Customer Discussions > Anime DVD forum

Cowboy Bebop Remix Anime Legends Box Set (Is mine bootleg?)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2012 10:21:04 AM PDT
So I purchased this box set from seller: StandingOvation, and I received a transparent dvd case instead of a box version with the same cover as the box set. There are 6 dvds enclosed and the dvds themselves are not bootleg, as they have 6-digit codes in the inner circle area. I'm wondering if the item is legit, or if it's bootleg since it is in a dvd case instead of a fatter box set.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:12:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 6:13:05 AM PDT
John C. Wear says:
The fact that it came in a six disk set is a good indication that the set is legit, since most 24-26 episode bootlegs come in a three-disk package. Another thing you can check for is a region code. Legit North American releases will be usually be coded for region 1, while bootlegs will be region 0, or regionless.

Iirc, Robert's Anime Corner Store has a pretty good article on how to spot a bootleg product.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:17:17 AM PDT
Tyvm, where on the case is the region code displayed?

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 1:54:30 PM PDT
John C. Wear says:
You should be able to find it in the block that contains things like age ratings, the DVD symbol, the Dolby Digital symbol, etc. On my copy of "Cowboy Bebop" the region code 1 is in a small box with the NTSC acronym right below it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:19:19 PM PDT
Oh ok awesome. I found the region code and it is indeed region 1. Does this mean that the casing is most likely legit as well? I have never seen Cowboy Bebop cased in this manner, as the standard boxed set is about as thick as 2 dvds and mine is only as thick as 1.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:24:45 PM PDT
John C. Wear says:
My best guess, given that the set comes on six disks and the region code on the box is 1, is that you have a legit set. Most likely, Bandai has just issued a reprint, and you got one of the newer copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:31:58 PM PDT
wow that's a relief, I was worried that I got a bootleg version of my favorite anime ever...which would kind of suck. Thanks for the help buddy.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:49:07 PM PDT
John C. Wear says:
No problem. Glad I could help.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:43:40 AM PDT
Punkguy95 says:
hmm well i bought it about 3 years ago and mine came in a bigger case and i havent heard of a reprint but who knows

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:31:46 PM PST
M. Smullen says:
Also just purchased one from same seller, got same product, and had same reaction. Was wondering if you ever found an answer to your query?

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 8:26:57 PM PST
Sean Farrell says:
It's legit, I've seen the transparent thin cases in a local retail store.

Posted on Feb 7, 2014 2:01:49 PM PST
Ghost says:
There are people out there making 1:1 copies of Anime Legends and Discotek Media's releases.

The final test to see if your DVDs are bootleg or not, is to put it in your computer and check it. These clear case bootleggers are using DVD-5 discs for their bootlegs, meaning the max they can write on these discs is 4.75 Gigs. If your DVDs are greater than that size, you're good.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/y3YzgaC.png

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2014 10:42:34 PM PST
Snarfs says:
Thanks for this solution. I practically just ordered one from someone who specifically said it was an authentic release. Can't wait to pop one of those discs into my pc and then realize I'm going to have to return it. How annoying...I may repost with my results.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 10:47:15 AM PST
Ghost says:
I think there may have been a retail release that had clear casing for Cowboy Bebop. If there was a list of pressings Bandai did for their series, it would make it a lot easier to know for sure.

If you bought it new, it'll come with a security sticker.
Clear casing is a good warning sign that it may be a bootleg.
Of course, checking the discs' properties is going to be your ultimatum.

I just hope more people know about the bootleg situation with Anime Legends sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 1:07:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2014 1:25:30 PM PST
Snarfs says:
So I got my Cowboy Bebop Anime Legends today. The case is clear and regular sized and had a security sticker.

Put it into my PC and here's what I got:

BD-RE Drive (E:) COWBOY_BEBOP
0 bytes free of 7.36 GB

HOWEVER. The printing on the DVDs themselves seemed a bit cloudy...without having 100% real ones I couldn't really compare to anything. I could just be crazy though haha.

I then compared the text on the back of case (warning and Dolby info, stuff like that...white on black) and it's very noticeably blurrier than other Bandai releases of the same time. The text on all of my Bandai stuff is very crisp. Maybe these are just really really good fakes. If you're wondering what I compared the text to...here they are: Gundam 8th MS team, Haruhi and .Hack Sign...all of which are Anime Legends. I suppose it's possible that the printing for this re release was just lower quality but it's also strange that these clear cases are just popping up by the barrelful right now. I don't know. Maybe i'll send Bandai and email and see if I get a response...if I do I'll post here.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 1:10:30 PM PST
Ghost says:
You should be good. I don't think these guys put security stickers on their stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2014 1:46:47 PM PST
Snarfs says:
That was fast...I edited my post. You may not have seen it. Either way I just figured I would take the two seconds and send Bandai an email...If I had to bet, I would say they're going to have no idea. We'll see...

Posted on Feb 18, 2014 2:52:25 PM PST
Snarfs says:
Here's what I got:

As of March 31, 2013, Bandai Entertainment Inc. ceased its business operations and had not being selling items for around a year. We are unable to further respond to any email or phone inquiries on their behalf.

Perhaps you could check with an Anime or import specialty shop to authenticate product.

Apologies,

Customer Service
Bandai America Inc.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Anime DVD forum (145 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Anime DVD forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions