Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Britax HUGS problem

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2012 8:49:50 PM PDT
Katie says:
Has anyone else experienced problems with Britax's HUGS (the plastic things over the chest area of the seat belt - not the chest clip). According to Britax, "The Harness Ultra-Guard System assists in reducing forward movement of your child in the event of a crash by adding friction to the harness against your child's chest as they move forward."

But in the Boulevard, the only thing they have done for us is push the chest clip lower than armpit level (where it should be). It shoves the chest clip over LO's belly - which could cause sever internal injuries in a crash. I am constantly adjusting the HUGS, and it's driving me crazy.

Is this happening to anyone else? I love Britax seats otherwise.

Posted on May 18, 2012 10:34:33 PM PDT
jau001 says:
How old/big is LO?
Maybe the baby is not yet tall enough for the Boulevard.
I have the Boulevard and know what your are talking about with the HUGS. If the distance between the top of your shoulder harness (where it enters into the carseat) and the proper area where the chest clip belongs, is less than the length of the HUGS, then the chest clip will be forced down lower on LO's torso. This may result in it being too low (on the abdomen) where is can be more harmful than helpful in a crash.
Not sure if you can/want to remove the HUGS.
Britax makes fantastic, quality and most importantly, safe carseats. But don't let an improperly fitting seat give you a false sense of security.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 12:31:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2012 12:32:00 AM PDT
Katie says:
He's a very tall, super skinny 2.5yr old

Posted on May 19, 2012 4:42:03 PM PDT
Tonya says:
Im not sure how the hugs would be pushing the chest clip down on a 2.5 year old. They are not fixed in one spot and move freely up and down the harness straps. Scootch them up further before you buckle the chest clip in the correct spot (nipple/armpit) area ;)

Posted on May 21, 2012 2:21:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2012 2:22:20 AM PDT
MamaNava says:
The chest clip should be positioned *inside* the HUGS area. Are yours below the HUGS? They should look like this: http://bit.ly/Ji3ZBG (ignore red arrow).

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 12:30:52 PM PDT
Katie says:
Everything is placed exactly like it's supposed to be - I'm really anxious about car seat safety. They just shove the chest clip down on him. I always double check the seat belt when I buckle him in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 4:32:09 PM PDT
Tonya says:
I'm also very cautious when it comes to vehicle safety ;) I'm just not sure how they could possibly pull the chest clip down. They are extremely light weight and are free moving so if you push the clip up they go up with the clip. Could it be possible that your child is sliding the clip down?

Posted on May 21, 2012 5:10:38 PM PDT
Katie says:
He's not doing it- he's extremely skinny and tall - they just don't sit well on him. When he wriggles the HUGS slide down, and in turn they force the chest clip down. Maybe it's just his shape, IDK. I have had someone else tell me that they had this problem too.

Posted on May 23, 2012 12:26:01 PM PDT
Ours do the same thing. i thought the clip was just not tight enough on the belts, but it could be the rubber "hugs". i have to slide the chest clip back up every single time I put him in and have used it for ages 1-2.5yrs now. I don't recall this problem when my first son used the seat, but he was older (3-4 yrs.)

Posted on Aug 16, 2012 5:15:04 AM PDT
New problem with the rubber hugs! I was driving home last night and I hear my daughter choking! She had bitten off chunks of the rubber and began to choke! Why would they make this rubber easy to break off. Calling when they open! I had to pull over and save my daughters life. It was a scary moment!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:06:11 AM PST
MamaNava says:
@Gail- Have you seen the HUGS recall?? http://www.britaxconvertiblerecall.com

Posted on Aug 30, 2014 12:27:47 AM PDT
Nimbus Cloud says:
Hugs is optional in the rear facing position. From the britax website:
"Although the HUGS chest pads are recommended for children in the forward-facing installation mode for seats that come equipped with them, they are optional in the rear-facing installation mode where your child is instead cradled by the child seat back in a frontal impact."

Posted on Oct 30, 2014 2:20:24 PM PDT
Aim'ee Dawn says:
Our clip slides down on the hugs rubber too. This had to be a hazard. I have read the directions and am also a stickler with car seats. I think I'll contact the company.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Baby forum (568 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  May 18, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions