Customer Discussions > Baby forum

Strangers- please don't touch my baby!!! This means you!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2011 9:48:15 AM PST
Why is it everyone feels entitled to grab my baby- in church, at the grocery store, festivals, etc.

I don't know you, or your hygeine.
I do not know if you are sick, you may not realize it yet.
Baby puts her hands in her mouth, therefore you should not be touching them.
For crying out loud, its flu season!
You older moms, you should know better.
Control yourselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 3:43:52 PM PST
HAHA! I get this same feeling too! Or I may give the mom permission to touch her and then she brings her 5 year old sick kid around so they can hold the baby. NO! I said you and you alone, a five year old has no need to be picking up ANY baby!

Totally agree with you.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 3:55:02 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:07:26 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 4:38:14 PM PST
C. Bayne says:
I'm glad none of you are my mom, thats all I got to say

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:14:02 PM PST
I'm sure your mom didn't want you to get coughed on, sneezed on, or dropped either. :-)

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 5:19:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011 5:25:11 PM PST
JessicaI says:
this is ridiculous. this is why americans are so unhealthy. germs are GOOD for babies! it is how they develop immunity. you germophobic mom's are doing a disservice to your kids by not letting them play in the dirt and exposing them to the world. building healthy immune systems early is essential to prevent allergies later on. half the benefit on breastfeeding is giving your baby the bacteria you have on you so that they can develop immunity to it!!! I have a 5 month old who has never been sick for a day and I take him out all the time and don't mind if anyone touches/holds him!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 5:40:32 PM PST
Ok. So your kid is made of rubber and is immune to the effects of falling onto concrete? No? Ok then, so I still don't want little kids holding her. You don't mind it if an adult walks up and sneezes in your face? That's fine. I find it incredibly rude and don't want anyone doing it to me, let alone my child. I wash my hands before I eat. Kiddo eats her hands. Ergo, I want others to wash theirs before they touch her hands. You have no issues with somebody YOU don't know coming up to you in the middle of nowhere and taking your child away from you? That's fine. However, I'm legally responsible for my kid and just a wee bit emotionally attached and if I wouldn't trust a stranger with my wallet, I wouldn't trust them with my baby. But that's just me.

Now tell me again how I'm such a bad mother? I didn't quite understand you the first time.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 6:00:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:07:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 4:52:29 AM PST
I am not germophobic- I am just protective of my tiny baby especially during flu season. Her immune system is immature, and although I am exclusively bf she is still vulnerable to things that don't often effect us.
Please, my son is getting dirty every day, we live in a barn, vacation in a tent. 99 times out of 100 you look at his nails or face you will see copious amounts of dirt there. There are clumps of mud tracked through the house several times a day- and I leave them there until I get around to it.

That said, the stranger who just came from the bathroom, pushing her cart in the grocery store- now there's potential to even make me sick. I don't know how well if at all she washed her hands after wiping her behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 4:56:54 AM PST
No one is immune to E. coli FYI it an be serious or even fatal to an infant.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 5:56:19 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 7, 2012 11:07:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 8:32:46 AM PST
Bea Haven says:
I agree with being reasonable and balanced about protecting our children (and ourselves) from obvious sources of contamination. For example, if a person is sick with a contagious illness, I would appreciate him/her not coming into contact with my baby. I am an advocate of good handwashing before touching a baby. But some people take it too far and create problems--skin rashes due to too many baths, decreased resistence, social isolation, etc. Many potentially life-threatening organisms live on, in and around us. Unless the immune system is compromised, this paranoia of germs does more harm than good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 8:39:01 AM PST
Bea Haven says:
I bet if you cultured surfaces that your baby regularly comes into contact with (including you), you would find a multitude of potentially lethal bacteria. Generally, if a person is reasonable, stays clear of those with contagious illnesses, and is vigilant about handwashing, there's no reason for paranoia. I mean, really, your baby most likely entered the world through a vagina. It's really all uphill from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 8:49:55 AM PST
Bea Haven says:
It sounds like you are just being balanced and reasonable in protecting your child. I would do the same. I've known a mother, however, who put rude signs on the carrier/stroller warning people to stay away and not touch, kept the baby covered (blanket over face/under stroller hood) the whole time she was out, bathed the baby several times a day, etc. Any of my comments are not directed to people who take reasonable, balanced precautions--just those who go WAY overboard. Good health to you and Kiddo!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 11:08:02 AM PST
fonts says:
Maybe you should put your child in glass cage Cleo. Your being way over protective. I raised 3 children and helped with 6 grandchildren whom are all alive and healthy. Most went to daycare, ewwww can't you imagine the horrible germs there!! LOL, come on use your common sense when it comes to cleanliness. My 22 month old grandson plays in the mud, I get library books for him that have been touched by God only knows who, and he plays on the floor that has been walked on, even has picked up (who knows what) and put it in his mouth. He is a happy healthy baby, and I might add has never been sick a day in his life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 2:12:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2011 4:43:52 PM PST
KS says:
Escherichia coli is part of your normal intestinal flora. It is a mutualistic species that helps you break down food, protects you from pathogenic organisms, and produces vitamin K. In fact, the reason that hospitals administer vitamin K shots shortly after birth is because the newborn gut has not yet been colonized by "normal" E. coli, as well as other symbionts. "Normal" E. coli are pretty much everywhere and colonize very rapidly no matter how sterile you try to keep your surroundings, and that is actually a good thing. 

There are, of course, the pathogenic Escherichia coli strains (O157 is pretty notorious, but there are other EPEC and EHEC strains as well) that are those responsible for the outbreaks you hear about. These flourish in the intestinal tracts of cows that have been stuffed full of grains and antibiotics (pathogenic strains are often resistant to antibiotics which can kill off mutualistic bacteria, allowing pathogenic strains to flourish). Infection by these pathogenic strains occurs where meat or crops have been contaminated by infected cow feces. The best way to prevent infection by a pathogenic E. coli strain is to cook meat thoroughly and wash fruits and vegetables well (purchasing organic/free-range foods is often wise, because animals are not given antibiotic additives in their feed).

That being said, I'm not thrilled about strangers handling my baby, particularly when viral infection (cold and flu in particular) rates are high. However, my baby is super social and will reach for strangers while we are out (particularly on trains). Thus touching is simply unavoidable, and I've had to suck it up. Fortunately he's been extremely healthy so far, and as he gets older and his immune system matures I worry less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 7:34:23 AM PST
Yes, we all know that E. coli is part of our normal flora. But there is a delicate balance there, easily thrown off by bad diet, unfortunate ingestion of contaminated food (which can result in a mild to severe reaction in adults) and antibiotic use.
Each person has their own E.coli infection specific to them- and for an underdeveloped immune system- not a good idea to share!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 9:50:28 PM PST
KS says:
You seem to be missing my point. 

It is certainly true that each individual has a unique enteric flora. While environment (diet being the primary environmental parameter) influences the species/strain diversity of the flora, genotype appears to have a very large influence as well. Thus, contact with bacteria alone does not necessarily change the enteric floral composition. Establishment of a stable (note I did not say mature) enteric flora occurs within days of birth (Escherichia coli showing the largest amount of variation in the early stages of colonization). Mutualistic species such as E. coli and Bifidobacterium spp. (particularly in breastfed babies) once established preclude colonization by pathogenic strains in part by triggering the production of immune factors. E. coli is ubiquitous, and like it or not "sharing" is constantly occurring (although no one would advocate conscious transmission of E. coli, of course), but the normal flora prevents colonization by many extrinsic elements in the absence of specific virulence factors.

The main point that I was trying to make previously is that pathogenic Escherichia coli (which comprise a very small fraction of strain diversity) are most commonly transmitted via food vectors, and extremely rarely by skin to skin contact. Most human to human transmission occurs where an infected individual prepares food. While there may be some valid concern about E. coli infection given where you live and what you eat, it is very unlikely that an infant (or anyone else) will contract a pathogenic E. coli infection because he or she was touched by a stranger as E. coli is not adapted to this mode of transmission. 

Of course, that does not mean that there is no reason to be concerned about disease transmission through human to human physical contact. While highly unlikely, it is still possible for pathogenic Escherichia coli infection to occur through skin to skin contact. My point here is simply that there are far more worrisome pathogens than E. coli that are commonly transmitted this way. Someone coming out of a public bathroom is much more likely to pass on something like Enterobius vermicularis, as it is not only ubiquitous but the eggs are specifically adapted to adhere to the skin as a means of transmission. Influenza, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and corona virus are easily spread through physical contact, coughing, sneezing, etc. As far as transmission of bacterial species through physical contact, I would be much more concerned about species like Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Bordetella pertussis all of which are transmitted through contact with respiratory secretions. These are just a few examples of species that are vastly more problematic than E. coli in terms of transmission through physical contact. 

As was previously mentioned by B. Haven, in most cases, good hygiene and common sense is the best way to prevent disease transmission. From what you've previously posted, it appears that you practice both of these prophylactic measures wisely. My sole point of contention is the concern over specifically Escherichia coli transmission via skin to skin contact. It just bothers me that a predominantly mutualistic species is so often castigated as a preeminent concern to the exclusion of far more problematic pathogens, particularly via a transmission route that it is unlikely to take.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:46:12 AM PST
Thank you for your clarification on E.coli. I understand your concern over its bad reputation, and apologize for using it as a prime example.

My point is-while hygiene is the best means of protection, I know for a fact the lady taking my money and everyone else's at the register did NOT run off to wash her hands before reaching for my baby's hands.
I am just asking for some thoughtfulness from the general public.
I know, I am asking WAY too much. Now my baby is teething and putting her hands in her mouth. Is it really too much to ask? The flu, pneumonia, pertussis, worms... All very devastating to a 3 1/2 month - old.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 9:20:02 AM PST
D. Johnson says:
Oh who cares what all the other people who didnt take precautionary measures to protect their child at a young age, which is their due dilligence, think! Look, whoever made the comment about their 22 month old grandson hush! not hardly the same. realize he is no longer a "baby" and is now the age of children that are mentioned here as having those "mature" germs. Im the youngest of 11, have 29 nieces and nephews, mother to one and pregnant with my 2nd. Is it inevitable to come into contact with germs?? YES! But they should be exclusive. As a medically trained professional do you know the one thing that could drastically reduce the impact of flu season?? handwashing. So am I asking people to wear rubber gloves before you touch my son or give me a printout of your childs latest vaccinations?? NO What im asking is for you to grow-up, no one wants someone elses germs. Child or not. Because when Im at the urgent care at 3am because your child or YOU touched my baby's hands without washing, you'll be sound asleep. And everyone who states "I WOULD do the same thing" If you dont have kids you dont understand so dont comment because mother-hood changes morale(if your a good momma anyway). Bottom line is its not your job to judge if Im being "paranoid" or "over-protective" its mine! and as far as the "babys come from vaginas and they're dirty" comment that has to a man becuase If you wash yours daily and dont put nasty things in it it really shouldnt be??? hmmm. Anyway my point is: all kids will be exposed to germs, but let me decide when im ready and to what degree and by who?? Or are you going to follow me around for life and advise me on other pivotal moments in my childs life. And tree hugger LLC I hate to break it to you, I want the same courtesy and fore thought from the general public but we can tell just by some of the ignorance faced here on this forum we probably wont be getting it any time soon unless we demand it and hurt the feelings of many people on the way. Unfortunately thats just where we live!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 9:58:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 11:55:34 AM PST
KS says:
I'm not sure why you seem to think that I am okay with random people handling young infants. You state "The flu, pneumonia, pertussis, worms... All very devastating to a 3 1/2 month - old." Please take note that I mentioned every single one of these pathogens as legitimate reasons to be concerned about physical contact with strangers in my last post. Google "New England Journal of Medicine Enterobius vermicularis video"** if you would like to second guess every handshake from here on out (E. vermicularis is extremely well adapted for transmission via physical contact). Yuck. Admittedly E. vermicularis infections are rarely that severe and I'm certainly not going to refuse to shake hands with anyone because of it, but if that doesn't make a case for thorough hand-washing then I don't know what does. And unfortunately you just don't know if a stranger has washed their hands very well recently or even at all.

So I, in fact, agree that you don't really want strangers handling a very young infant. I usually have my baby in an Ergo when we're out, and I've found that strangers are not very likely to try to touch him while he is in the carrier because his is pretty firmly affixed to mom. He's big enough now, however, that he is the one reaching out for others and it doesn't work quite so well, but his adaptive immune system is also better versed in antigen recognition so I'm not as worried about it these days.

**Edit: The video gets up close and personal with an infected bowel, so do NOT watch it if you have a weak stomach for such things. Also, I should mention that the infection shown, if I remember correctly, is likely a result of consumption of tainted food, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 10:07:35 AM PST
KS says:
I also take issue with the idea of vaginal delivery being somehow dirty. Vaginal delivery, along with breastfeeding, promotes early colonization by a health microflora and had been shown to promote disease resistance in infants.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 2:11:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 2:14:43 PM PST
just to clarify, I do not think you are okay with strangers handling infant- you made that clear in your first post. I think you may have misinterpreted my latest post- easy to do, they are just words :) And I am typing fast, and probably leaving some out- baby is teething & VERY fussy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:46:23 PM PST
KS says:
Oh, okay. Sorry! I totally misunderstood. I thought that second part of your post was directed at me. We're all getting over a cold here (topical, eh?), and as I'm sure you know - mama doesn't get much sleep when everyone is sick. Clearly my brain isn't functioning at it's peak, as further evidenced by my waning command of the English language.

And don't worry, we won't be doing any touching in the event that we need to break quarantine while we are ill!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 4:54:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 5:00:33 PM PST
Felicia says:
When my god-daughter was born, I purchased a huge box of sanitary wipes. CLEAN YOUR HANDS! Baby's are always putting their hands in their mouth. Why would you kiss their hands or rub their hands across your face? Alot of people do it without thinking. It is up to the parent to stop people from doing this. When your baby catches germs from them and gets sick, YOU are the one in the emergency room with the child and up all night. It's just common sense and proper hygiene.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Baby forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions