted without buffering and freezing. But that's no remedy either, since sometimes it just stops playing for no reason.

Whatever Netflix is doing, Amazon should copy and do it fast. Netflix streaming plays like a disc. Never any problems. There is no difference in the functionality and performance between Netflix Streaming and discs. In fact you have to remind yourself that it's a streaming service.

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:14:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 1:19:34 PM PDT
Tigs says:
@ Bruce I am a huge Amazon fan and fully support the company, but I think the streaming from Amazon is just plain horrible regardless of what device you use. I am totally impressed with Vudu. I am not sure if many people are aware of this company, but the quality is excellent. They have 3 different qualities to choose from SD, HD, and HDX. I usually just go with the second(720p) because the difference to me is minimal. I get absolutely no buffering at this quality. I had buffering for a split second once on HDX quality but that was nothing. They need to copy Vudu if anything.

I recently called and got my money back for a rental from Amazon. It was suppose to be HD but it was very grainy. the connection status also showed HD so I know it wasn't the connection. I went and viewed a 2min preview in HD for the same movie and there was a huge difference.

Posted on May 3, 2012 2:05:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 2:09:19 PM PDT
@Tigs:

Amazon has been my favorite store even in the days when people were afraid to buy online and they were struggling and losing money. I would like to consolidate as much of my shopping and entertainment as possible on Amazon. I love their cloud player for music and I can't imagine buying songs and albums any other way. I just don't understand why they can't get it together on streaming content.

I got a free $5.99 credit from Vudu after signing up. When I watched Thor on it, the image quality, sound and functionality were impressive--even better than Netflix. So Vudu has become my go-to place for movie rentals.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:25:13 PM PDT
Tigs says:
@Bruce Yeah I hope Vudu continues to be successful. Amazon is great for everything else. Also disappointed with the Kindle Fire a bit but I guess I can't complain too much about it considering the price.

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:35:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2013 6:50:07 PM PST]

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:49:54 PM PDT
I have a similar problem. TWC, 50mb/s download, and constantly hitting 50mb/s on speedtest.net. The computer I run speedtest.net on, and the PS3 are both on the same switch (wired connection). Amazon streaming is constantly buffering. REAL pain... practically unusable.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 12:55:56 PM PDT
BTW this doesn't happen at all on the computer. I just watched a 5 minute clip of the same movie that was constantly buffering on the PS3. Didn't miss a beat. Connection was at 4 bars the whole time.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  179
Total posts:  365
Initial post:  Mar 31, 2012
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 44 customers

Search Customer Discussions