Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Can I burn to DVD?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 2:13:08 PM PDT
Misty Burke says:
I purchased and downloaded a couple episodes of a TV show through the Amazon Unbox. Can I burn these to a DVD disc? I have Nero 9 and nothing else. I can't see how I'd transfer the files to Nero.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 5:19:10 PM PDT
Sam Adams says:
Videos purchased are not transferable to any other device. You buy it and watch it, no backups allowed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 7:21:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 7:27:02 PM PDT
paulbk42 says:
That's not true. The programs may be downloaded to two PC's (not Macs) and the files may be burned to a DVD for backup purposes. This will protect your purchases if the program maker/distributor withdraws the license from Amazon VOD. The catch is that the backups will only play on the Amazon Unbox. They cannot be played on a DVD player or with your PC optical drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 11:06:02 AM PDT
K. DeV says:
And if you backup, you may have to "import" the file from the backup location back into the Amazon Unbox. I had to do this, but had no problem.

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 3:27:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 29, 2012 3:59:08 AM PDT
J. Petrey says:
I don't condone copyright infringement however when you have paid for something as in 'bought', then it should be available for backup to a DVD-R to play on any unit. Rentals don't apply because that would be stealing.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:52:11 PM PST
I paid of an episode/season of a tv show on amazon. How can I put it on a disc to watch when I travel and streaming is not allowed on a plane?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 4:57:31 PM PST
K. DeV says:
Read the above posts. It can't be done. You can back it up onto a disc, but you cannot watch it from that disc unless you are on Amazon Unbox and are connected to the internet (because Amazon has to recognize your player and you have to log into your Amazon account).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 3:26:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 27, 2013 8:55:44 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:12:48 PM PST
J.E.N. says:
I'm kind of bummed I cannot burn a movie I bought! I guess they are worried about copyright infringement? I wish they reconsider (allow you to make a copy since you bought it). Next time I'm going to just buy the DVD instead!

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:38:42 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 21, 2013 7:39:35 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:40:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 7:41:49 PM PST
Justin Fick says:
there is a way to burn a movie to a disc its called magic dvd ripper it rips the movie or you can have it ripped the whole cd to ypur pc and then you can turn that rip movie into a dvd i never really mess when it rips the whole thing I just had it rip the movie! and just burn the avi file into dvd disc that will play on your dvd player

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 4:30:39 PM PDT
Peter V. says:
Aimersoft

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 10:29:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2014 10:42:46 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:
I paid full retail price for a movie. I didn't know how it worked when I purchased it with amazon prime. I thought they would send me the movie on disk in the mail so I could watch it on my dvd player. I guess if I ever cancel my amazon prime account then I get screwed out of my movie I paid full retail price for. Lucky for me I only purchased one movie. I'll NEVER pay full retail price on prime again. It's a ripoff when they send no disk. That's how the get ya. Next time I will buy the disk. They should warn people when they pay full retail price for the disk that an actual disk is not included and that if you ever cancel your prime account then they get to screw you out of what you paid full retail price for. Warning to new ROKU users. When you see Rent $2.99 and Buy $9.99 Do NOT click Buy $9.99 You get no disk which is the way it should be and you are forced to only watch it their player. Buy the disk without using prime so you can get what you pay for...a Hard Copy. Their electronic copy that can not be played on a DVD player is a ripoff IMHO

Posted on Apr 6, 2014 12:05:17 AM PDT
E. Nash says:
Sad. Yes, this business model's weakness is that you really don't "own" it, you seem to own the rights to view it, but only on certain equipment, and certain scenarios, and only on so many devices. Until they get this worked out, "buying" streaming media won't have the growth curve they want. I'd rather own my own media (DVD/Blu-Ray), and take it wherever I want, not be trapped in a gilded cages, with transitory licenses, and vaporware players.

There's hope though, iTunes/Google Play don't encrypt music anymore, so now, I buy from them because I have unrestricted access to my purchased media without all the hoop jumping, ridiculous inconveniences, or gray-hat workarounds. I expect streaming movies/TV will eventually come around.

Hollywood/entertainment industry also thought that VHS/audio tape would collapse their industry's revenue stream due to pirating...every new iteration goes through the same nonsense until the greed-mongers loosen up, and then find their profits are unaffected, and the consumer will buy more when treated well with their freedoms unabridged. Just my thoughts on this.

Posted on May 22, 2014 9:58:01 AM PDT
Tunist says:
Seriously considering dropping my Prime membership. I hate having all those freakin DVD cases, but I don't think I'll be supporting this VoD model anymore
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum (961 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions