Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Instant streaming sucks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 459 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 18, 2012 7:26:53 PM PDT
C. H. says:
We have 30 minutes left of the Hunger Games and stupid amazon.com network keeps on going down. Lesson to learn always get the DVD.
Your reply to C. H.'s post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:21:58 PM PDT
G. Rahmes says:
I had the same problem. Called support and he said was due to firmware update on my Roku 2 that went out today. He said solution was to unplug the Roku for 15 seconds.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 8:29:43 PM PDT
Or unplug Amazon.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 9:41:06 PM PDT
michael says:
Yes, Amazon absolutely needs to work on improving their Instant Video service. I have constant problems with every video I purchase. Any major company like Amazon, selling premium content, should not work so poorly. I am watching on an excellent desktop system with blazing fast cable internet connection. I have no problems with any other site, including Netflix. It's even gotten to the point where I purchase the content from Amazon and then go watch it on free streaming sites, (with a guilt free conscience), because they work better! That's just wrong, that pirate streaming sites actually work better than Amazon. Seriously? I'm paying for this stuff... I should have no problems! If Netflix can do it, there is no reason why Amazon cannot. I spend a pretty decent amount of money monthly on music, movies and cloud storage, from Amazon, and I feel very upset and let down at the quality of their streaming video service. I really hope Amazon gets their act together on this. There is no way they're unaware of the problem -- it's been years now. I have the same problems on any computer and device I've ever tried, so I *know* it's not my system.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:53:52 PM PDT
I agree.

I have a PS3 and you just can't stream Amazon on it. Netflix works great tho.

A lot of people are not happy with the whole deal:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand/ref=cm_cd_fp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdThread=Tx3LG4HDLNIYX26

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 9:09:07 PM PDT
S. Chu says:
Keeps on saying "Unable to Connect to Video." Incredibly frustrating! Never going to buy another episode ever!

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 11:24:26 PM PDT
I watch the "connecting" loading screen more often than I do the actual show...

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 7:01:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 7:49:44 PM PDT
Hurley says:
Ugh just happened to me too. 1hr40min into Hunger games and video cuts out. I try to reload and fast forward and video cuts out in same spot. Happened to me too at the end of Sherlock Holmes. I have zero problems with Netflix. ugh

Update: I upgraded the firmware in my Samsung TV and was able to finish watching (stupid TV was suppose to update automatically.) Hope this is a permanent fix.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:16:44 PM PDT
Mark Wagner says:
I have never had a streaming problem with Netflix, amazon breaks up, stops, restarts runs the dialog out of sequence with the video, CONSTANTLY. It is not just bad, it is unbelievably bad.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:30:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 8:28:13 AM PDT
I echo what Mark Wagner just said. Amazon, what's the deal w/ the jerky video? You're arguably the master of the cloud, so this is indeed surprising. I was thinking of switching from Netflix, but even though i'm watching (a free offering under Prime) at 3:30 a.m. when net traffic should be low, the sound on these videos keeps breaking up for split seconds, constantly. The jerky video's annoying too, but the sound bothers me more.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 7:59:44 PM PST
Adam B. Gunn says:
I can't even watch the videos in my library.. jeez. Just sits there loading forever.. :(

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:04:21 AM PST
strix275 says:
Amazon's streaming experience is far below YouTube, Hulu, Netflix and others I have tried. One of the big issues is the "auto-detection" of your connection. For me, it takes up to 5+ minutes to decide that I have more than a dial-up modem speed. There is no way to force it to stream at a higher rate. This happens at the beginning of every program.

A long, wasted phone support session yielded nothing worthwhile. The Amazon agent (assuming they were even inside the US) did not seem to comprehend what I was telling him. Instead feeding me lines about WiFi being a problem (never had an issue with any other service). So I switched to ethernet cable. Same issue. The agent kept talking about WiFi despite my being on a wired connection. I was able to connect and stream in HD with Hulu, YouTube and a couple others WHILE the Amazon connection was saying "very low" (and still had bandwidth to spare).

Amazon's streaming needs to give you a speed setting (like others do) to override the auto-detect, which clearly does not work properly if it takes up to 6 minutes to figure out your connection. This has been happening for months.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:32:25 PM PST
I keep getting insufficient bandwidth on PS3. I jump over to Netflix and no problem. I get on my PC and run Speedtest.net and I get a solid 12 Mbps. Their streaming service is horrible.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 10:16:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 4:15:49 PM PST
Streaming; in my opinion, is largely a sad progression of technology; It upsets me that this is the new standard of consuming media. The loss of quality from compression is a huge problem in itself, but people don't care to know what they are missing. If it must be this way; streaming (via wired connection, wireless, flash, silver light etc.) should at least be reliable. Sure a weak wireless connection could be compared to a poorly aimed TV antenna, loose connection to the DVD player but also to selling customers scratched DVD's and assuring them this is "normal". If this is not appreciated, and content distributors are unable to provide a reliable service; or in my case, experience in consuming a 10+ hour program, is the endgame when it starts to corrode product reviews?

"Ken Burns produced a great film series; however it was barely watchable "as provided" 1 star. Sorry Ken, but I believe you have a say in how you want your work distributed. FUBAR: September 1944 - December 1944 [HD] F.U.B.A.R. indeed.

Sure the reduced cost of the service I am complaining about surely is worth the diminished quality and media caching delays etc. It's just upsetting when a substandard format becomes the new standard.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 8:23:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 8:24:18 AM PST
Tigs says:
I never really had problems with buffering or connecting to video with Amazon video. My concern is the quality of the video. I had watched an HD version of a movie but it looked like it was in standard definition despite it saying it is streaming HD. It actually looked worse than Standard Definition. Amazon is not streaming 1080P quality video that is for sure.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 5:17:43 PM PST
Mark S. says:
I am just trying out Amazon Streaming myself, and I don't know if it is Panasonic or Amazon, but the overall interface is actually worse than anything designed by Comcast(and I can't believe I typed that).

Netflix will remember the last episode I watched, and even move to the next episode. Amazon, not so much.

Fast forwarding and rewinding in Netflix works well. Amazon, not so much.

Netflix remembers with a high degree of accuracy where I last left off watching an episode. Amazon, sometimes maybe and sometimes, not so much. This is especially bad because of the frequent lost connections, poor video starts, and restart from pause.

Seriously, I would not ever consider purchasing permanent digital content on Amazon while they are using a 1990s UI.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 6:03:04 PM PST
Just spent the last hour, with 15 minutes of pauses.
Amazon won't fix, it's worse when I pay for a movie.
Prime/free seem to work more problem free.
But all videos are stalling.
When it happens, I can run a ping against amazon.com and get timeouts.
When I get the ping timeouts, I can still access http://www.amazon.com.
Looks like they can take money, but not provide good service.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:40:33 AM PST
Superdave says:
had the free trail and already cancelling . Netflix needs work but it truly is better quality

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:00:28 AM PST
C. Madison says:
FWIW, I had a bad experience with Amazon Prime streaming to several devices in my home. The problem turned out not to be Amazon, but my Internet Service Provider. I switched from a cable provider to a DSL provider. The DSL service has less throughput than the cable provider, BUT I can stream Amazon videos to my TV (adults) AND XBox (kids) in a different room at the same time without issue!!! With that said, I had Netflix before Amazon Prime and Netflix didn't have the same issues of dropping shows that Amazon did. Perhaps, my cable provider's issues started after I switched to Amazon Prime.

I'm just upset that Amazon pulled Linux support from their MP3 cloud player (downloader). Grrrr...I spent the day downloading and uploading my mp3s into Google Play. I may have to replace all of the kindles in the house with Nexus'.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 5:37:16 AM PST
Amazon are reading this? Fix your damn instant video or im not coming back!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 6:10:53 AM PST
G. Venable says:
What good is a discussion forum if there is no Amazon meditator answering these issues?
Dropping, stalling, voice out of sync, poor quality during viewing, inability to connect, UI hangs, etc., etc.
I have cancelled the free Prime trial. There is nothing more aggravating than being into a video and have all this crap begin happening. If what I am experiencing is wide spread Amazon should be hung out to dry. However, it is a behemoth and will lose money for years just to buffer against Netflix, luring unsuspecting viewers with high hopes, only for those hopes to be dashed. And there are a lot of people who do not cancel and get caught in a cycle of yearly billing and truly don't even use the service. Their fault I know, but it happens more often than imagined.

About Amazon Mediation: All this is futile if no one is getting answers to their problems in these forums, period.

I have a TWC (100 Mbit) cable connection (the highest end connectivity money can buy and solid as a rock) and have no problems with Netflix, VPN or any streaming or connectivity processes on my computers or Samsung Devices (Latest Smart TV tech 2012').
Only systemic problem is with Amazon Prime.
Also, the UI is not process engineered very well (Looks good though), to many clicks to get back to what you were viewing or getting to view what you want and search loses your entry if you move forward then return, that's kids' stuff.

This is unacceptable! Good bye.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:52:13 AM PST
We have a Panasonic BluRay player with Amazon Prime access and it's complete crap. 5 out of 5 of the last movies we attempted to watch "crawl" or end up with multiple pop up messages about low bandwidth issues. Speedtest says I'm pulling 25.18 Mbps down and pushing 3.71 Mbps up. That's 12x faster than the required speed... so tell me - WTH is going on?!?!?!?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:33:13 AM PST
Streetwise says:
I have a Samsung BR player and ever since around 12/25 or so, the stream starts out "okay" (ie. 8-9mbps), but then quickly drops down to 1.5mbps after about 30 seconds of viewing at which point, the movie stops completely. We then checked a couple of Amazon purchased movies which seem to play fine and remain at 17.5mbps. Netflix and Vudu are both fine. It seems to be just the Prime Movie streaming that has broken down within the past week or so. Why doesn't someone from Amazon respond?

If this continues, I will cancel my prime membership.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:28:19 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 7, 2013 4:08:52 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 9:56:05 PM PST
D. Davis says:
Your reasoning is short-sighted. When everything works but one "streaming", its the streamer. In other words, Amazon has a long way to reach Netflix abilities.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  256
Total posts:  459
Initial post:  Aug 18, 2012
Latest post:  15 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 48 customers

Search Customer Discussions