Customer Discussions > Automotive forum

Tips to improve mpg?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 188 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:20:26 PM PDT
lavalamp says:> get a K&N Air Filter. Order for any cars you own. I just put two in mine. <

You will not have seen any improvement with the after market filters compared to clean filters. New stock filters would not have restricted air.

If your mileage improved it is because you let your old filters get so badly clogged that they restricted air flow.

lavalamp says:> hey they are life time filters<

They only filter air as long as they are clean, then they let dirt in. They do not act as filters for a lifetime without messy tedious maintenance. Maintenance we already know that you do not do because you let your old filters become clogged.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 9:21:39 PM PDT
JagMan says:> Just regular 3000 mi oil changes and you will be fine.<

©∆∆˚?

Posted on May 7, 2012 10:26:15 PM PDT
If you do not have to slow down, you do not have to speed up. Maintain momentum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:35:14 AM PDT
Jon says:
New car "paper" filters don't generally need to be changed every 15,000 miles unless you believe K&N's propaganda.

K&N filters also don't filter as well as the stock "paper" filters. Whether that actually makes a difference depends on your driving conditions and who you ask.

Hold a K&N filter up to the light and you can see holes in it. No matter what the propaganda says, dirt doesn't have a magic guidance system that causes it to avoid the holes and commit suicide on the oiled cotton in the K&N. If a dirt particle is lined up with one of the many pinholes in a K&N, it will go through the hole.

K&N drop in substitue aur filter elements also don't generally increase power. Many dyno runs by car enthusiasts have shown that on many cars.

You need to change the filter housing to get a power gain because the housing is where the restriction is on most cars, not the element.

Is there even one auto manufacturer that uses one of these high-performance filters? Referring to the oiled-cotton or oiled-foam type filters such as K&N brand filters. I can't think of any. Don't you think GM would take advatage of gaining such cheap horsepower in cars like their Corvettes or GTO, or Chrysler in any of their HEMI powered cars? Not even Ferrari or Lamborgini uses such a filter. The reason they don't is because these filters don't really filter dirt that well and engine wear is terrible with these filters.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:01:59 AM PDT
Jon says:
I heard the speed of the A/C fan does too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 2:31:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 3:51:30 PM PDT
First off I agree pretty much with what you have said. Well thought out and well written. You could have posted a link to your referanced items (dyno teats etc.)

Powell says:> You need to change the filter housing to get a power gain because the housing is where the restriction is on most cars, not the element.<

The throttle body is often the restrictive place. But changing the housing will upset the sonic back pressure used on modern cars to increase airflow at the valves head. You might get a power increase somewhere, but you are unlikely to get the power increase in the same areas of the power band that the car was originally designed for.

http://goo.gl/QMmHV

J. Powell says:> Is there even one auto manufacturer that uses one of these high-performance filters? <

BMC F1 air filters are original equipment for the Ferrari Formula 1 team and Ferrari GT race teams and Porsche Motorsports, Mercedes Benz F1 and GT race teams and AUDI motorsports team. The filtering material is composed of a special cotton gauze soaked with low-viscosity oil.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/replacement-filters_prd_pr3_1_1.aspx

All the manufacture has to worry about is if the filter will last until the end of the warranty period under normal conditions. Paper filters do that, and if the get clogged they filter more. When an oil filter gets dry it filters less.

lavalamp says:>..hey they are life time filters<

The filter may "last," the life of the car, but it will not on its own "filter," for the life of the car.

J. Powell says:> These filters don't really filter dirt that well and engine wear is terrible with these filters.<

They work well as long as they are oiled after every race. When they race F1 on the dirtiest courses, they may use filters line BMC and Pipercross filters.

http://www.pipercross.net/competition/casestudies.asp

If you want better than stock filtration read about Donaldson built nanofiber replacement filters.

http://www.amsoil.com/video/company/EaFilters/index.aspx

There is no reason why K&N cannot offer nanofiber technology in future products. The problem in finding leading edge technology like this, is they are made for universal applications and trucks, not specifically to fit your passenger car. You might find nanofiber filters to fit a K&N system, but not a Ferrari GTO.

http://goo.gl/5yhAU

Also while "less is better," when it comes to contaminates in an engine. It is difficult to know how mileage and longevity are actually effected over time. Could it cause engines failure at 305,000 miles instead of 315,000 miles. If you plan to sell your car before its useful life has ended it may not make any difference at all. The main thing for performance is not to let your filter made of any material, get clogged enough to slow down the passage of incoming air.

Posted on May 10, 2012 3:05:19 PM PDT
Carl G says:
I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre that has a 3800 V6. It was advertised at 19/31. The best MPG I have received on the highway is 33 MPG. My 2008 Honda that has a boxer 6 cylinder gets on average 40 MPG on the highway. My 1992 Chevrolet Silverado w/5.7 L gets about 25 highway stripes to a gallon. ;)

Posted on May 10, 2012 9:52:14 PM PDT
Awdsyco says:
Honda makes BOXER engine? You better verify what you wrote and own. Boxer engines are made only in Porsche and Subaru today. Besides exotic cars with V10 and V12, most car manufacturers use I4, I6(BMW), V6, and V8. Honda and Toyota mostly make I4 and V6 tranverse mount to transmission to reduce cost and more efficient with front wheel drive.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:55:01 PM PDT
JackV says:
Here's one Honda BOXER engine http://goo.gl/HL3zO

Posted on May 11, 2012 2:03:22 AM PDT
Awdsyco says:
We're talking about car's boxer engine, not motorcycle. BMW also makes motorcycle boxer engine and so as Honda. Show me a Honda boxer engine as of today's car, not motorcycle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 8:11:48 AM PDT
JackV says:
CarlG said " My 2008 Honda that has a boxer 6 cylinder gets on average 40 MPG" and then you said Honda didn't make a BOXER engine.

Where was it said that this was for a car? He didn't, I didn't. You just made a mistake and limited your mind. Oops!

Posted on May 11, 2012 1:28:45 PM PDT
Awdsyco says:
In that case, you might include airplane engines as well to add to your knowledge bank.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 1:32:30 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
lol Tell EM! lol jk

Posted on May 11, 2012 1:48:31 PM PDT
G. Leyfman says:
Or just go the route Europeans have been taking for a long time now and get a diesel!
My Jetta Sportswagen:
44 MPG in traffic +A/C
48 MPG in clear no A/C

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 2:04:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 2:09:32 PM PDT
JackV says:
Sure, if HONDA made BOXER engines for airplanes, that would be included, but they don't yet. Just jets so far - although it's made by GE.

http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1
http://world.honda.com/AircraftEngines/

IOW, you said HONDA did not make BOXER engines and they do.

Always amazes me how people get mad instead of just admitting they made a mistake. Learning new things is always fun for me.

"Honda (NYSE: HMC) is the world's largest engine manufacturer, annually producing more than 20 million engines for a wide range of products, including motorcycles, ATVs, generators, marine engines, lawn and garden equipment, and Honda and Acura automobiles. "

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:27:43 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Chest-thumping about a miscommunication is imbecilic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:58:10 PM PDT
Carl G says:
Ari planes aren't considered vehicles. We were talking about vehicles.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:01:15 PM PDT
Carl G says:
I think this is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWQe42nr3o

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:07:18 PM PDT
Carl G says:
There was no miscommunication, simply misunderstanding that cars are the only vehicles. The thread isn't about cars, trains, or airplanes, but about tips to improve miles per gallon. Name calling exhibits lower intelligence and is considered juvenile behavior.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:13:37 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Chest-thumping about a misunderstanding is imbecilic too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:36:06 PM PDT
Carl G says:
No chest thumping here Chimp.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 12:41:33 AM PDT
JackV says:
You mean like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u53q8J7GHg

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:48:05 AM PDT
JackV says:
As far as MPG goes, here's a 45MPG 207mph airplane fuel mileage contest

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-10-29_fuelventure.asp

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 5:57:17 AM PDT
Odycee says:> Boxer engines are made only in Porsche and Subaru today.<

Boxer engines got their name because each pair of pistons moves simultaneously in and out rather than alternately (which apparently looked like the fists of a boxer to the designer).

Boxers have a natural dynamic balance; these engines can run very smoothly and free of unbalanced forces. Boxers need no balance weights on the crankshaft, which make it lighter and faster accelerating. Because the pistons act as counterweights for one another, less rotational forces have a natural smoothness throughout the rev range and offer a lower centre of gravity necessary for fine handling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 7:37:52 AM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
You know i have been contemplating putting in a diesel engine in my LGT if its current engine ever goes.
Your reply to Fidel Amaya's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Automotive forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  188
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions