Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Audio Book forum

Audiobooks for 9 year old girl

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2010 8:35:42 PM PST
Jenny Wall says:
I was wondering if anyone could suggest audiobooks for my visually impaired 9 year old daughter. She has enjoyed the Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton (Famous 5) books. Jen

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 12:58:45 AM PST
meeve says:
I'm not familiar with Enid Blyton's books, but I just took a look at the Roald Dahl audio books available on Audible,com and was very impressed with the list of readers for those - Derek Jacobi, Lynn Redgrave, Eric Idle, Jeremy Irons, and more. Great books read by great actors are going to be tough acts to follow!

There are two ways to go. 1. Go to, find the books there your daughter has loved, then click on the author, narrator, or both and see if any of those sound interesting. (Audible will have the better audiobook search engine and audio-specific reviews.) You can come back to Amazon for general reviews or discussions on the books after that. 2. Again from Audible, go to their "Kids" page and browse. <>.

In the meantime, here are some unabridged audiobooks I remember my daughter liking at that age.

The first in Cornelia Funke's Inkheart Trilogy, Inkheart or on CD Inkheart. And it's read by Lynn Redgrave, too.

Has she listened to anything read by Jim Dale? He's awesome, and probably most famous for his reading of the Harry Potter series staring with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1), but he also reads Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Around the World in 80 Daysand loads of others in that reading level.

Another great actor/narrators, Simon Jones, reads the wonderful Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud. Start here: The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book 1). My daughter was older than 9 when she listened to these but they are rated for 9 - 12 year olds.

Patricia C. Wrede's "Enchanted Chronicles" series, read by an ensemble cast, is also unabridged. The voice-acting is mediocre but the stories are funny and entertaining and my daughter absolutely loved them. Your daughter could start with this one: Dealing with Dragons and see how it goes.

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 9:24:39 AM PST
N Arizona says:
Check out the Geronimo Stilton series on CD. My son loves them.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 6:51:38 AM PST
Zsa Zsa says:
The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series were excellent. Greek mythology with a twist, the whole family enjoyed them. My daughter also liked The Artemis Fowl series and Judy Blume books.

Posted on Dec 7, 2010 4:44:30 PM PST
Libros Lover says:
The Chronicles of Narnia are also available in audiobook format. There is a different narrator for each story.

Posted on Dec 12, 2010 5:31:51 PM PST
Kathy says:
Anne of Green Gables are wonderful! Old but not so dated, a wonderful intro into the world we used to live in. Took me 60 years to find Anne and it is never too late. Susan O'Malley does a fantastic job!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 10:37:14 AM PST
Lee says:
Elizabeth Enwright's Melendy Quartet (The Saturdays, The Four Story Mistake, and others) is available on CD and wonderful. For a good selection of children's classics, check out Naxos Audiobooks. If you haven't already, check out your local library system to see what they have available.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 7:12:38 AM PST
Rastyk says:
Librivox ( is a good place for many public-domain audiobooks. Different people around the world choose books that are in the public domain and record audiobooks.

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 12:00:08 PM PST
Don Huck says:
Besides, where you need to be able to download books to an Ipod, which may not work for your daughter. rents books on CD and Tape. They have a great selection of audiobooks in the Children/Young Adult section. The audiobooks are sent to your with return psotage already included.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2010 12:35:50 PM PST
Susan Wise Bauer, Story of the World, (my 10 year old loves this although when I first heard it, I thought it would drive me crazy but she and all of her friends LOVE it. )
Also, consider Audio learning from Classical Conversations Foundations Curriculum
They teach all the the basics in history, science, math, and Latin in their curriculum
Amazon has an affiliate audiobook store that has all kinds of children's books on audio and you can listen to samples before you buy them. Most Public libraries have audio books that you can listen to online.
audiobooks that she has enjoyed include The Great Brain Series and CS Lewis Series Lion witch and Wardrobe etc.

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 7:22:40 PM PST
tina harkema says:
My son is also visually impaired and is ten. While he absolutely loves audio books, he prefers when they are dramatizations (ie. Adventure In Odyssey and Jonathon Park or for girls Gilead Lane) so we try to find "Real" books dramatized Radio Theater does Secret Garden, Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables that are excellent!! Also their Narnia series is EXCELLENT! Try and find a good Reading of The Little House on the Prairie series. The newest ones we found that he love are Lamplighter Publishing - they do real old books. If you have a IPOD or just and a Itune account you can download so many Classics for FREE - audiobooks! Just type in librovox - We have done Peter Pan, Wind and the Willows, Secret Garden (our fav) Swiss Family Robinson. You will quickly find your favorite Reader and listen to all of their readings. We listened to STORY OF THE WORLD that way (as someone suggested, it was Okay not a love.) NBP (National Braille Press) is great for getting Braille books (they send a quarterly free book to child either you can get 3 books or 2 books and a multisensory object that goes along with the book and that is always excellent. The Little House on the Prairie book came with a wood carved wagon with fabric top and people) and they have a free National Loan library where they will send you the audio book for free. While I think she is way too young for any more than the first Harry Potter - I would stay away until she is a little older same goes for Percy. Both books are great books but are intended for pre-teen to teen. I loved them but they tend to be violent and graphic in the later books and once you start reading them you will want to read them all - so wait until more age appropriate. They are both a must read, just later. Andrew Land Fairy Books I have found all girls love and you can find these free on librivox, MacDonalds Princess and the Goblin (series) and Thornton Burgess Bird and Animal Books are great for all ages. I am an avid Reader and Teacher so go with the tried and true, the classics are so Great. I am also going to try some of the suggestions that others gave you. Good Luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2010 9:17:36 AM PST has done dramatizations of the first two Dinotopia books by James Gurney. They've come out amazingly well, especially considering how heavily illustrated the books are- _Dinotopia_, and _The World Beneath_ They also have a couple of series of radio drama sort of adventures that I enjoy. My favorite is the Jack Flanders adventures which are fantasyish. Ruby the Galactic Gumshoe is science fiction. The ZBS website has some audio samples, and I know my library has the cd's of a lot of these, so there's ways to try these out before buying. If you think she's a little young for Jack and Ruby just now, they're something to keep in mind for the future.
I'll second the Elizabeth Enright books. I'm fond of _Gone Away Lake_ and well as _Return to Gone Away_
I'll also recommend the Green Knowe books by L.M. Boston, I see they're on CD, there are 6. I've got the books(and I'm 50+) they are great stories, I used to read them to kids I was babysitting.
My niece was a Mary Poppins addict in her younger days, I kept having to reread them, see if there's an audio version of the books. The books are more fun than the movie.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 8:57:34 AM PST
I second the Bartimaeus series. I only heard about 10 minutes of it while riding with a friend but it sounded great!

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 6:57:07 AM PST
Gnomes Rule says:
I have a friend who is ten (soon to be eleven) she likes all the Pendragon books and they're available in Audio. Kissing is involved but nothing more, fighting and battles and dangerous but not gory situations.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Audio Book forum (102 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Audio Book forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions