Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Amazon Instant Video forum

No Amazon Instant Video for PS3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 199 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2011 9:06:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2011 4:36:25 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
As a long time Amazon Prime Member as well as a longer time owner of the Sony PS3, it infuriates me that Amazon does not seem interested in allowing customers to access their content via the PS3. I can rent/watch VuDu movies. I can (and do) subscribe to Netflix via the PS3 (I find myself watching as much Netflix content as I do gaming these days) and I can (though I don't see why I would) purchase or rent movies/TV shows via the Sony Playstation Store. Of course, I also purchase BluRays to watch on my PS3 (they look and sound fantastic on my Sony Bravia XBR/Yamaha/Infinity Kappa 7.1 Home Theater System).

Netflix, VuDu (Walmart) and Sony all seem to want my business in regards to my non-gaming entertainment. Why doesn't Amazon want to reward PS3/Amazon Prime Members the same way they do Xbox/Amazon Prime Members? Why the double-standard?

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 8:13:17 AM PDT
PVW says:
I get Amazon videos through my Sony blue ray player - not sure what the problem is with the PS3. But the first place you should go to find out what's going on is Sony since they are responsible for the software/options/content on their devices.

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 8:58:33 AM PDT
I was all excited about the Amazon streaming, but we use the PS3 for Blu-ray in the family room. We do have also have a Sony Blu-ray 3D, but it's not hooked up currently in our main system. We are lucky enough to also have a Windows Media Server, but it would be so much more convenient to use the PS3. Guess it's back to Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 4:25:42 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
We're in the same boat. I called Amazon about becoming partnering with Sony's PS3 platform like they did with Microsoft's XBox. They said they'd "Consider it" for the future.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 4:31:43 AM PDT
Put me on that boat as well. Since PS3 is a good blu-ray player, I really don't want to buy another player just to get amazons instant video. I know you can use Play on to do it, but that's $40. So I guess I'll stick with Netflix until Amazon decides to get on board with the PS3.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 7:59:03 AM PDT
The X360 solution for Amazon Instant Video is quite pathetic. You have to use your computer and first download the content to your computer drive and then you can stream it to your TV via X360 using either DLNA (sucks bad) or Media Center (much better interface but still issues of stability even when using Wireless N or Gigabit due to other clogs on Network on your Computer Hardware having bottlenecks).

The best cheapest way to get Amazon Instant Video on your TV right now is through a simple cheap device like Roku (which has an HD version for 20-30 bucks more). Sony has their own such cheaper player, and then you have more expensive devices like Google TV or Apple TV which suck compared to the simple little Roku.

The last way that this works well is if Amazon publishes an App to PS3, X360, Samsung Smart TV, etc. that is basically the same as having the App on Roku. Amazon just hasn't added those Apps for the game consoles yet focusing in other areas which was a bad choice, because as per Nielson Ratings streaming content audience is either on PC / Mac or Game consoles. Focusing on Blu-Ray players, TV Apps, Mobile / iPad Apps, has less than decimal % of users combined when compared to PC / Mac or Game Consoles.

I sent the Nielson Ratings report to Amazon and specifically to Jeff Bezos and at least in response they received the info favorably and will be working to bring their Instant Video service to game consoles like X360, PS3, and even Wii as a higher priority than they have done so far.

Wii btw has the most use of streaming Netflix among the game consoles even though it doesn't support Netflix HD streaming. I personally prefer the PS3 most because of the better picture/sound but I understand there are more Wii's out there and using the Wii remote to console the interface and having the Netflix Channel does make it more accessible for more users.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 4:56:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2011 4:57:38 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
Cameron, I didn't realize the X360 process for Amazon Instant Video was so complicated. That is bizarre. I'm thinking about purchasing a Roku for my Sharp AQUOS in our Master Bedroom. I'd like to be able to kick back in the evenings and watch some old shows and movies before hitting the sack and I don't have a PS3 in the bedroom (I like remaining married). Either way, I hope Amazon will take the Nielson data seriously and move forward on coupling their Instant Video over to the game consoles.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 10:36:07 AM PDT
MR BUMP says:
I have to somewhat disagree here. Yes the unbox download method to watch on the 360 is not perfect but it beats paying the absurd high pricing on Zune.

Using Media center or DLNA is not great, that's the Xbox's crappy support for Microsoft's own WMV format. The process can be a little slicker if you configure a 3rd party Media Server like PS3MediaServer as it has better format support.

We are here blaming Amazon, however Sony and Microsoft have there own rental services and don't want cheaper competition so I highly doubt Amazon is at fault.

The 20 minute wait for a download @ $3.99 vs Zune prices is a no brainier.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 11:03:10 AM PDT
K. P. Girard says:
We watch Amazon VOD on our PS3 via a program called PlayOn that runs on our computer. Just a one time fee and a reasonable one at that, and it's yours. It will also allow you to stream Hulu through your PS3. We've had it for about three years now and it's been worth every penny.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 12:45:50 PM PDT
MR BUMP says:
K. P. Girard, Thanks!

I just download and it does work with prime. It took some messing with the firewall so my 360 would see it. But it works with Amazon Prime, the quality is pretty good too. It's a good solution.

I do think $80 is a little pricey though. I'm more of an open source guy and prefer linux so I'll look around and see if there are any similar projects. But for anyone willing to pay $80 I can confirm it's a great solution and works well.

Great post, thanks again. I'll post back if I find any free or open software.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 12:44:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 19, 2011 12:46:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 12:47:14 PM PDT
B3 says:
Add me as another customer who would like to access Amazon VOD through my PS3. I already have too many devices competing for too few HDMI inputs so I don't really want another device.

I am about half way through my first year on Amazon Prime. Not sure if I will renew so I thought I would check out the benefit of getting VOD. Too bad it doesn't work for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 1:21:54 PM PDT
Well, I am wary of PlayOn's "one-time fee" as I was a customer way before most people were and I paid a lifetime fee. Within a year, they proceeded to make improvements and then wanted to charge me again if I wanted full access. It was a huge pain anyway and nowhere near as seamless as Netflix streaming through Ps3. I've cancelled my Netflix account because of the recent price hike and would love to use Amazon Prime but they need to make it more user-friendly. Too bad they weren't plugged in to know that this was coming down with Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 3:16:45 PM PDT
K. P. Girard says:
We never had a problem. We paid for PlayOn early on as well, and went through upgrade and never paid anymore for it.

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 12:03:26 PM PDT
Julie Roger says:
Just quit Netflix and was looking for an alternative. I would totally join Amazon if I could stream through my PS3. For now I guess I will rent movies On Demand but I hate the idea of giving my cable company any more money. Get on it Amazon!

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 5:02:59 PM PDT
Is this because Netflix is the customer of Amazon cloud service ?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:01:08 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
I wouldn't think so. Netflix is available on the Xbox360 as is Amazon Instant Video. Amazon seems to view making their service available on the PS3 as a low priority. My hope is that if enough people contact Amazon and ask them to work with Sony via the PS3, that they will do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:33:56 PM PDT
MR BUMP says:
Amazon Instant Video is not available for 360. It's a workaround not an official channel/app as such. The only reason it works is due to the Amazon video download format being ASF (WMV/WMA). You can then watch it via the media center or video programs.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 6:47:46 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
"It's a workaround not an official channel/app as such."

That is Hilarious!

Perhaps someone should tell that to Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/xbox

Maybe they could alter the "Watch Our Videos on Your Xbox 360" Header to start with?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 9:28:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2011 9:29:36 PM PDT
MR BUMP says:
Sure if something works you're gonna promote it. It works because luckily (or purposely) the downloads are in windows media format. It's by no means a clean solution like Netflix or Hulu on the 360 or a licensed feature that requires the gold live membership. This does not work for prime videos as they are stream only.

You're actually in a better position on the PS3 to have everything and anything working thanks to geohot. Google it if you don't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 4:22:16 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
"Sure if something works you're gonna promote it. It works because luckily (or purposely) the downloads are in windows media format. It's by no means a clean solution like Netflix or Hulu on the 360 or a licensed feature that requires the gold live membership."

You don't seem to understand business very well. Do you believe that a Multi-Billion Dollar Company has a page on their website (a website that gets the traffic of millions of people) all based on a random or accidental occurence/coincidence with their product and with ANOTHER Companies product?

By using Netflix and/or Hulu as examples, you are confusing different types of products. Netflix, Hulu and even VuDu are established products. Amazon is stepping gingerly into the Instant Video world. They offer said product free of charge to those of us who are Amazon Prime Members. This isn't by accident. They do so to assess the product and the usage of said product to an established and loyal customer base. For example, NOT having Amazon Instant Video access on my PS3 has ZERO impact on my Amazon Prime Membership. I had the Membership (since 2005) before they offered their Video service and I would have it long after they scraped the product. A company like Amazon makes a BUSINESS DECISION when they INTENTIONALLY decide to offer their Videos via Xbox (due to the amount of users of the Xbox most likely).

Calling said business decision a "Workaround not an official channel/app as such" begs incredulity when placed alongside the other decisions made by Planet Earth's Number ONE Internet Retailer. When a company like Amazon makes a business decision and offers it's product via one of the largest video game platforms, it is looking 10 to 15 years down the road and planning/preparing for what they have in store next to maintain/increase profitablity for their company.

Understanding this, my focus and reason for starting this thread is to get as many people as possible to put pressure on Amazon to show us PS3 users some love and offer their service to the PS3 as explicitly as they do for Xbox. I know very well how streaming works on the PS3, I simply want more bang for my hard-earned bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 5:41:11 PM PDT
MR BUMP says:
I did not post here to start an argument only to offer input, I think you misunderstood me.

My point was if you stick a supported video in a network shared folder you can play it back. Obviously a Microsoft console will playback a Microsoft video format. Maybe you should be asking Sony to support the WMV video format.

I'd also love a better method for playback on my 360, an integrated channel that plays prime videos or streams my purchases instantly.

I'll just leave it at that as I'm a software developer with no interested in arguing about business matters.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 5:59:46 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 6:06:41 PM PDT
MR BUMP says:
lol, you just don't let up.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 6:09:45 PM PDT
The Rentman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Amazon Instant Video forum

This discussion

Participants:  121
Total posts:  199
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2011
Latest post:  May 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions