Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

5.1 surrround not working with instant video?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 270 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2015 7:01:20 AM PDT
Amazon audio did work correctly until mid-January. Now shows/episodes I had previously watched with sound no longer have sound. I recently spoke to Panasonic, who told me that they were working with Amazon to roll out an updated app to correct these issues. My buffering issue with Amazon was corrected by performing a complete reset of the TV.

Posted on Mar 14, 2015 5:56:41 AM PDT
James F. says:
It seems that many of Amazon's HD broadcasts do not include Dolby surround, and Amazon doesn't specify which do and which don't in their broadcast descriptions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2015 7:51:01 AM PST
I have been a prime member for over 5 years. Personally, these problems began in December, including the constant buffering. I have a Panasonic 4k Ultra HD with digital audio out to a NAD AV 316 Integrated Amp with 5.1 Polk speaker setup. The Amazon issues occur regardless of using wireless or hardwired. Netflix & Hulu do not suffer the buffering issues of Amazon, even at 4k resolution.

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 7:02:40 AM PST
G Man says:
I have been an Amazon Prime Member for more than 2 Years now and have not noticed any problems with Surround Audio on the Amazon Prime Videos.
I have a 7.1 surround setup and just watched "Star Trek - Into Darkness" last night in Full HD and the surround sound separation was very apparent.
I watch through a Roku 2, with hardwired Ethernet and HDMI connected through my Pioneer 7.1 Receiver.

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 6:20:20 AM PST
I have a Panasonic TC-58AX800U. The 5.1 digital audio out stopped working on Amazon Prime when I was 1/2 way through Transparent. I found I had to switch to internal speakers or I had to start up the blu-ray player and access Amazon that way to correct the sound. I occasionally have a similar issue with Netflix & 5.1, but with Netflix, I can switch the audio from 5.1 to stereo on the fly then continue to use the external speakers.

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 9:15:41 PM PST
Just rented a movie in HD and found no 5.1. Very disappointed as I was looking to enjoy my newly updated sound setup. The product received was not as advertised. I was left feeling ripped off and after reading part of this 11 page thread it is pretty obvious that Amazon doesn't care.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 7:29:51 PM PST
I know this isn't the answer you, and others, are looking for but the Fire Stick is only $39 and the Fire TV is advertised (sale) for $79. I've enjoyed my Fire TV with 5.1 on most videos AND getting 2-day shipping for a year: the upgrade to 2-day shipping on Amazon Prime alone was worth the price.

Posted on Dec 22, 2014 6:44:34 AM PST
M. Anderson says:
It really does look like Amazon Prime is lagging behind in its 5.1 channel offerings. Although nearly all the titles listed on Prime (via my Sony Smart TV and Home Theatre amp) show 5.1 surround as part of the HD spec, none of them will stream with it. The device firmware is up to date, and although I have raised the issue with Sony as well, I suspect neither company will take responsibility and resolve the issue. So come on Amazon. If you want to retain your HD customers in the face of rising (and better) competition, step up. Release the 5.1 sound to all your users (on any device that can receive it) and show that you want to deliver the best online streaming user experience. If not, then a declining market share will be your reward. Netflix free trial anyone...?

Posted on Dec 21, 2014 11:22:09 AM PST
jdutch says:
Also having the problem with many HD 5.1 channel videos only playback in stereo. Have a Roku Lite and adequate bandwidth. However, did find a video series (Eureka!) that does play 5.1 sound. Anyone have any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2014 8:36:48 PM PST
Michael M. says:
You can tell by looking at the video's details while running the AIV app on whatever device you're using to watch it, provided the device is capable of decoding 5.1. You can't view this info (or listen in 5.1) if using a web browser.

Posted on Dec 7, 2014 8:11:27 PM PST
smoledman says:
How do you even know if a video supports stereo or 5.1? The product details section doesn't say anything on the web site.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 12:18:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2014 9:34:44 PM PST
Josh B. says:
Essentially confirming what others have said: Amazon and Panasonic finally got their act together, and the latest Panasonic firmware does provide 5.1 channel audio for Amazon Instant Video. The (Silverlight-based) web client for PCs is another story entirely. It does not provide 5.1 channel audio, and almost certainly never will. Microsoft put Silverlght on life support years ago (last version released in 2011). It would be nice if Amazon released a PC client that played 5.1 channel audio, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Even Netflix doesn't have a Windows 7 client that plays 5.1 sound; only their Windows 8 Metro client does. I'm afraid HTPC owners are second class citizens, presumably becaue there aren't enough of us to matter. Luckily, "streaming sticks" are dirt cheap these days, and at least two of them work properly with AIV (Roku and Amazon). It would be nice if there were an AIV client for Chromecast, but again, I wouldn't hold my breath. Someone wrote a Chromecast App that streamed AIV, called PrimeCast, but Amazon reportedly disabled it within 36 hours of release.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 10:46:49 AM PST
K says:
Just to confirm what someone else said, if I put the laptop in Stereo then I can at least get Dolby Prologic, the receiver says receiving PCM Stereo signal instead of PCM 5.1 as with previous setup. Frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 10:36:08 AM PST
The key is probably "on supported devices". I have 5.1 using the Amazon Fire, but sounds like many (most) other devices only output stereo even if connected by HDMI.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2014 10:20:55 AM PST
K says:
I have same problem using laptop - HDMI - 5.1 receiver. Watching through Silverlight on IE or Chrome I only get stereo sound. My amp says it is receiving 5.1 PCM sound on all channels but I only hear stereo. If I do the speaker test from the laptop I get 5.1 OK so laptop, connection & receiver all OK.
I have only tried 1 paid for HD movie so far, 300: Rise of an Empire.
I have asked Amazon support if all HD movies are 5.1 sound & if not what indicates sound levels, after putting me on hold I was told that all HD is 5.1 on supported devices. None of their advice was given with confidence.
Please confirm what your experience has been.
THanks

Posted on Nov 25, 2014 2:34:51 PM PST
WIRed Mom says:
Same problem here. I've been a Prime member for many years and really enjoy Amazon Prime Videos...but I've always watched them on my computer.

Fast forward a few years... i finally broke down and bought a Roku streaming stick. Great device! But, guess what? The content I am streaming (which indicates that it is 5.1) has absolutely NO AUDIO unless I go to the Roku settings and put it in STEREO! What a disappointment!

Is Amazon going to fix this problem any time soon? PLEASE, PLEASE fix this problem, Amazon. I love you guys...and I WANT to keep on loving you!!

Posted on Oct 4, 2014 7:29:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 4, 2014 7:48:57 AM PDT
The Rocker says:
I just called Amazon. I use a Playstation 3 with HDMI cable. I was directed to "uncheck" everything that was possible (2 LCMs are fixed) under sound settings. SAME OLD SH&$!!! JUST STEREO!! DO NOT PURCHASE AMAZON PRIME!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2014 11:11:09 AM PDT
Michael M. says:
Has "what" been addressed?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2014 11:08:24 AM PDT
Has this been addressed?

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 1:48:51 PM PDT
Thuefner says:
I use an hdmi cable with my ps3. If you go into the sound settings under manual output and un-check the 5.1, the stereo should work.

Posted on Sep 22, 2014 6:07:22 PM PDT
Jc Hall says:
Ok, so I was house sitting for two weeks and they have an old Dolby Prologic analog receiver. I noticed on their smart tv that the Amazon interface was upgraded vs mine at home on my Panasonic BluRay DVD DMP-BD85. I bought a digital to analog converter for them as their smart tv only provided the optical out. However, with Amazon, there was no way to not choose the HD signal (could only do it on Netflix which is the one they use all the time), so I had the opposite problem that I had at home. I just had buzzing sound as I could not downgrade of the digital HD signal on Amazon.

So I use Amazon on my Panasonic BluRay today, the Amazon interface is upgraded, my DD 5.1 now works!!! I use an optical cable to my receiver or the BluRay can decode the 5.1 itself and send all 5.1 channels to (6 cables) to my receiver (no HDMI ports).

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 12:48:38 AM PDT
Michael M. says:
An update on my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 --

Apparently Panasonic and Amazon waited until I spent an additional $45 on a refurb Sony player capable of 5.1 playback of AIV, then waited an additional 30 days (so it can't be returned), then updated the Amazon app on the Panasonic to now deliver 5.1 audio to my home audio system. Bravo, and well-played. You soaked me for an additional $45, and now I have a secondary Blu-ray player for which I have little use.

(No, I don't actually believe that I was the centerpiece of any kind of conspiracy. But the story tells better that way.)

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 5:35:25 PM PDT
Your receiver says it's getting DD5.1, but are you actually getting all 6 channels? I seem to remember trying what you tried but still only getting two channels of sound (no center, no surrounds, no sub). And since it doesn't register as two channel sound, I can't use dolby surround to fake the missing channels. Maybe they've made a change somewhere that makes it work (I hope they have). I'll try when I get home and report back.

Posted on Sep 11, 2014 3:35:45 PM PDT
For any PS3 owners, after finding this thread, I've spent some time and think I have a solution for anybody using a HDMI cable to get the video and sound into a Home Cinema Amp/Receiver.

What I found was the following:

PS3 - HDMI - Fully automatic sound configuration

AIV - Playback of 5.1 content shows on my Yamaha as PCM.
Netflix - Playback of 5.1content shows on Yamaha as 5.1 Dolby Digital+

PS3 - HDMI - Manual sound configuration

With these settings, I manually deselected anything that had 5.1 or 7.1 and PCM against it and saved those settings.
The results now looked as follows:

AIV - Playback of 5.1 content shows on my Yamaha as Dolby Digital 5.1
Netflix - Playback of 5.1 content shows on Yamaha as 5.1 Dolby Digital+

In the case of AIV I used Battlestar Galactica and 2 Guns for the test. Netflix was tested using District 13

So, the question now becomes, why is this happening? Why doesn't the PS3/AIV combination result in Dolby Digital going to the Amp when Netflix is able to?

I think the answer is partly due to Sony, and partly due to Amazon.

There are forums postings that suggest that the PS3 favours sending out PCM audio (eg performing the decoding internally), especially for Games. What this means, is that if its outputting 5.1 audio and PCM is an option, it will use that in preference to Dolby Digital where the decoding is done in the receiver instead.

I saw this behaviour on a game as well (Borderlands 2). With my manual settings in place, I got DD 5.1, when fully automatic, just PCM.

Netflix, it seems is capable of correctly "forcing" 5.1 DD+ even when fully automatic sounds settings are used. AIV and PS3 games appear to be another story.

For those that have used the approach of an optical/toslink cable, the reason that works is because Toslink doesn't have the bandwidth (capacity) to transmit 5.1 or 7.1 PCM audio (eg uncompressed audio with more than 2 channels). It can carry 5.1/7.1 compressed (eg Dolby Digital, DTS etc).

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 6:48:12 PM PDT
clee says:
hi all i also have this problem no 5.1 using my blueray player,all other apps have 5.1. netflix,hulu,utube on and on. this is on amazon to fix . one less customer. seeee ya
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  110
Total posts:  270
Initial post:  Jan 29, 2012
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 50 customers

Search Customer Discussions