Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

*rant* No linux support? No player support for Mac?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2011 9:23:55 AM PDT
tailwag says:
So where is the value added over Netflix? Amazon needs to start thinking platform independent. Whoever in the streaming video space does first will be successful. I'm also seeing that Amazon's player isn't even supported on Mac. You don't get my business until I'm not ties to some M$FT product in some way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 7:41:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2011 7:47:01 PM PDT
Carlos says:
Amazon's video player is Adobe Flash-based. For me it works on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on my Mac running Snow Leopard. It should run on Opera as well (other Flash-based sites do), but the Watch Now button doesn't do anything in Opera right now. Netflix uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin and on Mac it works on Safari, Firefox, and Chrome, though the latter is not officially supported. Opera on the Mac supports the Silverlight plugin but Netflix's player doesn't work on Opera.

Amazon offers content that Netflix doesn't have, and vice-versa. Right now, I'm enjoying streaming "Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles" seasons 1 and 2 in HD from Amazon for no extra charge as a Primer. Netflix only offers this show on discs (dvd or bluray). The services feel complementary to me presently.

I'd like to see both Amazon, Netflix, and others support HTML5 video. Not only would this mean we could enjoy the services on any OS, including Linux, BSD, iOS, Android, etc; but regardless of the platform we choose, resource utilization should be lower in the long run versus a plugin (if even available). Lower resource utilization means longer battery life - key on mobile platforms. HTML5 video - *that's* true platform independence.

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:56:23 PM PDT
I'd love to see Amazon join the xBox 360 market! Then Amazon and Netflix all in the same place!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 4:00:43 PM PDT
paulbk42 says:
That's well and good; however downloading and playing the movies and TV programs on your PC is Windoze only, so Amazon video on demand is *not* Mac friendly.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 8:57:04 PM PDT
The B. of 41 says:
If you want a Linux-based method of viewing both Amazon Video and Netflix (as well as a ton of other content), buy a Roku. I've had mine for a couple of years and it just keeps getting better.

Roku 2100X XDS Streaming Player 1080p

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2011 12:11:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2011 12:30:43 PM PDT
Amazon's instant video works very well on all my Ubuntu linux systems (with Adobe Flash installed) as well as the Macs. If you have trouble displaying the video in a full screen under Ubuntu, do a Google search for "Ubuntu fullscreen Flash" for the workaround.

The Miro video player is a good way to play lots of free video content on any platform, including linux. (Amazon Prime is NOT "free" so it's not playable with Miro as far as I can tell.)

I considered a Roku player for my TV but bought a Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player which plays Amazon videos very well and upsamples my DVDs beautifully as well.

EDIT: I just realized from looking through this forum that most of the complaints seem to be about "Unbox" which seems to be Microsoft-only. I don't run any Microsoft OS here so I hadn't even looked at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 2:33:02 AM PDT
Vicky says:
IAmazon Video does not support Mac because Apple have some crazy policy for leveraging their proprietary DRM 'FairPlay'. Without strong DRM, studios would not allow PC download

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 2:17:49 PM PST
Amazon Instant Video used to work well on my computer (which runs Ubuntu), but the player update just never really seems to finish on my machine. Now I can't watch anything. If any of you knows a way around this (without getting a Roku), could you please let me know?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 2:34:01 PM PST
It appears to be working fine on this netbook (Ubuntu 11.10). I just tried it using FireFox. Do you have the non-free Flash Player installed? I doubt the totally-free gnash player works (yet) for something like this, so be sure you are using Adobe Flash (installed via the Ubuntu Software Center).

It's possible I don't understand what you mean by the "player update just never really seems to finish." I go to the Amazon.com web site, choose Prime Instant Video, choose the movie or TV show I want to watch, and when I click the show, the player with the content is embedded in the web page.

HOWEVER I did NOT just watch a whole TV show... I prefer doing that on my TV (with the Amazon Prime Instant Video in my Blu-Ray player). So if you mean the show you have chosen plays for awhile and stops, that might be a different issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 12:48:13 AM PST
I don't want to buy something else! I have an awesome media box that until today played amazon instant flawlessly! Until I find a solution, it just became a giant, very expensive mp3 player!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 12:48:50 AM PST
I don't want to buy something else! I have an awesome media box that until today played amazon instant flawlessly! Until I find a solution, it just became a giant, very expensive mp3 player!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 12:49:17 AM PST

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:56:04 PM PST
I am having the same problem as Bareena: the player update never updates, so I can no longer watch videos. I've tried it on chrome and firefox, so it must be something to do with linux...Any suggestions before I give up and choose a linux-compatible video streaming service?

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 2:19:28 PM PST
It's still working for me. Just played it on this machine running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx." I went to http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/ and this machine has Flash 11.1.102.55 just as it should.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 5:05:58 PM PST
Have the same Ubuntu and Flash versions - Amazon does not stream. It worked last week but no longer can I watch a movie.

Twas really enjoying Amazon's streaming video on Ubunutu unlike Netflix's old-world view of east (Appleophiles) and west (Microsoftilians). Oddly, both Amazon and Netflix work fine on my Android Kindle Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 7:49:31 PM PST
I just tried again and it *STILL* works fine here. I wish I could offer a suggestion, as I have never had a problem watching Amazon Instant Video on Ubuntu.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 11:26:50 AM PST
S. Letarte says:
I have occasional issues with amazon instant Video using Ubuntu 11.11 and FireFox/Flash, but have found that if I encounter the issue of no stream, I go to another amazon offering and stream a portion of a preview, then go back to what I wanted to see, w/out closing FFox and it works fine.

I will occasionally get a bad crash in the midst of a long movie - it crashes FFox and logs me out of Unity, all without an manual intervention, but it's rare enough that it doesn't bug me too much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 8:30:46 PM PST
sea2summit3 says:
I have the same flash version using Ubuntu 11.10 yet the player doesn't work. It says "updating player" with a yellow status bar. When the status bar completes, an error box pops up that an error occurred and the player could not be updated. I'm not incompetent with computers, yet I'm not a even close to an computer master. Any other ideas?

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 6:56:48 AM PST
Since mine STILL works, I just did a couple of Google searches and discovered the problem MAY be related to DRM (copy protection) in certain specific videos. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133626

If you are having this problem, it might be helpful to mention exactly which video, ideally a "free prime" video so it doesn't cost anything to test.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 6:52:01 PM PST
I am having the same problem as sea2summit3 - yellow status bar with error message at the end, while some other trailer is playing fine. The video is "Crossroads."

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 7:21:44 PM PST
sea2summit3 says:
Sounds like T. W. Trussell may have come across something promising, but its a little over my head for a noob linux user. Go to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133626 and look at Sniper061's post about HAL and DRM. Will try it next time I rent a video through AIV.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 9:53:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 10:18:10 AM PST
It turns out there's a lot more useful info at another Amazon customer discussion forum thread called "Instant Video Player update breaks rights": http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM

I had participated in that thread early and unsubscribed. The thread includes several detailed procedures to fix it, and comments about several distros.

I don't use Instant Video much on a computer (I have it in my Blu-Ray player.) It turns out the video I was using to test (first episode of LOST) does NOT have the problem, but the Star Trek episode linked in the forum DOES.

EDIT: When I wrote the above, I had not made the change, but I did just now, and it works for me. SO here is what I did:

1) This video did not play on my netbook: Encounter At Farpoint (Part 1 & 2)

2) I installed HAL and HAL1:

sudo apt-get install hal libhal1

3) I rebooted

4) The video linked above works now.

REMINDER this is Ubuntu 11.10 running Firefox. YMMV.
EDIT: Also, I read that Hal is deprecated and scheduled for removal from the Ubuntu repository (it has already been removed from Red Hat's). SO if Adobe doesn't choose to update the Flash plugin to remove its dependence on HAL (for this particular DRM), the fix will become more complicated with whatever release of Ubuntu drops HAL (presumably the next one, which will be 12.04 LTS -- a Long Term Support release). Not impossible, but a more difficult workaround. Plus, who wants HAL running all the time if you don't need it?

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 2:19:22 AM PST
Works fine for me on Android, WebOS, Mac, and PC. all have flash though....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:39:42 AM PST
sea2summit3 says:
Thanks for the links T. W. Trussell. You saved a noob a lot of digging... Cheers!

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 12:52:40 PM PST
Jeannie says:
I was getting frustrated with the failed updating of the player. Installing that library worked. Thanks Trussell.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  61
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2011
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions