Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

Closed Captioning on Amazon Prime Instant Videos?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 208 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 3:45:02 AM PST
Zeeshan Syed says:
Is there closed captioning available on Prime videos? I am using my PS3 but will be happy to connect my laptop to my TV if that means I can get CC. Naturally, I tried looking for it first before I came here to seek help but I can't find it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 9:29:11 AM PST
I am in the same exact situation.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 2:30:18 PM PST
Zeeshan Syed says:
I did some research and it seems that the feature you and I are looking for is not really there. Such a shame! Amazon needs to sort this asap.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 12:31:20 AM PST
Sara says:
Also waiting for this feature.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 6:48:10 AM PST
Kathy Rudkin says:
I don't understand why they can't captioning on all their movies. Netflixs does it. Every DVD you buy of the movie has captioning. Hulu even has captioning.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 3:13:17 PM PST
No closed caption?! that's terrible :(

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 4:59:04 PM PST
Ann says:
We just signed up for Amazon Prime. I am hard of hearing and settled down to watch some videos but to my dis-satisfaction there is no closed caption. Netflix has it as does others. This is a big disapointment so i will not be sticking with Amazon Prime when my free month is up.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:46:54 PM PST
Janna says:
It is a disgrace that big, rich amazon ignores the need of its hard-of-hearing customers. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube ... Why not giant amazon? I think they want to soak us for the price of a DVD instead of including CC with prime.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:22:43 PM PDT
D. Wieneke says:
The new FCC rules, which are a result of the CVAA, will be implemented in four stages beginning on September 30, 2012.

FCC rule 47 C.F.R. § 79.4(b):

Requirements for closed captioning of Internet protocol-delivered video programming. All nonexempt full-length video programming delivered using Internet protocol must be provided with closed captions if the programming is published or exhibited on television in the United States with captions on or after the following dates:

(1) September 30, 2012, for all prerecorded programming that is not edited for Internet distribution, unless it is subject to paragraph (b)(4) below.

(2) March 30, 2013, for all live and near-live programming, unless it is subject to paragraph (b)(4) below.

(3) September 30, 2013, for all prerecorded programming that is edited for Internet distribution, unless it is subject to paragraph (b)(4) below.

(4) All programming that is already in the video programming distributor's or provider's library before it is shown on television with captions must be captioned within 45 days after the date it is shown on television with captions on or after March 30, 2014 and before March 30, 2015. Such programming must be captioned within 30 days after the date it is shown on television with captions on or after March 30, 2015 and before March 30, 2016. Such programming must be captioned within 15 days after the date it is shown on television with captions on or after March 30, 2016.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:05:01 PM PDT
Happy Ness says:
Very sad closed captioning is not available on Amazon. I will stick with Netflix going forward until resolved

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 12:32:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2013 12:33:35 PM PDT
Marco says:
Hello all, captions are available on Amazon Prime for certain movies and tv shows. Downton Abbey also has captions.
I turn it on using my Roku box amazon app by selecting the episode then selecting: watch trailer, captions and more

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 6:44:45 AM PDT
susannetic says:
I'm not sure how Amazon is getting away with this captioning void. As a gazillion dollar worldwide conglomerate, they are obviously choosing to ignore their deaf and hard of hearing customer base. Along with breaking the law, it's bad business. Shame on you, Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 12:01:16 PM PDT
arborico says:
Interesting... just tried last night to use captions on A-prime for Downton Abbey and it is not available using our fancy new Panasonic devices (TV & Blu-ray player via Panasonic Viera Connect). We we're using the Roku box before the HD TV arrived. May have to go back to the Roku platform if necessary. Geeeshh!! Another difference between those 2 devices is that the Roku would remember which episode was last played while Viera Connect does not. Have to mark it down by hand or remember, I guess. How lazy, right? ;)

Posted on Mar 30, 2013 3:42:07 PM PDT
Christine says:
If Amazon Prime would have disclosed that closed captioning is not supported we would not have purchased. We will be canceling at end of free month. Nothing worse than sharing our home with senior parents who are hard of hearing and we can't watch TV together! Ridiculous. We have loved Amazon as long as I can remember, as well as friends and family. In fact, have NEVER heard one cross word about them until now.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 10:31:13 AM PDT
Jo says:
Amazon are you reading any of this??? Since it's all about business, why can't you look at closed captioning as a smart addition to the instant video subscription? More money for you since it will attract so many more subscribers. You would trump over Netflix and Hulu combined since Prime also provides free two-day shipping on many of your items along with that. Knock, knock..helllooo.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 12:06:40 PM PDT
Sally T says:
Wish I could give some help...none to give except to say I am in the same boat. Because of Amazon's continuing neglect of hearing-impaired viewers, it has become my last resort for online viewing.

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 1:34:04 PM PDT
Sazzie says:
I think it stinks Amazon does not allow Closed Caption. Should be against the law.

Posted on Apr 16, 2013 11:42:59 PM PDT
After living in an area next to a busy road, highway, *and* train tracks, we became accustomed to watching all of our TV and movies with captions. Neither I nor my partner are hearing impaired, yet I prefer to watch everything with captions to be able to follow mumbly actors or complex exposition. I recently got a free month of Prime and decided to watch The Hunger Games on the Playstation 3. Well, it's the first time in a long while we've watched a movie without captions BECAUSE THERE WAS NO OPTION TO TURN ON CAPTIONS! PLEASE fix this issue, Amazon. I was considering buying a full year of Prime, but this will definitely prevent me from doing so.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 12:23:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2013 12:36:40 AM PDT
Gaby says:
I don't think that not having close captioning should be against the law. I have had Prime ever since it was offered, many years. We love the free videos but just don't use it much anymore simply because most things we want to see do not have closed captions.

Using Directv or AT&T we know that we can have CC. So if you want my video business, I require CC. I love Amazon and this has been my biggest disappointment.

Posted on Apr 21, 2013 3:49:55 PM PDT
CJnRae says:
What I find interesting is that I can get closed captioning with my Kindle Fire but not with my Sony blu-ray/DVR system. My husband is hard of hearing and prefers to watch movies on the big screen.

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 8:37:57 AM PDT
james beall says:
I am in Germany and want to view videos on my prime acct but get a msg that the videos are not available in "my country"(Germany). Anyone know why?

Posted on Apr 28, 2013 6:46:23 PM PDT
Another disappointed customer who would like to have CC. It's really inexplicable that Amazon would not offer it while so many other streamers do. I signed up for the trial period to watch Downton Abbey, and was very disappointed that it was not available to better understand what those English actors were saying. I was even more disappointed when I learned that Amazon had exclusive rights to future seasons of Downton despite this deficiency. Used headphones, but CC is a must for me and I didn't activate the trial membership. This customer will not sign up for it until he is confident that they offer this feature to the same extent as Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 4:02:39 AM PDT
Zeeshan Syed says:
James, you should ask someone at Amazon Help (http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=gw_m_b_he/182-4669168-9603540?ie=UTF8

Posted on May 11, 2013 9:50:08 AM PDT
John S. says:
The National Association for the Deaf sued Netflix under the Americans with Disabilities Act for failing to provide closed captioning on streaming video. Netflix agreed to provide closed captions on 100% of its instant viewing offerings by 2014. Maybe it is time for somebody to take legal action here as well?

Posted on May 12, 2013 7:05:29 PM PDT
golofio says:
No CC! I want a refund.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  92
Total posts:  208
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions