Customer Discussions > Audio Book forum

Comment on Simply Audio Books Inc.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2008 12:13:23 PM PDT
P. Crossley says:
Hi all,

Like many of you, my wife is an avid audio book user during her commute times. For X-mas, I bought her a 3 month gift certificate for SimplyAudioBooks.com. I thought this would be a great service, but -- unfortunately -- in our situation it wasn't a great fit.

Some of the books she tried were abridged (w/o clearly being labeled so), her Patrick O'Brian audio books used all different voice characters than the ones we bought off the shelf, the turn-around time was seemingly long at times and in the end, they stuck us for an extra month beyond the initial gift certificate (read that "gift certificate" contract carefully.)

Maybe for other people the service will work wonderfully. It was a dissapointment for my family.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2008 10:50:45 AM PDT
MJG says:
Thank you for posting. I was considering this ... thought there must be a "catch". I also love my audiobooks, but they are so expensive ... especially the unabridged ones.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2008 11:55:43 AM PDT
L. Mahaney says:
I have been a member for a few months, I love it. Yesterday I noticed that Winter Study by Nevada Barr wasn't listed yet, I requested the unabridged version and it showed up as coming soon the next day. Yes the turnaround times can be painful but other than that, I've loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2008 10:41:15 PM PDT
Rick Rios says:
I have been a member of Simplyaudiobooks for over a year now and have been nothing but happy with them.On the rare occasion that there is a problem they are quick to fix it and if you click on the title of the book instead of just clicking on "add it to my shelf" it tells you whether it is abridged or not.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 6:22:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 15, 2008 6:22:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 6:30:53 PM PDT
NayNay says:
Try Recorded Books unlimited. The mail is rather slow (media mail), but it allows you to have 4 books out at a time. Most of the books are unabridged. It is rather slow about adding new releases, but it has a wide selection of authors.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008 7:03:29 AM PDT
try Aublie I have been with them for 2 years I download to my Ipod aonf plug my Ipod into my car, great service

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 2:33:49 PM PDT
Don Huck says:
In case you are interested, there is another Audio Book rental service called ComeHearBooks.com based in Colorado that you might want to try. They have all their books clearly listed as whether they are Abridged or Unabridged right next to the title. Also they send the full book out at one time via First Class Mail with return postage already included.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2008 1:50:22 PM PDT
B. Chandler says:
I have been a member of simplyaudiobooks for about 3 months and have to say that as a service provider they don't seem to have their act together. The list of titles is extensive, but this may be the only positive thing I have to say about SAB. Their web site indicates a 2 - 6 day delivery time. For the 6 titles I have received, all have arrived in 8 (business) days. Receipt time for SAB has been 5 - 6 business days, except one that took 10 days. Reporting one missing is also a problem - they will not show it missing (and thus ship your next title) until it has been missing for 10 days. Interestingly, when I complained, my missing title showed up on the 10th day.

In the last month I have seen evidence of delays in shipping after they receive a title back. Their web site indicates they will ship on the same day received. My last couple of titles has taken 3 days to be shipped. Inquiries into the delay are an interesting matter as well. Both times they suggested I need to have more titles queued up. Pointing out that their web site shows titles on my list with high availability doesn't seem to get any response (read ignored).

Inquiries (complaints and questions) also seem to be answered by staff using canned responses to general questions and don't completely answer the issue at hand. My last two messages (mostly addressing their missed service level agreement in shipping) have taken days to receive responses.

I do not recommend simplyaudiobooks and am reviewing other services.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2008 2:52:59 AM PDT
J. Moncrief says:
About three years ago I signed up to Jiggerbug.com. The first two years I kept a spreadsheet on all the books I checked out, and their original retail value as listed here on Amazon.com. For three audio books at a time for about 30 dollars a month, I was paying about 12 percent of retail price for renting the disks as opposed to buying them. They are a great service. I happily recommend them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 9:11:51 AM PDT
J. Wang says:
simplyaudiobooks lured me into their service with a free 2-week trial. Within 1 week I realized none of my selections were in stock, and nothing was getting sent to me. I requested a refund only 6 days after signup, but was denied because the trial was evidently not offered for the 1 book at a time service tier. So they charged me 1 full month even though I did not use their service!! Really terrible experience, all so they can keep $18. Says a lot about the company.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008 10:20:21 AM PDT
Lientje says:
I am glad to see this discussion. I have been considering signing up with
SimplyAudioBooks but what I consider to have been a disastrous situation
with AudioToGo.com I have been very hesitant. I have my wish list already
posted on their web site, but I have yet to send them my credit card number.
I think that if I do, it will be a new credit card for that service alone so that
I can yank it if I am not pleased with the service.

With AudioToGo they suggested a wish list of up to 50 items. And I discovered
why. Because you will never get your first 15 to 20 on the list unless they happen to be a book that NO ONE except yourself has ever heard of. Then they had a mailing service that went from their shop in Illinois to St. Louis and then to me. And I presume the returns went the same way. When I emailed them to cancel, they said I hadn't sent back the last book - which I had. I got
billed for 3 months before the cancellation actually took place and I think that
it had more to do with the fact that took I every one of my items off the wish
list. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I have a subscription with Netflix. They know what they are doing. If something comes up missing (as it did with me once out of the 450 movies
I have had from them so far) there were no questions asked. In fact, I wanted
to explain what I thought had happened but could not find a way to do it.
(I left it to be mailed from a hotel mailbox. I think someone decided at the
hotel to keep it for themselves. Amusingly, it was about the History of
Christianity. Hope they learned a lesson.)

I hope to hear more about Simply Audio. I'm addicted to audio books. I
use the subscription to Recorded Books faithfully, but I also want to branch
out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2008 10:35:30 PM PDT
Don Huck says:
You might want to check out another service called ComeHearBooks.com. They are a company based out of Colorado. I have had no problem with there service. The book are sent by first class mail and postage for the return is included. Great selection of the newest, hottest books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 4:10:31 PM PDT
S. Chan says:
Booksfree.com is a good service that I have used for over a year. They are based in Northern Virginia.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 2:50:15 PM PDT
WomanonFire says:
I currently use SimplyAudio books but have not been happy with the turn around time. Just FYI - Simply Audio Books is based out of Canada, thus the reason for long turn-around times. I began copying the book using my CD burner, then I send the CD's back to SAB. That way I can listen to the book and by the time I am done, another has arrived in the mail. Not exactly legal, but since I don't share or sell my copies, pretty harmless. Since these posts were so helpful to suggest some other companies, I am going to look into those ones instead. Comehearbook.com was suggested by several so I am trying them next.
I also believe they have a larger volume of abridged books than unabridged. At least the titles I look at anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2009 8:28:56 PM PST
Same here, with regard to Booksfree. Been with them for a year and they've treated me well. Great selection, in both CD and MP3, and choices for types of membership (# and type of audiobooks sent).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2009 8:21:51 PM PST
Public Library.

Enough said.

Posted on Feb 20, 2009 9:15:34 AM PST
C. Berkes says:
My public library has a pathetic selection of CDs and a vast selection of casettes. I don't even know where to find a casette player any more!

I use SimplyAudiobooks and love it. I have over 150 items in my queue, some are coming soon, some are current. The only thing I've complained of to them was the redesign of the site eliminated seeing the amount of a particular book in stock. I enjoyed that feature because it allowed me to bump my queue around based on what was available immediately.

They have great customer service, and have called a few times to make sure I like the service. I recently had to call them over a billing error and they fixed it immediately. I definitely think it's worth the price for the 3 books at a time subscription!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 1:11:02 PM PST
C. Berkes says: "My public library has a pathetic selection of CDs"

That sucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 3:41:47 PM PST
Don Huck says:
Try TalkingBooksPlus.com. They have a wide range of audiobooks on CD. Roundtrip free shipping. From the hottest new release titles both Fiction and Non-Fiction. Also Classics, Science-Fiction and Fantasy, History plus many other categories. Over 7,000 titles to rent. They are based out of Colorado so shipping is fast avywhere accross the U.S..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 4:55:08 PM PST
sharon maust says:
I have been with simplyaudio nearly two years I get my selections pretty fast and have had no problem with them at all

Posted on Feb 28, 2009 11:09:19 PM PST
I have subscribed to SimplyAudioBooks for several months and plan to cancel at the end of my current month. I've been getting the 7th or 8th item on my queue, which indicates lack of inventory on their part. Turnaround is terrible, averaging about 2 weeks per book roundtrip. They also pepper me with annoying "Your Rental Shelf is Getting Low" e-mails (when it is not and they are not about to ship me what I want anyway), and their web site is confusing. If they want to be the Netflix of audio books, they have a lot to learn.
A good public library is, of course, a great thing. Audio book download prices are still too high for the individual consumer. Speaking as a former editorial director, I believe there is an opportunity for someone to bring a version of 99-cent-per-song pricing to audio books, and if clever they will clean up. I find buying used physical audio books off Amazon, especially MP3 books, the best deal if you are not in a hurry.
Check out libravox - public domain books read by amateurs - and some of the computer-read titles. Both are actually surprising acceptable - you realize that if the author has gotten the words right, that's what counts.
I wonder what it would take to add a speaker jack to the Kindle?

Posted on Mar 17, 2009 12:16:04 PM PDT
my library is horrible as well.. Unless you LOVE Danielle Steele and Nora Roberts.. lol
I joined SAB and stuck with it for about a year. It was okay. the books selection was good and cust. service was good but the turn around time is what did me in. If they had stated I would only get 2 books a month I would have been fine with it. It was not put that way and made it seem like books would be unlimited. *SO* not so... Audible is the way to go for me..

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2009 6:26:57 AM PDT
B. Carr says:
Am I just dense? How can anyone (www.recordedbooks.com) get away with charging $99 each?? NINETY-NINE DOLLARS??? What am I missing?? Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 30, 2009 1:44:29 PM PDT
crankygirl says:
A lot of libraries are using Overdrive and Netlibrary for downloads. They are free with your library membership. I have heard the software is a pain to load, but with Overdrive you can get the book onto your I-Pod.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Audio Book forum (99 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Audio Book forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  May 7, 2008
Latest post:  May 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions