Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Automotive forum

The Real reason GM is failing

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on Nov 17, 2008 3:55:21 PM PST.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2876-2900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:30:13 AM PDT
In order to convert the GM . gas engine to diesel was a marketing move , Don't blame the engineering for the company poor business decision .

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:36:26 AM PDT
JV,

Huh? It's getting to sound like you're filling in for our pal Chris.
Diapers TWO tight? Dos tight? My diapers are at least three tight! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 10:57:25 AM PDT
Athynz says:
Steve Hadartis - How is this any different from banking executives getting bonuses and raises from taxpayer bailout money?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/23/suntrust-pay-idUSN2319023720110223

http://www.minyanville.com/businessmarkets/articles/C-F-STI-CEO-PAY-AFL/2/26/2009/id/21345

Jim Wells, former CEO of SunTrust took a 33% pay raise that was funded by taxpayer bailout money. Do you consider this to be wrong because he is not a "trained unskilled laborer"? JackV posted some interesting links, one that shows that these same workers have not had a raise since 2005. Compare that with the raises and pay the executives receive:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/04/30/GMs-CEO-Pay-Gripe-7-7-Million-Isnt-Enough.aspx#page1

http://www.stocktradingtogo.com/2008/11/18/us-automaker-bailout-debates-heat-up/

The last link discusses then-CEO of GM Rick Wagoner receiving a 33% raise in 2008 while still asking for government help.

Are you really sure you want to blame the unions for GM's issues?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:19:05 AM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
AM> You can give me all the definitions you want to. You can Google all you want to. You can tell me what you've seen and haven't seen. All of it means nothing because I am relating to you the real world within the GM universe. The difference between our observations of reality is; I was there! You were not! My observations are based in fact seen first hand. Your observations are based in deductive speculation as seen through the eyes of an outsider. Anything I might say may be biased but it has much more validity and veracity than anything you might say.

As for your charges regarding "cheap," and "incompetence," I could not disagree! All '70's and early 80's stuff! When I walked in the door of the Tech Center, I expected to meet a building full of geniuses but, what did I find but a huge number of so-so engineers, many of whom were related to each other and a dozen or so extremely bright people.

At the time, we were going through the transition from the old Gen I SB to the Gen Ia SB when we put in roller hydraulic lifters and got the cam wear fixed. We then did the Gen II SB. That's the one with the Omnispark distributor and the reverse flow cooling. The Chief Engineer who came up with the Omnispark idea and his two clones ended up getting moved aside and then out. One of the two clones is working at BMW today. And yes, I know their names!

The next big move was the Gen III (LS1/LS6/LS3 etc.) That's when I got a chance to spread my wings and fly we did! After 15 + years many millions of LS engines have been produced in many displacements from 292CID to 454 CID. They have been almost universally accepted by the hot rodder crowd as the engine with the most power potential and strength. The old SB and BB are gone! In addition to that statement I have a stack of magazines several feet high each talking about what a great engine the LS series is. I don't need any more proof than that, but I shouldn't have to tell you that. You already know!

You are correct in that I am willing to take my share of the glory and bear very little of the blame. I was recruited to change the culture in engine design and to replace the old 1955 SB with a modern powerplant that was world class! We did that!

Your last point; I dare to blame the little guy???? How did I do that? I blame the UAW for forcing me to join it and then using my dues money to support candidates I don't agree with. I was insulted because I spent 4 years in an apprenticeship making less than a production worker and a janitor. When I graduated, I only made a pittance more. How do you twist that into me blaming the little guy? BTW, when I said, "Too many takers and not enough makers!" Makers are the little guys you're talking about. I said there are not enough of them. If you call that blaming the little guy then you're sitting on your toilet backward!

Hmmm! After that review, I guess you've got me Malin. I'm guilty as charged! I'm the real adult in the room! And here you got me all worried that I might not be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:30:21 AM PDT
A.Marlin. Read Jackv answer regarding the bonus for GM. UAW workers . During my active working days I was getting some bonus for good or excellent achievement , not for show up to work. The signing bonus from borrowed money is a very poor motivation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:31:40 AM PDT
JackV . Thanks for bringing A.Marlin up to date

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 12:50:01 PM PDT
A.Marlin I have a 2000 Cadillac Seville , with a North star V8 . I purchased this car used with 70K Ml. The engine is the engineering super accomplishment. I do my own repair ,every time working on this engine (not much room) but the design I admire. I'm lucky the car was assembled Wednesday , not Friday or Monday. Hope you get my drift.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 1:18:10 PM PDT
I don't blame the just the union for GM . mess .It was a mistake to bail out the financial institution and the the automakers. , if they can't manege their business well deserve to go under , no politician care about the little guy, the small business don't have millions of dollar like the union or banks to contribute for the dishonest politician . Also when GM.was "suffering" ? financially should be a pay and benefit cut across the board.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 2:05:15 PM PDT
Athynz says:
You and I agree as far as the bailouts - I'm not a fan of them either. I've said before that IMHO a CEO's pay should be tied into how his company performs - and NO CEO should have gotten any sort of raise directly prior to or during the bailouts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 2:30:24 PM PDT
JackV says:
There is no dispute, the CEO remuneration winner Twyla Tharp come financed companies crazy. The initial conclusion, that the labor is not also profit from same! It is understandable? There is also no disputes, CEO pay of public companies should be directly linked to the activities. If, however, they have their own companies, i do not.

Think I Malin speak is much clearer. You?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:04:45 PM PDT
Athynz says:
Jack I can usually figure out what you are saying but in this case I honestly have no clue as to what you are trying to say.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:07:39 PM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
LOL! I admit to Googling Twyla. I remembered her name but couldn't connect with who she is. Melanin will love you!

We have a new bridge being built with tarpaulin funs near us right now. On Hwy 378 between GA and SC. Soon another will start nearby to the tune of $9M! Nothing wrong except houseboats can't get under the old ones. Boo-hoo! Wine-Wine!

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 3:44:03 PM PDT
JackV says:
We do not always talk about the relationship with the city data? (I get gooder at Malin speak.)

http://www.city-data.com/

House boats need to go under bridges? Yes, wine me, in the river.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:47:30 PM PDT
JackV,

What did Howard Johnson say in "Blazing Saddles" when Gabby incoherently babbled on in the meeting? "Now who can argue with that?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:49:39 PM PDT
Wine-wine?

These posts come up with some of the most spelling-challenged comments!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:59:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 4:09:04 PM PDT
JackV says:
Now who can argue, that?

These posts of some of the more than the spelling in the comments!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 4:10:41 PM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
Sid Caesar, Durwood Fincher, and Irwin Corey!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 5:35:56 PM PDT
I do not read JackV. He is on ignore so he no one has put me up to date. From what I read, the bonuses went to new hires that worked for very low wages during time of turmoil.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 5:51:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 5:52:24 PM PDT
JackV says:
Melanin translation for free

I did not read jасkv. It was on to ignore to do, he gave me up to this day. From what I have read, such awards have been removed for new staff members, who had worked on a very low level of wages during the riots: remember a liar

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 7:46:37 PM PDT
JackV,

I'm not here to debate your opinions, I'm here to say that some of us can not understand what it is you are trying to say.
Are you a recent transplant from a country of another language?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 7:47:58 PM PDT
SV,

Did you mean to say Durwood Kirby? Only "Durwood" I've ever heard of.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 8:09:08 PM PDT
JackV says:
Durwood Fincher - http://doubletalk.com/

I would only help all understand in which Malinese dialect with to ply dieper construktion help he mention familar 'pull up diapers' missing.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2012 9:34:26 AM PDT
JV,

Down here in the South, some folks might say to you, "you ain't from around here, are you boy?"

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 8:03:19 PM PDT
Carl G says:
General Motors is becoming China Motors
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 10:27:18 AM PDT
They are saying part of the truth here, not the whole truth, GM moved 11 plants to China on OTHER taxpayer money from 2001 to 2007 before Bushes big bailout. Insiders have known for 20 years that GM is going to move to China
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Automotive forum (313 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Automotive forum
Participants:  654
Total posts:  3278
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 37 customers

Search Customer Discussions