Customer Discussions > Anime DVD forum

Monster Rancher on DVD - Would You Buy It?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2011 1:51:04 PM PDT
Okay, here's a couple super cereal questions (followed by some details):

Would you be willing to buy Monster Rancher on DVD, and how much would you pay per set?

If you are interested, would you only get one season, just for nostalgia, or would you want to get the entire series?

DETAILS:
It would be released in three separate season sets, with brand new conversion from the Digital Betamax masters. There would be both the original Japanese audio with the uncut footage, as well as the English dub with the edited footage.
There most likely wouldn't be any bonus features, as it has never been released past the first 7 episodes in the U.S. before.

Oh yeah, and this would be exclusively for sale in the U.S. due to licensing restrictions.

Thanks,

Aaron Grommesh

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:02:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2011 2:04:06 PM PDT
P. Marck says:
Maybe $10 or $15 at max for each part for the complete series.

Monster Rancher isn't my favourite anime, but I'd buy it to watch it (Audio: Japanese / Subs: English).

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 2:16:00 PM PDT
Catherine W. says:
I still have my original Monster Rancher DVDs which I bought way back when they were originally released, I'd love to finally have the full series. I'd probably pay about $20 for each season set. Maybe more if they had the Japanese audio track/English sub option.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 2:37:02 PM PDT
As I said, it would have both the edited English and uncut Japanese versions.

They would be completely new renders directly from the original Digital Betacam masters, so likely these will never go for less than $20 unless there is more interest than I think there is.

Having both versions makes it have about seven discs per set, so it will be hefty.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 6:42:10 AM PDT
P. Marck says:
An anime series I'd like to see released subbed (and dubbed for kids) would be 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (also known as Marco).

This sort of anime rarely ever gets seen in the US, it's mainly just action, fighting, zombies, shooting.

Marco is in search of his mother and one day finds her, through the way he encounters many challenges, I personally love this series and would definitely buy it.

I wouldn't mind paying $30 for each box, let's say it'd be two, as the series has 52 eps in total, the price would end up being $60 for 2 DVD-BOX's.

People in US need to let go off of Dragon Ball Z and open their eyes for "new" animes.

I couldn't find the Japanese Marco, so here's the Spanish which is pretty good too:

http://youtu.be/e-zrSzWKkNo

Other animes:
- Crayon Shin-chan (as per the original Japanese, not the americanized version by FUNimation)
- Heidi, Girl of the Alps
- The Three Musketeers
- The Wonderful Adventures of Nils

I'm a Dragon Ball fan but having watched it for the last 20 years it's time to let go, once I'm done watching Dragon Ball Z Kai Parts 7-8 and Dragon Box Z 7, Dragon Ball's over for me.

People in US call themselves "anime watchers" but all they've just been watching was one to two/three genres at max, and this isn't enough.

I'll be honest, I'd be interested on Monster Rancher but it's not of an anime series I'd desire to essentially buy (Marco I'd definitely!).

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 9:05:35 PM PDT
Bryan Willis says:
If there were enough episodes per box set, i'd buy it. Now, I do actually have a 7 episode disc I bought from walmart in their 1$ section. Qualitys, alright? But, enough to satisfy. If they included 30-40 episodes per box-set for 20-30 bucks, i'd do it. Considering the orange brick dbz sets can be bought for 15$ with 30 or so episodes, it sounds reasonable.

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 2:47:39 PM PDT
Epsilon says:
I'd definitely be interested in a release of Monster Rancher. As long as it's got the original audio with English subs included, I'd be sold on the entire series.

$25 a set sounds about what I would reasonably pay for a set, but would be willing to pay more as a collector if the packaging and discs were well designed. It really all depends on that for me. Good design could easily push it up another $20.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 5:35:35 PM PST
Goliath2k says:
I too would be interested in a release of Monster Rancher! I'd probably buy it for nostalgia reasons (I've actually never seen the entire show end to end, so it'd be a great experience).

According to Wikipedia, the Monster Rancher Anime has 73 episodes, so 3 sets would probably have about 25 episodes each, I think that $25-30/set is fair for an older series with no bonus features or uncut dub. With an uncut English dub feature I'd be willing to pay an extra $5-10, since that would presumably involve some redubbing of whatever scenes were deleted.

I would be interested in buying the entire series.

You might want to consider doing the DVD-on-demand printing thing, that sounds pretty good IMO, then you don't have to worry about overstock and inventory and all of that, it's pretty much pure profit (as long as you price accordingly to take care of the distributor's cut). I think Amazon even owns CreateSpace, which is one such publisher, so maybe that's worth checking out...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 1:44:03 PM PST
I loved that series back when it aired in the mornings before school (it was probably one of my earliest forays into anime). I don't recall it well enough to say whether I would definately enjoy it still but I to this day find myself thinking about how I wished I could have seen the entire series which is bizarre considering it was an obscure series that never had a big release stateside. I am also a huge fan of the games. It seems that funimations late fascination with picking up old titles from other studios would make this right up their alley. I would probably buy it without question.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:35:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 11:40:30 PM PST
I really enjoyed this show when it aired, and was never able to see the ending...I am a big buyer of dvd series for nostalgic reasons, so I would be willing to pay $20-30 per season...it would definitely land on my "to buy" list if I heard that legitimate sets were being released. I would at least end up buying the first 2 seasons, because I know there is a story arc through them, but I don't know if it carries into the third...I would still probably look into the third season, but it wouldn't have as high of a priority for me, if my understanding is correct about it being a different story/characters.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 10:17:45 PM PST
Liz Barillas says:
I'd definitely buy Monster Rancher if a boxset came out, I loved that show as a kid, I also wanted to see the third season which was never aired in the U.S. I'd want the English dub and the Japanese audio. I'd be willing to pay about $20 per boxset. All 73 episodes must be present, some didn't air on U.S. network like the battle between Tiger and his brother.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 9:13:13 AM PST
MajinStylee says:
If the whole series will be released, I'd buy the releases. $30-40 would be my ideal price point for each set that's released. I loved Monster Rancher when I saw it as a kid on my local UPN station. The dub was very charming IMO

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:16:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 1, 2011 10:16:45 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:59:17 PM PST
R. Arnold says:
I personally would not buy it, and I... would not trust the majority of people who say they would buy it.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:05:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 3:14:13 PM PST
J. O. says:
I probably would, even though I only really caught this when it was on TV.... oh how many years ago.
I'd buy it, as long as it wasn't overpriced. If released in full seasons, which are 26-22-25 episodes respectively.
If offered with full eng/jpn dub and in uncut/unedited format I might pay up to $25 to $40 at most per season. If not uncut and no jpn dub then even less maybe max of $25 per season.

Anyone not familiar with the series, or others like it, here's a little preview.
Once upon a time, there were these companies that felt like they could cut animes to hell and back and slap them on saturday mornings line-up and idiot kids wouldn't know the difference. Well, the kids didn't even notice... hell they didn't even watch them because part of what had made them popular in their original versions was now cut out completely. (Cardcaptors, One Piece, or Sailor Moon anyone?)
Sorry, got a little off topic there.

Like I was saying, I'd be more willing to pay the higher price if they released it uncut. Just like I did with One Piece. And speaking of, can't wait for them to release some more of that.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 7:03:34 PM PST
Goliath2k says:
Hiya,

Has there been any update on this? And I'm curious, have you considered using CreateSpace to produce these Monster Rancher DVDs? It looks like it's an on-demand printing company owned by Amazon which does both Video and Books, and since it's OnDemand you wouldn't have to worry about inventory issues and all of that. Sounds like a win/win in my book!

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:29:39 PM PST
I would buy Monster Rancher, Beyblade, and Digimon as a box set. I think a sync with the original Japanese video with the English voices would be nice. I'm not a fan of watching things in Japanese. I only have a few things that aren't dubbed. As far as I know, they dubbed every episode, but most likely never aired them all, just like they did with Card Captors.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:29:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2012 5:39:16 PM PST
J. O. says:
I'm sorry if it sounds off topic but, I have a point so bear with me...

I recently got Code Lyoko Season 1 (6 Disc Set) , which is now being distributed thru amazon's on-demand service and am somewhat disappointed in it... particularly the fact that they don't have chapter points anywhere in them except between episodes. And no real options either... English is the only language and no subtitles at all.

Sorta reminds me of a Ranma 1/2 season I got on ebay 'many years ago'. I'm pretty sure it was a 'knock-off'. I was young and didn't know any better... I'm sorry :(, OK.
Anyway, it had the english/japanese dub track but just like the one mentioned above, it only had chapters set at the beginning of each episode.
I just would have thought that being a new release, even if produced 'on-demand' would have a little bit better quality than something I got 10 or so years ago that was probably made by some bootlegger in China. For the record, I don't really purchase much on ebay anymore.

If you do decide to go with their 'on-demand' distribution, I would at least make sure they have a subtitle option and, providing it didn't cost 'you, the licensor' too much more, at least an extra or 2 on the dvd.
I for one really like to see the occasional dubbing bloopers reel. Even if its just 2-3 minutes per disc, they give fans a peek (figuratively) inside anime production that we hardly ever get to see.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 12:11:11 AM PST
They didn't air all the episodes in the U.S., but they did in Canada. Many episodes were only aired once in the U.S.
The DVDs would have two separate audio and video tracks, one for each language.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 12:18:09 AM PST
Using something like CreateSpace wouldn't be feasible, due to the number of DVDs needed to be printed per box set and the fees for using the service.
*Printing up 1,000 would be something like $4,000 by going through a printing company. Amazon's fees would end up being about $10,000. Total: $14,000
*Printing up 1,000 and selling them for $40 on Amazon would end up costing about $28 per set. Total: $28.000.

*Estimates don't represent actual costs - just used for explanation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 12:55:20 AM PST
I mentioned in the post above why going through Amazon's disc creation service is completely unfeasible. They take 45% of the sale price if sold on Amazon... In order to pay for new digital recordings of the show, I would need to decrease costs and potential costs as much as possible. If the show wasn't so heavily edited, I could get away with only taking the audio from one version, but to get the nostalgia and the hardcore fan factors, I need to get both cuts converted.

I also want to make sure that they are a sufficient level of quality. It makes no sense to charge people a premium for something and give them a shoddy product.

It needs to be a product that people love, as that is the only way one can sell anime anymore. You can get away with screwing customers in the music industry very easily, though. :)

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 4:36:36 PM PST
Goliath2k says:
Wow Aaron, thanks for answering my question! I didn't know that CreateSpace worked liked that...I thought it was more of a true 'on-demand' service. We print 1 disc, we charge you $x. It's a shame too, because something like that could truly revolutionize the industry, since it'd be at no risk to the publishers.

Anyway, you sound really dedicated Aaron, and it sounds like this is a real possibility, what you could consider doing is put up a "tentative" pre-order page, and send a press release to sites like ANN (Anime News Network) in order to better gauge fan input with the number of pre-orders.

Keep up the great work man! :-)

Oh yeah and BTW thanks Jared for telling me about Code Lyoko! I didn't know they put Seasons 2-4 on DVD!! I ordered them (already had Season 1).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 4:12:48 AM PDT
Yeah, CreateSpace is good for indie films and smaller projects. If I were selling each individual DVD over months, it seems like going through CreateSpace would be a great idea. But, yeah, I'd much rather have someone pay $100 for the full series than $250 just because I wanted to realize profit earlier.

I'll keep this thread updated on any new things that come up with this license.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:23:53 AM PST
Marluxia says:
I would buy the hole collection

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 2:29:28 PM PST
tsukasa_487 says:
would only consider if all "4" season release, it wouldn't matter to me for the forth season to be only in japanese since there wasn't a english dub to it, but would only buy if it was complete and not only 3 seasons
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Anime DVD forum (145 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Anime DVD forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions