Customer Discussions > Audio Book forum

Who are your favorite/least favorite narrators for your favorite book series?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 590 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2008 2:31:52 PM PST
The query about the Harry Potter narration got me thinking about the narrators used for particular audiobook series. I'd like to hear from the forum who are their favorite and least favorite narrators for their favorite book series. I'll start it off by saying I'm fond of the Robert Crais' Elvis Cole series of novels. The series has had its share of different narrators, but I very much admire David Stuart's and James Daniels' take on Elvis, Joe, and the gang. Patrick Lawlor's turn on Voodoo River would be my least favorite, though. All book series, genres, and narrators welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 5:52:06 PM PST
bookworm says:
I absolutely love just about anything read by scott brick. I actually search for books read by him and try new authors based on his narration. He infuses feeling that is believable into his characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2008 8:17:25 PM PST
I quite agree. Scott is one of _the_ best in the elite group of audiobook readers. If you're into Sci-Fi, Scott is re-doing the entire classic Frank Herbert series, Dune:

<http://www.dunenovels.com/classic.html>

This is great since he did a masterful job in the more recent 'Legends of Dune' and 'Prelude to Dune' trilogies (by Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson). Children of Dune, the 3rd in the series, came out earlier this month. When he's done, he will have completed them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 4:12:09 PM PST
Cap'n G says:
Patrick Tull read the Aubrey/Maturin series and all but the most recent of the Sharpe series. I was disappointed when I started listening to the Sharpe book and found someone else was reading it. Unfortunately Tull had passed away. He was fantastic and made great books even better.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 6:31:27 AM PST
Frank Muhler is my all-time favorite reader. We won't be finding any new books read by him. He had a head-injuring motorcycle accident a few years ago. I grieve for him.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2008 11:31:35 AM PST
Nora Donohue says:
Lisette Lecat is a wonderful reader - she brings the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series to life, and is outstanding reading Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. I can see and hear Africa when she reads.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2008 11:32:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2008 11:33:35 AM PST
Nadia May is really terrific; she reads the Ngiao Marsh mysteries as well as classic brit lit. I also like George Guidell. I don't think Morgan Freeman has ever read an audio book, but he has a golden voice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 3:33:17 AM PDT
Sue T. says:
Mr. Tull also read the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. I found his narration totally compelling. Like Jim Dale (Harry Potter series), he even made exposition at least bearable if not fascinating.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 4:47:21 PM PDT
fan says:
Simon Prebble for just about anything! Humor/mystery Simon Brett's Charles Paris series; the 3 Bonfiglioli books; Romance Stephanie Laurens Cynster series; British mystery/suspense Dick Francis mysteries, and he did several Peter Lovesey mysteries, and 2 of Adam Hall's spy novels, 4 of Minette Walters mysteries, recently Charles Todd's A Pale Horse. He has done classics, histories, and many others. No one can bring characters to life as well as he can, nor communicate joy, dread, fear, horror, in fact any emotion as he can, and there is that beautiful voice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2008 7:24:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2008 7:28:19 PM PDT
Doh! How could I forget Dick Hill?! He reads beautifully; his rendition of The Death Collectors is so good I've listened to it twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 9:53:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 2, 2008 9:55:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 9:58:30 AM PDT
Did you ever listen to Guidall do Frank Herbert's original Dune novel? I ask because I'm about to re-read/listen to the newest version of that Sci-Fi classic, now read by Scott Brick, Simon Vance, et. al.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2008 10:09:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2008 10:18:26 AM PDT
Don Huck says:
Richard Ferrone does a great job on the John Sandford "Prey" series. Also Joe Montegna is the best Spenser from Robert B. Parker "Spenser" series. (Though I have to say that Robert B. Parkers writing style sometimes does not do audiobooks justice. He continually puts in "He said...She said..." during a conversation. This does get in the way of the flow of the conversation. With an audio presentation you know which character is speaking based on the voice change from the reader. You do not need to be told "He said..". Sorry got off the topic there for a second.) Anyway my least favorite reader is Michael Prichard, he reads books produced by Books on Tape. For me he just reads the books and is too monotone rather than giving life to the characters. I have listened to his rendition of the some of the early Spenser novels and struggle through them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2008 6:11:14 PM PDT
I think Susan Ericksen who does the J D Robb series is the Best

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 9:17:51 PM PDT
Valinorean says:
Donada Peters IS Agatha Raisin in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. She captures the different characters brilliantly.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 3:14:50 PM PDT
textucker says:
C. J. Critt is a wonderful reader. She reads Janet Evanovich... stephanie plum series, her books are so funny and C.J. Critt makes them even funnier. I am listening to Michael Connellys "the Black echo" narrated by Dick Hill right now and he is very good too. I love the narrators who really get into character not just read the book. I will have to listen to Harry Potters books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2008 8:37:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2009 4:19:55 PM PDT
Melusine62 says:
Great question! I've heard from my brother-in-law that his kids drive him crazy with the Harry Potter audiobooks because of the male voice imitating the female character [UPDATE: I've listened to Harry Potter audiobooks and the narration is quite good!]--and I have the same peeve with lots of audiobooks whether it's a male imitating female or vice versa. I'd prefer they change expression without trying to mimic the pitch--it is quite distracting to me. Some (many) narrators can completely spoil the book for me. As far as series go, I've also really enjoyed the No. 1 :Ladie's Detective Agency narration by Lisette Lecat, and I recently listened to The Plot Against America with an outstanding narration by Ron Silver--disappointed not to find more audio narrations by him in the library. I actually liked the plot of a similar-themed novel better--The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon--but did not enjoy the narration as much.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2008 1:49:42 PM PDT
M. Oxborrow says:
I had an interesting experience listening to Lilian Jackson Braun's books from the beginning (I'd read them all before). The readers went from Dick Van Patten to Peter Ustinov, to Mason Adams, to finally settling on George Guidall. My favorite of these was Mason Adams because he had the midwestern accent that was so perfect for Qwilleran.

My least favorite is Bill Bryson reading his own books. I love the books, but he really needs to have someone else read them!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 3:39:25 PM PDT
Nice to stumble onto this forum. I've recently discovered Charles Keating reading P. D. James/Adam Dalgliesh. He is fantastic! RUN to get one of his audios. I'll be checking on others mentioned here I haven't tried yet. Amazing how many new authors we discover by searching our favorite narrators. Others I like are Huge Fraser (from Poriot) and Paul Hecht (Martha Grimes).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 3:16:19 PM PDT
Jujube says:
I may have to try to listen to something else by Guidall; I couldn't stand to listen to his reading of John Dunning's Cliff Janeway series. As my audio review opined, I thought that he made the protagonist sound like a black and white film version of a hardboiled detective.

My husband thinks that Donada Peters reading of Hamish MacBeth is a caricature of a Scottish accent. He's correct, I suppose, but I find Peters easy to understand, while imparting a bit of flavor (and I agree with Patrick Wadsworth's opinion of her as Agatha Raisin).

I've picked up some new audio books ideas from this forum. Great question/discussion! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008 10:03:59 AM PDT
Mark Elliott says:
Dennis Bateman - I could listen to him read the phone book. Absolutely love his narration on Zane Grey's Tappans Burro. Hope he is used on more of Zane Grey's titles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2008 2:54:59 PM PDT
D. DeAgelo says:
The first book that i heard was narrated by Tim Curry, it was Anne Rice's "Cry to Heaven". It was wonderful! I seem to enjoy being read to by the Brits. Tim Curry has also narrated the Series of Unfortunate Events.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 8:03:35 PM PDT
fan says:
Jujube,
I just had to comment that I absolutely loved George Guidall's performance of John Dunning's Bookman ( Cliff Janeway) series. I thought he did him as a most endearing character. Now having established that we do not see things quite the same way, can I recommend you give a listen to Davina Porter's Hamish NacBeth? You will certainly not find her Scots accent a caricature, I guarantee you! Warning though, she has a lovely voice, but very different from Donada Peters.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 9:54:34 AM PDT
Audio Queen says:
You now, I enjoy Dick Hill(Sandra Brown books) male voices, but his female voices tend to be too timid and low.....I have turn the volume up and feel like the male characters are yelling at me and I strain to hear and understand what the female characters are saying and it totally takes away from the listening pleasure. I do like his voice just not the contrast between male and female characters..........

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 10:20:36 AM PDT
D. Hurley says:
I really enjoy anything read by Michael Jayston and Michael Kitchen. Both are marvelous. I've just listened to Jayston reading P. D. James' "A Certain Justice" and it was marvelous. When he read the part of Winston Churchill in "They Speak for Themselves" you forgot it wasn't Churchill himself reading. I recently heard Michael Kitchen reading Graham Greene's "The End of the Affair" and it was very well done indeed. In an audio book, the narrator is as important as the author. If the voice is too low or too high pitched, it ruins the story for the listener. For those who haven't heard Jayston or Kitchen, I suggest giving them a try.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa92f6abc)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Audio Book forum
Participants:  246
Total posts:  590
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2008
Latest post:  29 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 57 customers

Search Customer Discussions