Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Artists forum

Canvas holder allowing painting edge to edge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2010 7:25:31 AM PST
Mosaic lover says:
Does anyone know of a gizmo that would hold the canvas or linen covered panel allowing to paint from edge to edge without the "lips" covering any part of the panel? I am looking for something that will fit inside a studio easel such as Best Abiquiu, or any large studio easel.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 6:23:11 AM PDT
st says:
I make my own from canvas stretcher bars that are several inches bigger that the painting, and attach 2 crossbars made from ferring strips. Then put screws through the ferring strips into the back of the stretcher bars of your stretched canvas (very carefully of course). Leave a bit of space between the ferring strips and the stretcher bars of the painting and you'll have the painting suspended away from the makeshift frame. Don't use your finger to act as spacer when you're screwing it in LOL ouch! Anyway it works great, you can handle the painting without touching it. Wouldn't work for a panel unless it was cradled. You have to be willing to have holes in your backing bars.

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 5:59:53 AM PDT
K. Funk says:
Check out the windmill easel. I saw this in action at a London art school and thought it was brilliant. There are several styles and even parts to make this your own. Good Luck

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 4:46:57 AM PST
Cricket says:
I use Velcro. Buy it in lengths and heavy duty. Cut long strips of one 'side' and stick to the surfaces on the easel using the adhesive side. These can stay on the easel permanently. Then, cut smaller pieces of the 'other side' of the Velcro and adhesive them to surfaces on your canvas bars, or the back of panels. Hold either up to easel - level and straight - when in desired height, and level, press the painting surface to the easel - hold there a moment, then let go and Voila'! Works great - studio, or plain air. When finished pull apart. If you keep some long Velcro strips in some other place, (like an upright wall in an suv) the same process works to transport.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2015 8:46:43 PM PST
I am going to try velcro tape...a small strip in the easel and a small strip on the back of the canvas frame..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Artists forum (4 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Artists forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 12, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions