Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

parental controls on amazon instant video

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 243 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2011 11:54:46 AM PDT
J. Whalen says:
i love these suggestions and agree they would create a great competitive advantage for Amazon

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 1:19:52 PM PDT
M. Sugden says:
I too have a Roku and would like to see parental controls implemented. The top recommendations under the Prime Eligible free streaming category are as follows: American Swing, Cashback, Harem, Food Inc., Kiss Me Again, Easy, I Am A Sex Addict, Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 1, Torchwood Series 1 [HD], and Louis CK: Chewed Up. Not a list of titles I would recommend to anybody. At this point I'll just have to remove the Amazon channel from my Roku device until Amazon implements some kind of parental controls.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 5:10:39 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:08:06 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
I noticed that you use the word 'kid' in the singular. Being omnipresent when you have only one child may be possible, but try doing that when you have 2, 3 or 4. Totally impractical. That's like pharmaceutical companies saying they don't need to put childproof caps on drugs because responsible parents will always know where their medicines are and keep an eye on their kids. Anyone trying to run a household with multiple children knows that being with them at all times is impossible. That's why there are childproofing sections of the home improvement store. This is the 21st century. We can have simple tools that help parents keep their kids safe.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:16:43 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
So in your opinon Amazon should withhold commonly used parental control measures in order to push parents to be more old school and hold their kids' hands 24 hours a day? Customer service is about providing choices and options for a broad spectrum of needs, not promoting a particular parenting ideology.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:20:22 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
How many parenting awards or child development degrees have you received? About as many as the number of times you've read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"? Your opinion is just your opinion, which means you are in no position to judge anyone else who doesn't share your narrow minded opionions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:27:44 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
If Amazon provides a parental control feature for those customers that want it, how does that affect you, someone who has no need for it, because you are such a marvelous parent? It doesn't. So your dismissal of the interest in this feature is simply how you make yourself feel better than everyone else. This shouldn't be a discussion of whose parenting techniques are better. This should be a discussion of how Amazon can better meet the needs of its customers, many of whom would like to have this feature, like they do for so many other media sources.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:28:51 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
AMEN.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2011 10:31:52 PM PDT
Tom Trails says:
This wouldn't require much effort from Amazon. It thoroughly catalogs all of the merchandise available on its site, and the tags for each product should make these kinds of controls fairly simple to implement. I love Amazon and have been a loyal customer for years, but honestly one of the things holding me back from using their streaming video service is the barrage of sexually explicit titles and thumbnails that appear when I go to the main page for Amazon Instant Video. C'mon Amazon, you are much more sophisticated than this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 3:05:45 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 5:19:52 AM PDT
Tom Trails says:
You can follow the link to see who I was responding to. The logic you use, however, could be used to say that Amazon itself is unnecessary. Wouldn't we all be better off if we walked to the store instead of shopping from home? Or if we learned to do without the things we can get from Amazon that are hard to get in other ways? As another person posted, this is no place to moralize about parenting. Some of us want these controls. They are commonly available from other media providers, they are relatively easy to create, and they don't have any adverse effect on those who don't want to use them. I want the control as much for myself as for my children. I'm not a prude, but I don't want to see the sexually suggestive titles and thumbnails every time I go to the Amazon Instant Video page. Yahoo! lets me determine what is on the homepage when I go there. Amazon is just as sophisticated as Yahoo! is. Amazon is always suggesting stuff to me, which I usually appreciate, but it should also give me the ability to de-suggest stuff that I don't want in my face. As someone else said, I pay for my Prime membership, so I should be in control.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2011 6:29:42 AM PDT

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 4:14:19 PM PDT
I am killing my Netflix account and thinking about Amazon but with no parental controls -- probably not. Amazon please step up to this. It is naive to just say be in the room with the kids -- devices and computers are all over our house.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:21:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 5:22:38 PM PDT
Jake says:
Amazon needs to provide the option to turn off 1-click payments on digital content. My son clicked the "Buy this episode $1.99" button instead of the "Prime Instant Video watch now $0.00" button, and the payment immediately was authorized even though I had 1-click payments turned off in my settings. After calling Amazon for a refund, it was explained to me that 1-click payment is the only option, other than a gift credit in an account, for all digital content. The site doesn't even have a PIN option, like they have on my Tivo HD.

I don't give my toddler unbridled and unsupervised access. He was in my lap, but I got up to get something from the kitchen, the episode ended, and he quickly clicked for the next episode (he's been watching us and has figured out how to select, play, pause, full-screen, normal screen).

Posted on Aug 27, 2011 3:19:09 PM PDT
Jake says:
Okay, my wife put a kid's program from the free Prime Instant Videos selection to play on my notebook computer for my toddler to watch right here at the table in the kitchen while we make dinner. Our toddler fiddles with the computer and just like that my credit card is charged for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video! This is the second time that this has happened! Amazon needs to add an optional PIN authorization for digital items, as well as parental controls. It's ridiculous that 1-click payment is required for digital content. If Amazon doesn't fix this, I doubt that I'll be picking up one of their rumored tablets.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 10:17:19 AM PDT
mommyfixit says:
We do all of the things that you have mentioned. However, there are times when we aren't around. Our older children are home by themselves sometimes, and we would like to keep inappropriate content out of sight. It isn't that I think they would disobey us and watch something that they know is off limits, but even the suggestive titles and pictures on many of these shows is inappropriate for them while browsing for something to watch. Amazon should think of parental controls as an added value. Nobody is asking for them to babysit our kids, just to provide the same value as other services. As it is right now, I don't allow access to Amazon Prime Instant Videos to my children, and if I hadn't purchased Prime for the free shipping, I wouldn't have bothered with it at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 7:31:36 PM PDT
Joe Edwards says:
And you are with your children 24/7?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 7:33:22 PM PDT
Bruce Kessel says:
I thought you could assign a 5 digit pass code to authorize 1 click video purchases.

Maybe this is new, but its there.

I'm just not sure that works with "Free" videos from Amazon Prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:02:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 6:31:54 AM PDT
Jake says:
VvYou need to set up a five digit PIN code for Instant Video purchases on Tivos, smart TVs, and other such devices. However, on the browser, no.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 2:14:23 AM PDT
K. Leist says:
I'm voting for parental controls and having a choice to turn off one-click ordering. My son almost ordered a movie today. It was a family movie day as both kids are sick and I'm coming down with it. We have the computer set up to the TV, until we get our Roku Box. Anyhow, he wanted to look and pick his own movie. I explained how to find the movies he likes by going to kids and family menu... then he almost clicked the pay button and not the green free button. I almost did it yesterday! I really think it would be best if we had to put a pin in to purchase something. I would also like to be able to set a pin for anything rated more than G or anything not rated. I'm sad to hear that the Roku doesn't do this. It may have to go back. I might have to discontinue my amazon prime service and figure something else out. I also want a choice as to if I want to use my gift card balance or another payment method.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 12:45:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 12:45:52 PM PDT
mommyfixit says:
The Roku does have an option to enter a pin in order to be able to buy a movie. This board is regarding parental controls so that a movie that has already been ordered or is free with Prime can have some sort of parental control on it so kids can't watch things that are inappropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 1:32:55 PM PDT
K. Leist says:
I have prime as well... so it concerns me as well that there are no parental controls. Other people were asking on the board to have an option to turn the one click purchase off. To me that is another parental issue that needs to be addressed as it's too easy for kids and adults to push the wrong button. I let my kids watch movies for free on the laptop, my kids aren't quite old enough to realize that one button costs money while the other one doesn't. My son knows to ask me, if he doesn't know, but it's still too easy to make a mistake.

It's good to hear on the Roku for the ordering part, but what about just a parental control, so they can't see content above a certain rating if it's free? That's a huge concern with a 4 and 6 year old. That's what I wanted to know about on the Roku. If it doesn't, we may send it back, as my son will figure it out in a heartbeat. I don't want to be cooking dinner and be too late in catching something that he and my daughter shouldn't see.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 3:18:13 PM PDT
mommyfixit says:
There is no such rating control on the Roku. If you get Netflix on the Roku, you can put rating controls on your Netflix account. They have their own variety of dysfunction with their rating system, but it is better than nothing. The problem there is that there are a lot of shows that haven't been rated (like BBC movies, Pilates videos, etc.), so if you frequently want to watch one, you will have to leave the parental controls off most of the time. You can change them on the computer any time, but it takes up to 8 hours to filter back to your device. It is better than Prime, which has nothing, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 4:53:48 PM PDT
J. Whalen says:
thanks for a perfect summary of the problem, mommyfixit! You'd think a powerhouse tech company like Amazon would be able to solve this one . . . but when i talked to their tech support they just shrugged their virtual shoulders. Also can't figure out why Netflix's system needs an 8 hour lag . . . i guess we've all been spoiled by instantaneous communications over the web for so long. . . .

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 5:26:56 PM PDT
B. Forsgren says:
Just another request for a content filter. I prefer Amazon VOD over Netflix, but the lack of this feature is a deal breaker. Please Jeff Bezos. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum (963 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  134
Total posts:  243
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2011
Latest post:  May 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 49 customers

Search Customer Discussions