Customer Discussions > Anime DVD forum

Why Are Anime DVDs So Expensive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 11:33:15 AM PST
Seriously. I had hoped to buy some of the seasons of "Ranma 1/2", but the first season alone costs $89 new, and even buying used would cost upwards of $30. How are these high prices justified?

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 12:50:57 AM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Considering you would pay 400-500 hundred us dollars after conversion of currency for such shows on blu ray i wonder what the justification for the high dvd cost in the USA is for such shows.

Maybe they are out of print and demand high resale prices from shady venders as is usually the case, or they are shows with a lot of episodes. Ranma shows are in SD on DVD and not restored or remastered. But most seasons are a lot more than 12 episodes.

Also dual audio Japan and English makes them expensive too.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 4:31:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 4:32:26 PM PST
Kai Satina says:
Ranma 1/2 is out of print and the prices you see are the sellers marking it up. Ranma 1/2 used/is to be popular and are box sets, so that's why it costs so much. Popular anime that go out of print are almost always marked up as OOP status tends to mean it's more "rare". There's no justification other than sellers wanting to get their money back (and then some).

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:47:12 AM PST
Kurohei says:
"Also dual audio Japan and English makes them expensive too." Fate/zero would like a word with you.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 4:45:09 PM PST
Ranma 1/2 on Blu-Ray would be awesome. I wish they would release it. Serial Experiments Lain was out of print, but was just recently released to Blu-Ray. I guess I can dream. I would buy them for sure. Paying extra for updated sound and picture quality would be worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2013 10:27:21 AM PDT
In japan, people will buy at these prices reguardless of how crazy they are. In japan, for anime to cost so much, seems to be a normal thing. When companies just translate the Japanese prices to american ones, it seems like tons of money. Because of that, and that anime is dying due to streaming, prices are constantly higher. Honestly to pay $70 just for 13 episodes, is insane (that's a price I pulled from volume 1 of naruto shippuden, so it isn't out of print). But, in japan, people will gladly buy anime at that price. I don't understand it.

Posted on Jul 23, 2013 10:02:01 PM PDT
I can understand paying premium prices for oop box sets, but the cost of new DVDs are crazy usually about the same as the blu-ray. This industry needs to go back to the singles format. I love to blind buy maybe I'm living back in 2003, but blind buying on a whole or a half season at 50-60 bucks a pop aint gonna happen. Now 20-25 dollars I can do that.

I myself paid sometimes 20-25 for one or two episodes back in the 90s, but that was back then, and there is no going back. A season of anime cost more than about any tv show per episode except maybe classic Dr Who. With streaming wanting 125+ for a season just isnt worth it anymore.

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 1:09:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2013 1:12:15 PM PDT
John C. Wear says:
If you watch the specials at RightStuf, you can often get a new release at 40% off, which brings the price for a season set (11-13 episodes) down to about $36. That's not unreasonable, and I definitely find that cheaper than picking up 3 volumes at $20 - $25 each, which is what we used to do when we got one volume at a time. Plus, this way you get a whole season at one shot, and you don't have to buy one volume, wait two months, buy another volume, wait two months, buy another volume... It took me a year to collect the second "Ah! My Goddess" series that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2013 10:58:37 PM PDT
A lot of time you only get 1/2 season at a time. I really like getting 4 episodes at a time, kinda like reading comics storyline or a regular tv show. Makes the wait and anticipation better. Would you like a whole season of Game of Thrones or Dr Who one night and it's over?

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 8:41:19 AM PDT
John C. Wear says:
Actually, when I buy American TV shows, I buy them one or more seasons at a time, and it doesn't bother me at all to watch them in marathon sessions. To each his own.

Posted on Aug 25, 2013 10:05:07 AM PDT
Ray says:
Ranma 1/2 will actually be getting a U.S. Blu-ray release from Viz Media, it was announced a few weeks ago. They'll also be airing it on Neon Alley soon.

Link -

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/viz-media-to-release-ranma-anime-on-bd/dvd

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 2:49:20 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Anime DVD forum (145 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Anime DVD forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions