Customer Discussions > Automotive forum

Can Cars Get 100+ MPG Today?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 87 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 2:12:19 PM PDT
Grumbler says:
aerodynamics is the key. the power required to make a car go faster (i.e. drag) increases at the CUBE of the speed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 4:33:15 PM PDT
Onońdagegá says:
The diesel Smartcar has been available in Europe for 10 years and gets 80mpg. The US govt won't let it in the country. The only Smartcars avail are gas engines that are tuned to get ONLY 35-40 mpg. No, our govt doesn't want mileage to change but very, very gradually with media events designed to make you think they are solving the problem by mandating improvements.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 7:45:41 PM PDT
Google: Tom Ogle El Paso TX

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 7:55:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 7:57:09 AM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
The real reason is because in Europe, the NOx (Nitric Oxide) emission maximum is a lot less stringent than in the USA. To clean up a MB mini diesel costs $$$. If they clean up the car to meet our requirements, there would be no problem selling it here. Talk to MB, and not our government!

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2012-usa-diesel-cars.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 12:50:55 PM PDT
Carl G says:
It seems like Americans are having to pay for the sins of other countries.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:00:54 PM PDT
DantheMan says:
A couple questions I have.

The Model T got approx 25mpg, higher than the national average. Why?

A ford bulletin I saw about a year ago stated that it had developed a 65mpg clean diesel engine for the Fiesta, but would not sell them in the US, because they didn't think there was a market for them, so they will only be sold in Europe.

Europe has 4 vehicles that get 100mpg. We have none that get even half that. Why?

When I was younger(I am 50), lawn mowers were 2 or 3 horsepower, and never stalled. Now they are 7.5 or more, and won't cut anything without stalling.

The magic cutoff for mpg seems to be about 42mpg. Once a vehicle exceeds this, EPA or someone jumps in and squashes it back. Case in point Why did the honda civic get close to 60mpg in the 80's, and now advertises 34mpg

We have one thing different than Europe and other counties. The EPA! Government uses them to regulate fuel economy, so they can keep the money rolling in

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:11:08 PM PDT
Carl G says:
The Model T with its inline 4 cylinder engine had a top speed of 40-45 miles per hour and didn't have a air conditioner compressor to pull.

According to Ford Motor Company, the Model T had fuel economy on the order of 13-21 mpg and the engine was capable of running on gasoline, kerosene, or ethanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_T#cite_note-12

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 10:16:35 PM PDT
J. Humke says:
I had a 1983 Honda Civic with a 1.3L engine, 5 speed manual. It got 55mpg! She was light and had manual everything. There was no facy driving technique or anything you just drove and she got 50mpg! No 5k battery pack that they had to strip mine to produce, no extra crap on engine to break, etc ... I used to repair everything on it, it was so easy! Oh did I mention they were CHEAP to buy!!!

Okay 30 later and we are all excited about a commuter "gas saving" car that can get 30mpg? Hmmm ... something doesn't seem right here?

The nearest thing to my 83 civic as far as gas mileage is a hybrid with a huge 5k battery? What!!! Oh and I'm sure if you did they price comparison math you would find out you could have bought three of my 1983 civic's back then for the price you paid for that Prius!

You would think 30 years later we could have come up with something better????

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:15:33 AM PDT
A. Sturzl says:
Cars today don't get substantially higher milage because automotive designers are forced to design physically attractive cars that fit today's fueling infrastructure, safety, and acceleration requirements. Fuels and engines have not become substantially more efficient because more efficient processes would have incommensurately high costs and because the internal combustion engine is well understood and cannot be drastically improved upon. Progress reaches its limitations when companies/consumers refuse to branch out into new technologies or alternate methods.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 12:32:03 PM PDT
Cars today DO get phenominal mileage with fantastic power, just not here in the USA/North America. We are shafted with the power and fuel robbing emmissions standards set by the EPA, and other Federal agencies, not to mention the various state mandates, a la The People's Paradise of Kalifornia.
In Europe there are European models of American cars or or cars imported to the USA with magnificent horsepower and economy as compared to their American counterparts. You can buy a large Jaguar or Audi sedan with a diesel engine which, contrary to what we ignorant Americans beleive about diesels, are quiet, clean, and extremely powerful, yet get 40 mpg. Yes, 40 mpg in a large luxury sedan. Here's a little clip about one of my favorite TV shows, TOP GEAR, a British auto show that mainly highlights supercars, etc., and an economy race they had from Switzerland to Blackpoole, nearly 800 miles on ONE TANK OF FUEL, no extra fuel tanks, everything stock. God knows that is a lot farther than anyone can go in an American car.

Fuel Economy Race - Car vs. Car vs. Car - Distance 780 miles

With the team booked to switch on the famous Blackpool Illuminations, the three were presented with a challenge to determine which one of them would get the honour of actually throwing the switch. This took the form of a race from Basel in Switzerland to Blackpool, taking a route of their choice and using any unmodified production car they chose, with the restriction that they were only allowed to use a single tank of fuel. May selected a Subaru Legacy diesel, Clarkson a Jaguar XJ and, to the scorn of his compatriots, Hammond chose a Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion. Clarkson bought the Jaguar because, he said, they cannot go from Basel to Blackpool on one tank of fuel, claiming "If you're gonna fail, you may as well fail in style and comfort." Before leaving France he figured out that, if he went fast enough, he could run out of fuel a few minutes from his house. However, Clarkson failed to run out of fuel-arriving in Blackpool shortly after Hammond. May did eventually finish, albeit 40 minutes after the celebration. All competitors chose their own routes, taking differing routes through France but all crossing the channel via Calais and Dover, which put Blackpool out of the theoretical range of all the chosen vehicles. With seconds to go before the switch-on, Richard-despite winning-claimed Jeremy should switch the light, but Jeremy declined. However, the honour of performing the ceremony fell to the Stig during the ensuing argument. Afterwards, it was found Clarkson's car had 120 miles of fuel left. Winner: Volkswagen Polo Series Twelve, Episode Four

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 2:13:36 PM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
AS> Just wondering where you got your information? Are you an automotive designer? If so, is this what you were told by your design managers?

T Boone Pickens has been trying to get the large truck fleet to switch over to LNG. Oil companies like Shell are ready to invest in building the infrastructure to the tune of $300M. Pickens says if we did this, he could cut the need for imported oil by 60%. That would allow us to completely divorce ourselves from Middle Eastern oil. TBP has testified before Congress and there seems not to be the political will to start such a project. Instead we get bullet trains! As the price of gasoline drops, the political will for the alternate fuel switch drops also. There is a Green agenda in DC, but is it the right one?

Engines have become substantially more efficient but you may not be aware of the technology being used. The retarding cams, direct injection, and new diesel designs have made today's engines vastly better than even 25 years ago. Look at how the Eco-techs have replaced the Iron Dukes and the LSx engines series have sent the old Chevy small block packing. The old Chevy SB is going the way of the old Ford flat-head. There is yet much to be done. They are NOT picking the fly-specks out of the pepper quite yet!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 12:15:54 AM PDT
Not so much for the hybrid I am afraid the batteries will have to be replaced at the ten year mark so at whatever the battery pack costs for the particular vehicle. Whatever it be it wont be cheap. Mid four digits or better. Not cost effective. Cheers.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:00:21 PM PDT
plc268 says:
One thing to note about European MPG values, is that they likely use the Imperial Gallon instead of the US Gallon. The US gallon is ~3.75L, whereas the Imperial gallon is ~4.5L. This means that a car marketed at 40mpg in the US can be marketed as 48mpg in the UK. And this supposed 80mpg diesel SmartCar is in reality 66-67mpg in the US. Impressive, but expected since diesel fuel is more dense and the engines more efficient.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 12:02:38 PM PDT
I saw in Youtube a guy who runs his car on Hydrogen, he was murdered (poisoned) before he can get any patent or buyers for his invention. Who murdered him? Your guess is as good as mine

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 3:12:11 PM PDT
Carl G says:
Yes, the Internet is full of conspiracies. He was probably assassinated by the same groups of people who killed JFK.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 4:07:01 PM PDT
Turbo6 says:
Actually, the three cylinder metro (suzuki swift/cultus) got 55-60mpg highway. In the late eighties, early nineties)

It got that high mileage because it had a tiny 1000cc engine and it only weighed 1700 pounds. Later production metro's (2000) got only 40 mpg because they weighed a few hundred pounds more due to tighter safety standards and engines lost efficiency due to tighter emission regulations.

In other words, the government regulated the cheap 60 mpg car out of existence.

My 2001 Audi A4 Quattro weighs a portly 3250 lbs and gets 30 mpg highway with a light pressure turbo and 20 valve 4 cylinder engine. It doesn't match the metro, but it sure is a heckuva lot nicer to drive!

I think a newish Honda Fit weighs in at a chubby 2400 pounds of government safety regulated goodness. Take that Honda engine and put it in an old Metro body and you'll be getting 50+ mpg and it'll be more fun to drive because it'll have more power than the original 3 cylinder motor.

Generally speaking, todays "econoboxes" are a lot safer and drive a lot nicer riding then they were 20+ years ago. How many cars can you buy now that have manual rack and pinion steering, no a/c, no power steering, no power nothing. The fact that you could buy a stripped down model also saved some weight too. Nobody wants to drive a stripped down shoe box, which is why cars like the Mini are popular. (the Mini being a tarted up econobox)

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:40:45 AM PDT
Juan says:
The government will send a drone to your crib.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 8:18:51 AM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
Gotta salute the old Chevy SB V8! Yesterday, I put a new water pump on my '90 PU. I can't believe how quick and easy it was to service. All the bolts were easy to remove and I did not have to remove any brackets or other clap trap to work on it. Even the fan shroud is in two pieces so with 7 bolts, the top half comes off for easy serviceability. Remember, this truck is 24 years old!

I was also amazed to see how much the fan was wobbling back and forth, yet the seal held the fluid. The WP bearing shell is about 3" long and has a ring of ball bearings at either end. All the balls in the impeller end were gone. The only thing that took a little time was cleaning the old gaskets off the block faces. A razor blade took care of that! To top it off, the new pump was only $30.

It's hard to distinguish a great design from a poor one until you actually work on it. That area of the SB is a GREAT design!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 10:47:54 AM PDT
W. Wehmann says:
@SpiderWebb
You've underestimated your advantage, big time. The $5,000 you didn't spend is earning interest or investment profits for the 8-10 yrs of ownership. With just 5% interest/return you're easily ahead $2,400 (8 yrs) to $3,100 (10 yrs).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 9:46:52 PM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
WW> I agree! In today's world, 5% interest is a bit unreasonable, but if invested should not be too hard to accomplish. In my world, the $5k would be spent on something else as it came in. It's the in nature of the money beast!

Regardless of the assumed interest rate, the future value of the freed money should always be part of the equation. Thank you!

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 12:35:09 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
IMO a 100+MPG car wouldn't be good business for Oil companies. If they do start making 100+Mpg cars it wouldn't really help our pockets, As we get better a MPG havent you noticed that GAS prices keep going up?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:41:12 PM PDT
SpiderWebb says:
When I was a kid, gas was $0.25/gal. Adjusted for inflation, gas is about the same price today. The real problem is there are so many more people who can't afford it today.

Way back then, I was making $0.85/hr and doing OK. Today, that would be about $10/hr. When you're 18 and just starting out, that's a reasonable wage for a first job, yet I'll bet almost no one would agree. This country is begging for skilled machinists. Where have all the trade schools gone? Many people are going to college who are more suited for the skilled trades. Poor counseling! Demanding parents! Poor choices!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 3:15:10 PM PDT
Carl G says:
They should have two prices for fuel. One for vehicles that get over 30 miles per gallon and then a much lower price for those of us who drive what would be considered guzzlers. (under 30 MPG)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 3:25:44 PM PDT
Carl G says:
I remember when premium was called Ethyl and when unleaded first came out it was called "white gasoline.' I also remember Gas Wars when regular was 17-19 cents a gallon. Who would have thought nearly 50 years later that gasoline would cost as much as it does today..

My dad was a inside/outside machinist and as a lad I even learned how use a lathe and to read a micrometer. (pronounced mi-crom-e-ter for all you non machinist) I even worked for a brief time as a inside and outside machinist for Ingalls Shipbuilding, when it was known as such.

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:24:37 PM PDT
Alkus says:
my Lexus hybrid burns 4,8l/100km
which means i can do from Vancouver to Calgary (1100km) on one 50l tank
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Automotive forum (300 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Automotive forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Jun 25, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions