Customer Discussions > Apple forum

Ipod touch 2nd generation vs 3rd generation????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2009 8:30:28 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
I am in the market to buy my first Ipod. I think I have settled on the touch, but am undecided between the 2nd and 3rd generation. Any opinions or advice for a never before Ipod owner?

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 10:15:49 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
Also, does anyone know if you can download kindle books to the ipod?

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 9:31:22 AM PDT
There is no 3rd generation. All they really did was add the software. I would suggest buying a refurbished one from Apple. You will be able to get a larger hard drive for the same price as the lower version.

And yes the iPod Touch can use Kindle books. It also has other applications for reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2009 10:53:19 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
TJ, do you just go directly to the Apple site to purchase refurbished ipods? Are there typically any risks to buying a refurbished one?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2009 3:14:53 PM PDT
You can download the Kindle application for the iPod Touch. I bought my ipod Touch for the Kindle application. Not only can you download Kindle but there is also eReader, NY Time, Wattpad, Audible, and books that are actual applications! I can't even put in words my love of book versatility on the touch. My only regret was not finding enough info on book reading when I was buying my iPod Touch and I got the 8 Gig version. I still have over 3 Gig left but I am looking at getting the 32 of 64 gig system because I am a book worm! While you can manage book storage, I usually read several books at the same time depending on the mood I am in. Therefore I like to have ALL of my books with me! I have used all the readers and they are all great! Cheers to iPod on versatility!

Posted on Oct 3, 2009 2:10:00 AM PDT
C. Franz says:
The differences between 3rd and 2nd gen are indeed minor. The biggest difference is that there is a 64GB version (not available for 2nd Gen), and that the 32 and 64 GB versiosn (the two that have the hardware) run slightly faster, and have the circuitry for 802.11n WiFi (although this is not enabled, and may well never be). Everything else is the same, a Touch smaller than 32 GB is not 3rd Gen. A refurbished Touch is a very smart way to go if you do not need the storage (64 GB).

-ch

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2009 12:47:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2009 1:07:21 PM PDT
phoneguy says:
The 32 and 64 gig models really are a third generation, they run faster, include a headphone with remote and microphone, and allow voice control of the device. Also have a better graphics chip, which games in the future will be taking advantage of. The 8 gig model was only updated with new firmware, which you can do yourself for 5 bucks. Looking at pricing and features, I just ordered the new 32 gig model.

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 9:38:12 AM PDT
ftw says:
Well the biggest problem with the 3rd generation software is that each time after you sync it, when you first try to play a song, it freezes and says "Updating library, this make take a few minutes," which can take anywhere from 2-10 minutes. This essentially makes it the worst mp3 player ever. Hopefully they fix this soon. Otherwise I hope Zune does some anti-ipod touch campaign about this glitch.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:22:46 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
OwlHoot8, you just addressed a question that no one can seem to answer for me. How many books will the 8 gig hold? I only read a couple at a time, so I certainly don't mind managing the books, but I was curious as to how much memory it uses and no one seems to be able to answer that particular question.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:26:52 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
Ch, how can I go about getting a refurbished ipod? I am really interested in purchasing a refurbished ipod.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:28:54 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
ftw, are you more of a Zune fan than the ipod?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 8:43:20 AM PDT
phoneguy says:
Tina,
If you look at descriptions of Kindle books, it shows the file size. For example, War and Peace shows 1,467 KB. Which is 1.5 megs. 8 gigs divided by 1.5 megs is over 5,000 books. So I would think the smallest Touch would have way more than you could ever use.

Refurbished units are sometimes available at http://store.amazon.com (lower left),
but the prices there don't seem like a good deal compared to the newer lower prices for 3G units. You could try eBay if that suites you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 9:14:16 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
Thanks for the advice. I use ebay a lot, so that may be the route I take.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 9:56:54 AM PDT
phoneguy says:
OK, good luck. Just keep in mind the amazon price is $190 for a new 3G 8gb, which includes a warranty, fresh battery, free shipping, latest software, and no scratches. I would think a fair price on a good 2G unit would be under $100, but a quick glance shows they're going for higher than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2009 10:08:46 AM PDT
Tina Marie says:
That is so good to know. Thank you. You have been more than helpful. I really appreciate it. I don't like to jump into something without researching it. You can research the specs, but let's face it word of mouth is also a very good way to get the real facts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 8:26:41 AM PDT
I have never had this happen on my 64gb Touch.

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 5:38:35 PM PDT
Paulo Cepeda says:
QUESTION: Any model of the Apple Nike + iPod Sport Kit is compatible with iPod nano (8Gb / 16Gb) 4th and 5th Generation?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2009 1:39:29 PM PDT
G. Goetz says:
I just bought a 2nd gen 16gb for $187.50 on EBay. I missed out on about 3 others I bid on and they went for over $200 (a 32gb went for $242) so I think I got a good deal. You just have to shop around and time your bid right. Wait till the last 30 seconds to submit your bid.

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 6:50:46 PM PDT
Tony Korody says:
you can get a refurb iPod Touch or for that matter any Mac from the Apple Store - look under specials. they come with a full warranty. btw as apple has stores in many states you could get zapped with sales tax

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 9:52:00 AM PDT
AlanC says:
I've bought a few refurbished iPods (and one laptop, too) directly from Apple's online store over the years and it really is the way to go. Every product I received looked brand new (and as noted in other posts, has the same warranty as a new item). The iPods all have new batteries, shells, and sealed earbuds (not that you'd want to use Apple earbuds, but that's a whole other conversation). Unless you need the 64GB Touch, a refurb (direct from Apple, not elsewhere) is a great choice.

Posted on Oct 23, 2009 10:30:36 AM PDT
apple charges way too much for refurbished i-touch and ipods... what is it like 15 maybe 20 dollars off a new one?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 10:49:45 AM PDT
AlanC says:
Last time I checked, it was $50 off a 8GB iPod Touch ($149). I think the 16GB is an even bigger savings, as they had it for $199, which is less than they often go for on eBay (where they are often scratched, dented, and warranty-less). On other iPods the discounts aren't always so hot, but given that these are essentially brand new Touches, hey, $50 is $50.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 6:53:07 PM PDT
Tina,

You can download a free Kindle for iPod app from iTunes' App Store. I have it and have read several books already on my iPod touch. I still want a Kindle though, but until Santa delivers that, the iPod touch with the Kindle app is a serviceable interim solution. As for buying the iPod, you want to get the latest generation because the latest apps being produced will be compatible with the latest generation iPod software. Also, get as much memory as you can afford; I have an 8 GB iPod Touch, but when I upgrade I will get the 64 GB to download all the content I want to carry around with me! Hope that helps in your purchase decision; I am very happy with my iPod and I only wish I had it bought it earlier!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2009 3:48:50 PM PDT
ftw - I'm not having the post-sync glitch you are mentioning. I have a new touch 64 and so far it's been fantastic.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 4:00:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2009 4:02:16 PM PDT
The Apple store currently has refurb'd Ipod touchs ranging from $139 for a 1st gen 8 GB to $249 for a 32 GB second generation. I agree these prices are fairly high compared to the new ones - but you aren't taking pot luck with quality when you buy direct from Apple vs winning one off an auction site.

I treated myself to a 3rd gen 64 GB recently and am very impressed. I've got about 100+ ebooks on it, several videos, 8 audio books (unabridged), about 350 songs and a bunch of apps and have used about 10GB including the operating system. I think a 32 GB would have worked fine. Good luck on your search.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Apple forum (92 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Apple forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Sep 30, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions